Fenix AAA E05 now using XP-E2??? I think so.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received 2 new Fenix E05's. One is black and the other is blue. The black has a tighter focused hotspot while the blue is almost all flood. I thought that maybe the blue was using an XPG as some versions did use that emitter.

Looking at the LED the emitter board on the blue light is green. It has the 3 emitter areas on the die so it's an XP-E. An XPG has the 4 areas on the die.

The black light LED board is either white or silver with no green. I also cannot see any emitter die areas. This would mean that Fenix has quietly upgraded the LED in this light to an XP-E2. The package still indicates 27 lumens. I really like the beam of this better than the blue light. It has a better throw but is smooth due to the nice optic these lights use. The black has a definite beam profile transitioning to flood. I really like this light a lot. Tint is great without the harsh cold.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
syaty1.jpg
v3q70x.jpg

Difference is quite simple to see :) grey one is xp-.2.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. Mine is on my keys next to me so I looked. I couldn't remember if you could even see the green board because the plastic lens is so diffuse, but you can see the green if you look right down the center. If it's silver or you can't see green there is a good chance it is the newer xp-e2.

I think they probably would say though on their site? Did somebody check?

chazz

Enlightened
I just got a new E05, it does look like the XP-E2 emitter, anyone know what bin # they are using in these newer ones? The packaging and web page still just say XP-E so not much use there.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am more impressed with the E05 than I expected. I had no idea how nice and useful this light is. The tint is fantastic and beam profile is great for a small light. The XP-E2 works really well with the optic and gives a bit of throw with the flood. I think the output level is ideal too 30+ lumens. This has replaced the Revo in my pocket.

For a small light, it's easy to turn on one handed due to the body design. I'm looking to pick another up when they come back in stock. I'll go for a black since I think the popularity of the black and turnover gives a better guarantee of having the latest LED. The blue model has the green board LED with slightly less output and not much throw at all compared with the black.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can check the Fenix serial number. it will tell you XR-E2

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
That site is pretty cool. However, it may not be 100% accurate if the serial number is close to a change in emitter. My number indicates XPE R4 but my board has no green and I cannot see any die wires. I suspect it is the XPE2 from photos comparing XPE and XPE2.

chazz

Enlightened
I just checked a few of mine, they are all clearly the XP-E2, but the Fenix site has them all listed as XP-E R4. I am guessing they just do not differentiate between XP-E and XP-E2, so does that mean they are XP-E2 R4 ?? No idea. I just know that all my XP-E2 lights have a nicer tint beam than the XP-E lights I have, plus higher efficiency so that is good.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the tint on the XP-E2 is fantastic. It's very neutral without tint shift or harshness that is typical in cool whites.

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
I received a HP25 from fenix with XP-E2 a while ago. Supposedly Fenix said it was due to low XP-E supply at the time. I actually want to get a E35 with a XP-E2 if they are upgrading to XP-E2 emitters.

chazz

Enlightened
I actually want to get a E35 with a XP-E2 if they are upgrading to XP-E2 emitters.

I don't know about the E35, but the E05, E11 and E21 I got recently are all the XP-E2 emitter. So its a pretty good chance, but might want to verify somehow before ordering.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about the E35, but the E05, E11 and E21 I got recently are all the XP-E2 emitter. So its a pretty good chance, but might want to verify somehow before ordering.
My two E35 flashlights both have the XP-E2, while my E21 has the older XP-E (with the green emitter board). Both E35 lights show no tint shift in lower modes. They both have tremendous output and throw. The middle mode (50 lumens) on my E35 lights is noticeably brighter than my E21 on low (54 lumens). My E35 and E21 have the same size hotspot when shined on a white wall, so I think the difference in perceived brightness is due to the XP-E2.

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened

Did you ordered from the fenix-store? if only someone ordered a E35 recently can confirm...

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
Did you ordered from the fenix-store? if only someone ordered a E35 recently can confirm...
I ordered both of my E35s from Fenix-Store. I get next day shipping, as their operation is just up the turnpike from me. I got the first one two weeks ago, and the second one arrived on Christmas Eve. Based on the pictures shown in kj2's reply (post #2), both of mine have the XP-E2.

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
I ordered both of my E35s from Fenix-Store. I get next day shipping, as their operation is just up the turnpike from me. I got the first one two weeks ago, and the second one arrived on Christmas Eve. Based on the pictures shown in kj2's reply (post #2), both of mine have the XP-E2.

Awesome, that is great news.

I will order one to give it a try. Thanks!

Last edited:

frosty

Enlightened
I've just ordered an E35 from HK Equipment. It's going to take a few weeks to get here but I'll let you know if its a gen 2 XP-E.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'd be pretty poor form to order one of these (e35) from one of the above retailers, & return it if it didn't have the updated emitter, right?

What does it give you btw, extra runtime or output?

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
The XP-E2 gives a 110 degrees angle vs 115 for XP-E and XP-E2 is 2 bin higher than XP-E for a comparable bin (about 10-14% more output).

So if a XP-E R4 gives you 200 lumen, a XP-E2 R4 will gives you up to 228 lumen for the same runtime. It will also gives you a slightly tighter hotspot thanks to the smaller viewing angle (should give a tiny bit more throw).