Flashlight Grip

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

What is your preferred texture for a flashlight grip? The surface itself, not the battery compartment config? I can think of a few as follows:

Knurled (Surefire, Arc, & several others)
Stippled (Tigerlight)
Closed cell foam (ASP Taclite)
Smooth (Streamlight SL-35, Fliklite)
Bumpy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif(dorcy)
Fluted Horiontally (Inova X5)
Fluted Vertically (Steamlight TL-2 LED)
Sectioned (Surefire C2?)
Rubberized (Streamlight Scorpion)
Marbled (Lightwave)
Custom (skateboard tape, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif etc.) describe

What has worked for you and why?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess for me it depends on the situation. If I'm inside, where my hands won't get wet, I like either smooth or knurled. If outside, where there's a possibility of getting my hands wet, I like rubberized, like those covers for Maglites made by Niteize. They also have a built-in handle to help keep a grip.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I surmise that reviewers such as Craig, Doug, Brock, and Chris may be able to chime in with more detailed info since they have seen more of a variety of lights than most members. Let's hear from them.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
I too think it depends on the situation. The knurling on the Arc AAA is very smooth, while the Dorcys usually have a rubber grip. I personally think the grip only matters if its a non-conventional switching mechanism - twist-on, tailcap button (tactical) etc.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I have been pleased with the grips on my various Surefire and Arc lights. I have not had the dropsies as much as with the G@g lights and my Infinity Ultra. In tne case of the G@g light it is a 3 D and heavy. Most comfortable light is the TAC light for me with the foam rubber inlay, very nice. The barrel size of the E2e, A2 and L4 are very good for my hands. Very good ergos for EDC for my use.

mporter

Newly Enlightened
The new generation of quality binoculars from companies like Swarovski, Zeiss, Pentax, Nikon, etc. have softer, rubber-like, good-grip surfaces that resist dings and sratches quite well. Unlike bare metal, they are hand-friendly in cold weather. I'd like to see that technology used more on flashlights.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the bike tyre tubing on my E1e/KL1 EDC. It lessens the wear on other items in my pocket from the aggressive knurling while protecting the body from unnecessary scratches. Besides that, it allows for a better grip without leaving a print (of the knurling) on your palm after using it!
Otherwise, I'd have to say that the Arc AAA/AA knurling is the best I've come across so far, not too aggressive yet functional enough.

roguesw

Enlightened
Stanley, interesting idea of bike tire tubing, is this just regular inner tyre tubing used for bicycles?
wanting something to protect my mcluxes
cheers
Des

gadgetboy

Newly Enlightened
The inner tube thing is popular with people that own Austrian Tupperware. I'd considered it with the L4/E2 because the things are already thinner than most other lights and they can take the added diameter, and it provides an inexpensive/removable option for those that don't like the aggresive checkering on those lights.

I'll say it agian though. Don't forget about the G2. when polymer meets polymer nobody gets scratched. besides, it's ribbed for your pleasure.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
roguesw said:
Stanley, interesting idea of bike tire tubing, is this just regular inner tyre tubing used for bicycles?
wanting something to protect my mcluxes
cheers
Des

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Rogue,
Yup, i got it off a friend of mine who has a road bicycle. Its the inner tube from a typical 'racing bike' and fits very snugly, but takes a bit of effort though. You can take a look at this thread here for some links to some of the photos I put up. Sorry about the quality of the photos, but you get the idea of what it looks like... Drop me a PM if you need more details. Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knurling is my favorite, and I really like the round knurled surface combined with milled flats, like on the SF E2e.
It's probably easier to explain why knurling works for me by comparing it to the others listed.
It's more secure (particularly with wet hands or gloves) than the stippled, smooth, or fluted because of its bi-directional texturing, doesn't force your hand into a given position for comfort like the bumpy or sectioned, zero maintenance and doesn't tear or stretch like closed cell foam, or hang up in pockets or pouches like rubber.
Not sure what is meant by "marbled".
Knurling is simple. It doesn't add anything negative like size, weight, odd shape, or less durable material to the light, or give up security in favor of cosmetics or cost (like fluting and smooth, respectively).

I would like to see more aggressive knurling on most lights, though, especially EDC or "task" lights, where you may be holding more in your hand than just the flashlight, or have the light in a less than full grip for whatever reason.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
what stanley did was really neat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget about the G2. when polymer meets polymer nobody gets scratched. besides, it's ribbed for your pleasure.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts