Long forgotten lights!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are lights you may have purchased a while back, may have been somewhat disappointed in for whatever reason, but hung onto them and put them in a drawer someplace! Or maybe you sent them to the island of misfit lights!! :nana: Is there one you just recently "rediscovered" and have given another chance? :eek: For me, I just found my old Nitecore Defender Infinity and have started using it around the house again. I used to hate the way you set the modes on it. It was great once you got it configured, but frustrating initially. Anybody else have a light or two like this?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L0D: it's a shame the XR-E has fallen by the wayside because the new emitters just don't have the tint/throw
Emissive Energy X5: in terms of looks, durability, ease of use and runtime, I'm not sure this will ever be topped

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still love the form factor of the Nu Way Q3. Plenty of possible mod, nice reflector, it used to be my favorite light to test boards or LEDs.

ill_eagle

Newly Enlightened
I found a 3p the other day. Its got laser products on the light with surefire on the tail cap. Pretty sure it bought it that way new.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightwave 4000.

This light seems to last forever on 3 D batteries.

(Wish they made 1.2V NiMH or 1.5V lithium D batteries, so I wouldn't have to use alkaline batteries in it.)

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rebuilt a bored Mag 4C with 4x26500 IMR's and a 100W MR16 bulb. Simple, very bright, :devil: and sets fire to things :devil:

It'd spent the last 2 years in bits in a box...

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I still enjoy the original Arc-AAA and have several that I still find use for. I also have many of the old County Comm Ultra-G AA that are simply bomb proof little lights. I have a few of the original style Arc-LS both original and modded and they are very out performed by todays standards but again still make me smile.

I still have at least 10 of the old Dorcy AAA models and some of us older members spent many nights discussing these little gems. The circuit was easy to remove and even easier to mod and if I remember right they were like 5 dollars new. The Nuwai Q3 was also a favorite for mods and just a good all around light.

Half of my collection is older lights and yes there are some that were very expensive. Many of my older lights cant compete in sheer output with todays offerings but they have much more character I believe.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an olive fenix LD01, dosnt really get used but its my only aaa light, sat on keys for a while but got replaced by an edc ex11. i then thinned my keys out and it got left out.
Sorta the same but different but i see old lights for sale (new) and a while back i would have bought them but never did (£££) now im wondering if i bought one would i use it ? compared to todays higher output models.
case in point - should i buy a RRT2 XPE R2 ?????

01foreman400

Newly Enlightened
EDC Ultimate 60 GT. My daughter sleeps with it every night. Puts in on low to read every night. 4 years old and has to have a flashlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing is a dinosaur compared to today's lights.

Not really, just the Luxeon LED is. I guarantee if you have it upgraded to an XP-G2 neutral, it will run with any current light in that class, and do it with style. But that may be a downgrade for it's intended purpose now, with more danger of hurting little eyes.

Gad, I never stopped using my Dorcy AAA reflector version, have all the colors and modded to several different LED's, even re-modded the one I use most when it ran a JELED down to stock-level brightness with the high overdrive. I have recently started using a Fenix L0P around the house, it is just nice for that, even though it is very inefficient. It eats old NiMH's, so I don't really care. Always grab PR conversion lights, either with the SMJLED boost bulbs or ones I made myself for direct drive on two alkalines. Put 4 NiMH's on charge this morning for my Nichia CS modded PT Attitude. I admit that while I try to keep it ready to go, I don't often grab it. Nice floody beam, though, much like my Inova X5.

My wife just uncovered my mysteriously lost Akoray programmable AA light, last seen the night of July 4, 2011. Still very cool, next to the bed right now. Also found just prior to that was my old Durabeam 2xAA incan. Still working on the alkalines in it, with no leaks (yet). Had that since the late 70's. It replaced my destroyed Mallory 2xAA, totalled by an exploded alkaline. Yes, it can happen.

01foreman400

Newly Enlightened
Not really, just the Luxeon LED is. I guarantee if you have it upgraded to an XP-G2 neutral, it will run with any current light in that class, and do it with style. But that may be a downgrade for it's intended purpose now, with more danger of hurting little eyes.

Is there someone who can do the upgrade for me?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try Vinh.

I didn't want to start a debate because it has been well explained in another thread but I have the same exact opinion as Hondo, this light is still terrific, it just scream for a new emitter.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i still have brinkman long life, one of the first led lights made. has 1 5mm led, runs on 2aa cells, it is pbly 10 years old, still works as it did first day.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

No personal experience, as I roll my own, and there are some good tutorials here for the HDS, it is not hard, especially if you have a real drop-in LED for the Luxeon, like a Seoul P4. But nowadays that is only about half the upgrade of an XP-G2. I think the XP-G's can be had on a small board that will either drop in the LED cavity or need only minor trimming, and sit at a good height to work with the stock reflector.

Anyway, I know by reputation that modders like PhotonFanatic and vinhnguyen54 can handle it, and if milkyspit has time between his full builds he sells, I seem to remember him doing a bunch of HDS LED swaps when it was just for better bins of Luxeons. Try hanging around here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?92-CPF-Custom-Flashlight-Builders-and-Modders

Oh yeah, and viva my Fenix L1 (no, not even L1P, mine's silver). I moded it with a Seoul P4 and a 5 Ohm resistor mod in the switch to make it two levels and a tail twisty for on-off, the clicky toggles the levels. 2 1/2 hours on high, 25 hours on low, still a great all-around light.

Last edited: