Maglite battery help?

samirfuzzywuzzy

Newly Enlightened
I need to get 6 volts of power in a 2d maglite so I can use the malkoff xml dropin. Also what power options do i have in a 4d at also 6v. Im new here and have searched for a long time but I cant get an exact answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to get 6 volts of power in a 2d maglite so I can use the malkoff xml dropin. Also what power options do i have in a 4d at also 6v. Im new here and have searched for a long time but I cant get an exact answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned module will work with 3 or 4 cells.
3 rechargeable NiMH or alkaline "C" will work in 2D fine. You will need to modify tail spring and use PVC tube.
For longer run time, you can use 60mm extension tube for 3 full size "D" cells.
4D M*g is fine with same module.
There are many more options too but will cost higher.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did well, 3 posts and got a reply from one of the most knowledgeable CPF members.

I can add: It's a great dropin!
Malkoff XML is not 6V. It is designed for 3-4 NiMh. So 3.6-4.8V.
He mentions 3 or 4 C or D Alkalines will also work. (The 1.5V Alkaline cells will sag considerably under the load of XML dropin so 4.5 or 6V for 3 or 4 Alkalines is not what you should consider operating voltage.)

samirfuzzywuzzy

Newly Enlightened
so 3 nimh "c" will work in 2d and still give me good power. The reason I thought it needs 6v is because it says this on the site "It operates on 3 or 4D size NIMH rechargable batteries."

So I thought that 4 d nimh would be 6 volts. It also says in the site that the module should not be run at over 6v's so I figured 6 and under is safe? I apologize if im asking something stupid but its just that i dont fully understand.

Also fivemega mentions higher cost options, what would those be?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Each NiMH cell is 1.2 volts: 3 C = 3.6 volts. 4 = 4.8 volts. All properly within the operating voltage range.

More expensive options include battery holders and Li-ion cells/packs, but these add a lot of cost and complication when the drop-in doesn't become any brighter with added voltage.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I thought it needs 6v is because it says this on the site "It operates on 3 or 4D size NIMH rechargable batteries."

So I thought that 4 d nimh would be 6 volts. It also says in the site that the module should not be run at over 6v's so I figured 6 and under is safe? I apologize if im asking something stupid but its just that i dont fully understand.

5 NiMH cells would be just above maximum limit of 6 volts when fully recharged. So to be in safe side, better not to go more than 4 cells.
===================

Also fivemega mentions higher cost options, what would those be?

Just few good options but not all:
1- You can cut down your M*g D to size of 1D and quad bore it to use 4AA
2- You can cut down your M*g D to size of 1D to use single 18650 or single 26650
3- You can cut down your M*g D to size of 1.25D and dual bore to use 2 parallel 18650
4- You can quad bore your M*g 2D to use 2 parallel / 4 serial AA

samirfuzzywuzzy

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys thank you so much for all the help. After scouring the pages of CPF to the best of my ability, I have decided that a mag-lite mod might not be the best thing for me to look into for my first decent light. I have decided to do a valeno quantum for my keys and a quark HV head with 2x14500. I figure I can do some trit and gitd to the 4seven also.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 NiMH C cells and some PVC pipe as a spacer. May need a quarter coin on the negative spring. Mag mod done. The pipe holds the C cells neatly stacked.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if the C cell mod is too hard, you could just get 4x 1/2D cells. It's about 30 bucks for 4 not including shipping costs (almost doubled the cost for me). Slightly less capacity than good C cells though.

samirfuzzywuzzy

Newly Enlightened
I think 4 half d cells is next for sure! Just got my veleno and quark so now back to fixing my maglite up

Rexlion

Enlightened
5 NiMH cells would be just above maximum limit of 6 volts when fully recharged. So to be in safe side, better not to go more than 4 cells.
===================

Just few good options but not all:
1- You can cut down your M*g D to size of 1D and quad bore it to use 4AA
2- You can cut down your M*g D to size of 1D to use single 18650 or single 26650
3- You can cut down your M*g D to size of 1.25D and dual bore to use 2 parallel 18650
4- You can quad bore your M*g 2D to use 2 parallel / 4 serial AA
Regarding use of a single 18650 or 26650, instead of cutting the light, one could use a longer spring. I bought a 2C like that... long spring, pvc sleeve, single 18650. Seems easier than cutting and re-threading.