Ignorant people -.-

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
So I started talking to this guy about car audio and stuff and he asked if I had a multimeter and I said I had one for my flashlight batteries so I know when to charge them and so they don't explode and stuff and I mentioned CR123's and he is trying to tell me that those are watch batteries and that what I'm talking about are called "123A"'s or just 123's and I'm like nooooooo and he insists and I'm like ok who cares right? and let it go and keep talking and he said he had a 240lm GSX and a battery exploded in it and I told him that's why I buy $50-$70 lights with protection circuits and stuff vs $40 lights and I happened to have my TN31 in my car when he said his biggest light was a mag light and that is was to heavy. So after work I grabbed my TN31 and showed him and he asked how many lumens it was and I proudly but not wanting to sound like an *** said "1000" and he was like "HAHA nooo way 1000lm would burn ur hand in 2 seconds, heck even 700 would burn you" and he drove away and I just stood there blinking like WTF...

Where to people come up with this stuff? As I get older I'm getting more and more angry I argued till I was blue in the face with a guy that corvettes do not and have never come with V6's and have had V8's sense they were made even the base modles, and I go to Best Buy and talk to a gal about TV's and she seemed pretty knowledgeable until she told me UHD and 4K are the same thing (just google it there is about 400 pixels different between standards) and tells me I'm wrong when I disagree with her. I feel like a "no it all" but at the same time it's not hard all this stuff is easily available on the internet, like if someone doesn't know something that is ok I would never call them dumb but where on earth do they get these crazy misconceptions with enough confidence to spread them around and tell me I'm wrong? Been driving me nuts lately.

I'm also even more pissed because due to Plasma TV misconceptions Panasonic is no longer making the best good looking value TV's in TV history... no they don't leak gas, no burn in isn't really an issue, no they don't cost much more money to run maybe like $50 a year, yes they aren't as bright and don't look as bright in stores but try one in your home next to an LCD.

Bet these same people go out and buy 1,000,000cp spotlights at retail stores and think there better than my TN31 (hopefully they at least end up with a fatmaxx), I'm not trying to be better than anyone, just show them something cool and socialize but I guess the only place I can find people on my level is on the internet haha.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had fun reading your rant, and can sympathise.

Ignorance is of course something we are all guilty of. As someone clever once said "The more I know, the more I know I don't know" so am feeling pretty ignorant myself these days.

However much you may or may not know, there is the fundamental ability to have an open mind, and to be prepared to be wrong or stand corrected. Taking the attitude that "I'm right and you are definitely wrong" is very off-putting. I've started to take the approach of just stopping the conversation when this happens, let them have their say, thank them and make your excuses. If they are not prepared to consider a different point of view, or that they have got their facts wrong then I will not try to convince them otherwise.

matt4350

Enlightened
ScaryFatKidGT, if I'm involved in some sort of debate, and the issue is important enough to me, I'll offer to bet my opponent a bottle of liquor that I'm right. It's good to get a free drink sometimes, but I'm also happy that I've been humbled and paid for someone else's drink. Keeps it friendly and competitive :)

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I'm also even more pissed because due to Plasma TV misconceptions Panasonic is no longer making the best good looking value TV's in TV history... no they don't leak gas, no burn in isn't really an issue, no they don't cost much more money to run maybe like $50 a year, yes they aren't as bright and don't look as bright in stores but try one in your home next to an LCD.

Like yourself, I also find it funny that people would question our hobby so vehemently, such as 1000 lumens burning a hole in one's hand, blah blah...you should've asked him about the sun. That is clearly millions of lumens, but we're all still standing around, right?

