little advice on the SC52....?

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Hey guys. So, after reading countless threads,vids and articles, I think I'm in love with the SC52. But, i think i could use some advice. And, these questions I did not find anywhere in my reading, so I hope you guys can help me know what Im going to expect.
1. First, I see all the threads about greenish tint. I would really prefer a nice neutral white. I don't like cool and not crazy about a warm or greenish tinted one. So, could anyone give me any advice on which model to go for(52 or 52w?) And, ive read that some people are getting the vendors to actually hand pick a good one...? Any ideas on vendors that might go the extra step for a customer to be 100% happy?
2. Im thinking of using the 14500 batts for the extra lumens on H1, but this will be my first 14500 purchase so can anyone comment on a good batt and charger, possibly car charger for this? Will this light step down after only 1 minute even with using the 14500 batteries? It seems quite a short time only to stay on high output, but reading the reviews it doesn't seem like its a problem for anyone really.
3. May sound silly, but I actually prefer the lighter olive green anodizing than the darker greyish ones. Im assuming I can't up the odds to get a lighter color from some vendor out there.....maybe?

And again, thanks very much for all your help. Don't be afraid to yell out any great vendors to get this from. I know IS has them, but i know they are very busy operation so I doubt anyone would have time to pick me a good tinted one. And i know ZL is supposed to be coming out with another light in this class with possibly better tint? Any idea how long till its released? I think i still need one for now anyway!
Oh well, I figured you guys who have had these lights for a little bit now might be able to offer some buying advice. So again thanks.

Dave

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a great light. I can tell you that I'm quite happy with the tint on the cool white. It doesn't seem much higher than 5000K to my eyes. The tint to me only exhibits green bias at the very low levels. As almost any current controlled light with low low modes does.

For the 14500, yes the step down is after just one minute but it only drops to 280 which is very bright. Also it will run flatter than on NiMH. You can double click twice to reset the burst mode if you want without turning the light off.
I've had this light as an edc for almost a year and never once has it disappointed me.

cyclesport

Enlightened
The SC52 is a really great EDC light and has IMO truly bridged the gap w/16340/CR123 lights. I have both the cool and neutral versions of this light and both exhibit some small amount of slightly green tint so common on XM-L/XM-L2 emitters. Maybe I have been luckier than others, however mine are both quite acceptable. *(Also...both of mine are 1st gen lights bought as pre-orders FWIW in terms of tint and the lighter version anno). I'm also awaiting delivery of the new ZL H52w headlamp, and as some that have already received delivery are reporting a somewhat rose tint with the XM-L2 in this light (Nichia 219?)...speculation is that the newer gen SC52w's may also have this same tint? Somewhat reaching I know, but it has me pondering ordering another SC52w and asking a dealer to select one for me if indeed this is true of the newer SC52w's?

Razzle

Enlightened
My new SC52 has quickly become my EDC, I love the tint, whatever one calls it.

I use AW14500 protected batteries, and my Nitecore Intellicharger.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Ok well I am feeling a bit better and I hope everything works out ok. Any recommendation on what batteries I can purchase for this? As I said I want to use the best batteries I can and I believe that's the 14500s but I want to buy a good quality set of 14500's and a charger. Should I buy everything ZL? Or am I better off going with another brand? Again I am new to 14500s and want to get ones that will last. Thanks again

cyclesport

Enlightened
Aw's are always a quality choice but I've had just as good of performance from Intl' Outdoors & Keeppower 14500's @ approx 75% the cost of AW's, a better value IMO...(both use Sanyo cells if memory serves)? I like Nitecore's Intellicharger V2 (4 bay) for ease of use (sliders instead of spacers)...low cost a around $25...and Ni-MH and Li-ion charging. The new ThruNite Universal MCC-4 Charger also looks very promising and am about to order one as well. Review...http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?370547-Review-of-Charger-ThruNite-MCC-4

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight cells are nice as well. I believe they have slightly higher capacity than the AW (840 mAh vs 750 I believe, someone please correct me if I am wrong). Mine have been working well, like the my SC52 I've been using them for a year.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Hey guys thanks a lot for the info. I am pretty excited about this light, i just hope I don't get a really green one. Im guessing I should play it safe and go with a cool white instead of a warm.....
I will check out the ZL cells and the Nitecore V2 charger. And I think i will buy the AW protected cells since everyone swears by them.
Do i need to look for button tops or something in particular for this light? I will order these probably tonite.

Also, any recommendations on where to buy the light? Thanks again guys, I can't wait!

dave

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
... i just hope I don't get a really green one. Im guessing I should play it safe and go with a cool white instead of a warm.....

Also, any recommendations on where to buy the light?

Good luck on the lottery, my CW is the greenest light in my collection...here's a moonlight mode comparison clicky. I think you should buy directly from them, just in case you are unsatisfied with the tint and want to return it.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Wow yea, I see what you mean. Definitely greener. I think I will take your advice and order from ZL.
Now just gotta get some batts and a charger.....looking those up now. Thanks

burntoshine

Enlightened
I love my SC52w. Good neutral tint; no green. I use AW cells and the PILA IBC charger. AW and PILA were recommended to me by several users on this forum when I was getting into lithium-ion, so that is what I will recommend. Pila sells a car charger attachment separately. You can get both the cells and charger from lighthound.com. I got my light directly from ZL.

