Is there any LED light that you keep coming back to?

wjv

Enlightened
Is there any LED light that you keep coming back to?

I have some lights that I rarely ever use. Some because they would be hard to replace (ITP C8), and others because they just didn't work out as expected.

I have other lights that I use, but am ambivalent about most of the time. My nightstand might have a PD32, PD32UE or a TK15. All great lights but it's random as to what one is in my nightstand at any time.

I have several lights that are good EDC lights (LightStar-80, D25A, E11, L3 - L10, ITP A2, PD22, LD10), but every time I end up using one of them as an EDC, within a few days, I ALWAYS end up going back to having my Foursevens Mini-ML + a spare battery in my front pants pocket, and 3-4 spare batteries in my work bag.

It's pretty darn hard to beat the comfort associated with carrying something the size of a Mini-ML, but still having over 200 lumens available. All for ~$40. The light and a spare battery fit right next to my wallet in my left front pocket.

No matter what else I buy, I just keep gravitating back to that Mini-ML. . .

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
PD20 R2 for me. It's a solid light with a great beam profile for EDC, not too throwy, not too floody. The low mode is sufficient for most tasks and if not, a quick soft press of the switch and you have plenty of light.

I should have bought two...

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
for me, i guess it would be my surefire E2DL. its not the brightest, nor has the best looking beam. its LED is somewhat outdated. its not cost efficient because i use disposable cr123 cells. its not the smallest, although its fairly compact for a 2x CR123 lights. but whenever i need a little more lumens than what my normal EDCs can provide, i grab the E2DL.
simple, yet two very useful outputs, and its been 100% reliable, while taking a beating. feel great in hand, and easy to slip into pockets.

Theron

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 M361N-LMH with High-Low Switch

I like the Alpha Ready-Made's beam more, but the Malkoff fits in shorts' pockets much better since it's a bit shorter and has a high-riding clip.
The LLLL level is really useful in movie theaters and in vehicles as well.

I should probably get the Alpha Shorty body.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I bought RRT 01 by jet beam or sunwayman. Mr Elfin I have ignored many other lights.
The Jetbeam works so well in many applications. It can be on my nightstand with superlow or have nearly 500 lm available if I need it.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Fenix TK20- it lives on the side by the back door, it's too heavy to EDC and has an outdated LED, and gets my crappy NiMh's that don't hold a charge too well, but it was one of my first 'proper' lights and still one of my favourite lights to use.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready TorchLab Pocket Triple. I have a couple versions of this with different bodies to Lego.
Once I got these, I found no use for other lights. I just stopped buying after that.
These do everything I want, are the highest quality, and versatile configurations too.

I have one cool version and one neutral version, and a variety of bodies and tails. Can't think of anything else that I need or want after that. I haven't been selling any of my other stuff off yet, but nothing else really gets much use anymore.

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
I edc my Sunwayman V11R but I'd say that the lights I like the most are the ones that use a Nichia 219: Malkoff M61 219, L3 Illumination L10 219 (also an edc), Nailbender dropins (several), and I'm sure my pre-ordered HDS 219 as well. The tint of the beam is just perfect for me.

- Tim

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fourseven Quarks started me on obsession with efficient sub-/low- lumen, 1xAA/14500, EDC lights. I've tried a bunch in this class, but I just keep coming back to my favorite Quark (NW QAAX). Every new light I try, only makes me appreciate the QAAX more, and it's over 2 yrs old. Here's the portfolio so far.

clicky

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a first-gen SC600 (no plans to update; mark II is nice, but not worth paying the price of the light again for it).

For one reason or another, though, I'm always finding uses for my Shiningbeam L-Mini (bought back when they were called Little Mini). I swapped out the driver with a fully regulated two-stage one (actually one with several presets permanently set to two-stage) and the XR-E with a SSC P4 and then a XP-G; I plan no further upgrades, as a XM-L would be hard to focus with the existing optics and there isn't enough metal in the light to sink the heat from more powerful LEDs.

Ah, who am I kidding - I'm always going back to it because when you put so much work in a light you can't help but like it over anything else that wasn't made by you. The L-Mini will never be as awesome as a stock SC600, but it's my baby. :D

LedTed

Enlightened
My old Nitecore D10 is still one of my most-carried EDC lights.

I'm with you yowzer! Like many of us, I gifted several lights including the venerable NightCore D10. I decided to replace the D10s; even though I ended up replacing them with yet older versions. So, I usually have a D10 by my side or very nearly at hand.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I keep coming back to my Lambda light varapower 2000 because it works! I've had so many lights the past 4 years almost all break, have glitches etc. The varapower has been my most reliable light by far. The UI is so simple a monkey can use it and it's too big to EDC and lose and that makes it easier to find in the house!

Latest posts