modding 1xaa mini mag help

las3r

Enlightened
hey guys looking to build a small 1x14500 mini mag and im looking for a driver to power it, looking to use a cree xml u2 led or a triple build ??? looking for max output for either build thanks for any help

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing is impossible. Your wish is close though.
Search CPF and you'll find much info pointing out the problems and limitations of a mini mag.
For 1 x AA, an IMR 14500 could power a single XML at 3A for short time. Maybe 2 minutes?
By that time either driver or LED should have failed due to heat (in a Mini mag)

It is not a realistic goal, unless you consider 500mA to LED acceptable. In that case why use an XML?

TexasLumens

Newly Enlightened
hey guys looking to build a small 1x14500 mini mag and im looking for a driver to power it, looking to use a cree xml u2 led or a triple build ??? looking for max output for either build thanks for any help

I chopped one like this last week for a guy... He did a triple and it is now 875 lumens out the front according to his box. he is using a Noctigon triple, with 3 XP-G2 R5 2D emitters pulling 2.85A on an Efest IMR14500.... but I don't know exactly what driver he decided on. I do know it was a Qlites You might look and see if they have something you like. I think he played with a couple. If you build a good fitting pill & go at it right, these can be a lot of fun. They will get warm! Just make sure and have plenty of contact with the head / pill fit. I either thread the inside of the head or I make the fit close enough that it is a press fit. Light press, but certainly not a "Drop In". Just have fun!!!
BigLittleStars.jpg

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just looked on my desk and i've got a little 1xaa cut down I think that Mac did for me way way back in the day. I think at one time it had a LuxIII pill in it and I used a MCR14500 in it. I don't know what happened to that pill I probably sold it in another light. If I built another I think i'd try to get a decent runtime out of it rather than something that'll run for 2 minutes and give me 3rd degree burns in the process. I'd recomend some nice .5a to maybe 1a build that'll give you at least some good runtime. Not going to get a whole lot out of a 14500.

TexasLumens

Newly Enlightened
I just looked on my desk and i've got a little 1xaa cut down I think that Mac did for me way way back in the day. I think at one time it had a LuxIII pill in it and I used a MCR14500 in it. I don't know what happened to that pill I probably sold it in another light. If I built another I think i'd try to get a decent runtime out of it rather than something that'll run for 2 minutes and give me 3rd degree burns in the process. I'd recomend some nice .5a to maybe 1a build that'll give you at least some good runtime. Not going to get a whole lot out of a 14500.

Hallis, for my part I agree... we build quite a lot of lights from scratch and chop these mags mostly for fun. But I like something that is reasonable and highly functional. The little Maglites chopped down are fun though...and can be pretty handy / functional if the right components and thought are applied. Like you said, .5a to 1a. Dan.

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
I've done chopped minis for 14500 and 14650 and while I agree that a 3A max is a bit much for such a small light 2.1-2.2A is not at all unreasonable for driving a single XML, xpg or triple Nichia and makes for a very handy light. My driver of choice is the 7135 based 101 AK series( all chips on one side) for ease of construction and up to 1.4A stock or add chips for more output. It's a great mod and fantastic upgrade to an easily obtained light.