Enjoy the light! It's a good one.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
great. I am looking mostly to get some use out of the Turbo mode so i figured the 14500, but am open to options. You see, I have been reading like forever about these lights and some others, but mostly general stuff that i need to learn. Now, the whole battery thing, Lithium vs. NMHi, vs. 14500, vs. envelops.......its just so much. And to be honest, i keep on reading thinking its gonna start making sense, but I still don't really understand the difference. I don't want to have to be charging my battery everyday just because i plan on using this little light sometimes for the wow factor of 500lm, but want a good battery and charger that will give me good runtime also, although maybe thats not possible with the burst mode here?
Also, im thinking the i4 charger. This is because I plan on buying another light that takes 18650s, and want to be able to charge both kinds of cells in my car. It seems to make sense that perhaps I can buy this charger, and charge two 14500's(probably ZL), and two 18650s, at the same time.
Can i do this with the i4 charger?
And, is something like the ZL 14500's the best option for me as far as this goes? Again, please understand my frustration with all this info, I just want my new light!, and Im trying my best to try to understand the differences between different types of cells. So, any advice is more than welcome and thanks again for the patience.

dave

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I have a sc52 cool
has a little green tint but only can be seen on a white wall,
the best UI of all my lights,
best made (quality) light I have ownwd so far,
use the zl 14500 battery with no problems,
use the 2 port nitecore I2 ($12) with no problems,
when I was looking for an AA battery EDC l tried others because I thought the sc52 was overpriced, then one day I bought one and now realize it is the best and worth every penny.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
oh man, this is exactly what I am hoping for, and due to all the good things you guys say about this light, Im sure I will.

Do you guys think I should opt for the 52 or the 52w for a nice neutral white?

Those PILA charger looks very expensive.....if they are the safest and best, i guess I will buy it. Do you guys think its wise to buy more than 2 batts and the charger? And again, will these chargers accept this battery AND the 18650s? thanks again for your patience
edit: i think i will go with the i2 or i4 charger, as it is cheaper and still hear good things.

Does it make the most sense to buy the ZL batt for the ZL light? OR does it not matter? thanks

dave

Last edited:

RIX TUX

Enlightened
oh man, this is exactly what I am hoping for, and due to all the good things you guys say about this light, Im sure I will.

Do you guys think I should opt for the 52 or the 52w for a nice neutral white?

Those PILA charger looks very expensive.....if they are the safest and best, i guess I will buy it. Do you guys think its wise to buy more than 2 batts and the charger? And again, will these chargers accept this battery AND the 18650s? thanks again for your patience
edit: i think i will go with the i2 or i4 charger, as it is cheaper and still hear good things.

Does it make the most sense to buy the ZL batt for the ZL light? OR does it not matter? thanks

dave
the nitecore charger charges all batteries except eneloops(dont know why)...........
most good 14500 batteries are 8-10 dollars and are 700-800 mah so i got the zl one because it was probably designed for the sc52 and I'm pretty sure all the top brands may be the same battery - just a different wrapper.............
I'm a cool tint type myself...........
The way I looked at my purchase of a sc52 was if I didn't like it I could sell it on ebay for near what I paid for it.

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
I purchased a first run SC52 Cool white and the Zebralight 14500 and already had the Nitecore i4 charger. The only issue with using the 14500 regardless of brand is runtime, as it is nearly half the mah of the eneloops. The Eneloops will charge on the Nitecore charger, but I purchased the Powerex MAHA MH-9000 for the AA batteries(eneloops) as it has many more options in keeping them charged correctly. You may want to get 2 of the 14500 batteries so you have a fresh one on hand. Since I purchased the ZC52, it is my EDC and is so small I sometimes don't know I have it on me :)

I would definitely recommend the light over the larger SC600 as it is truly a EDC sized light.

Hope that helps. You should be able to get a good deal from illumination supply or E2fieldgear on Zebras and the batteries. The chargers as well...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The only issue with using the 14500 regardless of brand is runtime, as it is nearly half the mah of the eneloops....

You need to look at the total energy in terms of watt-hrs (VxMah). A 14500 will have greater runtime than a standard Eneloop for a given lumen level.

3.7x750=2.8 w-h
1.2x2000= 2.4 w-h

(Except perhaps over a long term due to increased parasitic drain the SC52 has with 14500s)

Last edited:

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
This will be replacing my E11 as my edc. I don't know if i said it, but I'm excited to pull the trigger on this!

Okay, so the i4 will or won't also charge eneloops? I ask, because in case i get it and hate the runtimes with the 14500, I can always use eneloops and still save more money than using what I use now, primaries. So that last post or two might have confused me more. If i don't buy anything extra like the Powerex and just get the i4 with lets say, 2 ZL 14500s, and a few eneloops, will that be ok? thanks again for explaining

edit: what about the cotton picker usb charger that some are talking about? Will that work? Or am i better with an i4? Thanks
dave

Last edited:

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I read before I got an I2 charger that it didnt fully charge eneloops all the way but it dosent matter (to me) because most eneloops come with their own sanyo charger(in the kit). And I think I4 is the same.

If you only have one light just get 2 14500's, but most of the people here at cpf with the "sickness" have many eneloops.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 14500's give a higher voltage than eneloops so comparing the mah needs to be looked at carefully. My ZL 14500 is doing fine. The nitecore 2 bay charger works for me. I got only one 14500 because AA alkaline can work in a pinch, if lesser performance is OK in an emergency, and I have other torches as backups for each other. I am looking to get a 1 cell 18650 flashlight to get more capacity (longer runtime at brighter levels) than my beloved (even though it's greenish at lower levels) SC52.