Regarding plasma TV's, They do suffer from a certain level of burn in. I play quite a bit of video games, so any still pictures will eventually burn into the screen with the ghost images visible from the black screen. This includes HUD health bars, ammo counts, team members, even stuff as stupid or mundane as channel or network branding will set in if left on long enough. In dynamic usage, there won't be much visible burn in. (when the burn in gets REALLY bad, it will be visible even during dynamic images as a slight blurred area. but of course, you will need to log HUNDREDS, maybe even THOUSANDS of hours before this occurs.) -Plasma DOES offer richer colors, albeit not as bright. The settings in store are designed to be complemented by the florescent lighting, so LED's will often look a bit brighter/more appealing than Plasma. I have a plasma.

The most fun I had trying to convince someone of something otherwise was when i worked for Clearwire a few years ago. Somebody came up striking a conversation, and was adamant that Clear's 4g was Sprint's, and that it was LTE. I attempted to correct him, saying that Sprint did indeed have a majority ownership of the shares, but the 4g was not yet LTE, but instead Wiimax. He wouldn't hear it :p Same person had the gall to come back later and tell me that I was wrong for insisting it was LTE, and that he had told me it was Wiimax, and that he should have my job instead. double yoo. tee. eff??

Last edited:

davesc

Newly Enlightened
I work with a bunch of people like that. They know it all and have the ego to prove it. I have mostly kept a lower profile and tried to get along. But since nearing retirement, that method has vanished. I have been setting them straight. Feels good!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I recall a discussion with someone a few years back which started off talking about kerosene heaters. There had been a power outage somewhere, and people as usual used kerosene heaters indoors with predictable results (i.e. fires and/or carbon monoxide poisoning). Anyway, we proceeded to discuss electric heaters, including the small ceramic ones. The person said aren't those a problem also to use indoors because they run on gasoline? At that point I'm like WTF? I start by saying that they have a power cord, so please tell me how they run on gasoline if they have a power cord? They say the electricity is just to power the fan to blow the heat from the burning gasoline into the room and to ignite the gasoline. OK, now I'm starting to sense that this conversation isn't going anywhere but I humor them and ask if the heaters run on gasoline where do you put in gasoline once it runs out? I even show them one of my ceramic heaters, and guess what, there's no place to put gasoline. Now it starts to go from the ridiculous to the sublime. Their answer is the heaters come prefilled with enough gasoline to last the length of time most people will own the heater. At this point I give up. I'm not about to start going into the BTU content of gasoline, or the fact that I've had my heaters running enough hours to produce as much heat as 100 gallons of gasoline could have produced. All I say is if they somehow managed to extract this much heat out of what can be at most a pint of gasoline then the companies that make the ceramic heaters should get into the energy business instead. I think that went over their head.

Another great story is how one of my sister's coworkers insisted that the government uses your TV to spy on you and see what you're doing. This is why she leaves it unplugged when she's not watching it. I think my sister tried for 30 minutes to get her coworker to see how silly this idea was but the woman wouldn't budge.

Yes, the level of ignorance in society never ceases to amaze me. Even worse are those who will continue to invent scenarios to justify their viewpoint even after others have proven them wrong beyond any shadow of a reasonable doubt. Sad to say, a fair number of such people even end up as elected representatives. I think part of the problem is that opinion now trumps knowledge instead of the other way around.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Here is a perfect example in the comments thread following the article. Scroll down to the post by someone using the screenname "Jeff Price" where he mentions a 45% grade on the street being discussed. And read the comments where others try to set him straight but he sticks to his guns. I was ROTFLMAO.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an instance like that at a KMS tool special a few weeks ago.
I asked about an hid flashlight he had on display.
I asked "what's the wattage"
he said " that's not important"
I said "sure it is, I can estimate the lumens"
he said "lumens aren't an accurate measurement"
I replied "yes they are, as long as it's ANSI rated"
he replies "this thing will hit a mile easily"
i said "oh what's the Lux reading?"
his reply I kid you not "lux isn't an accurate measure of throw because it doesn't tell you the beam profile"

flustered, I thought to myself this guy doesn't know his own products and figured I'd end the conversation with ;)
"i own a couple hid lights already, too bad their aren't any specs on the light to know if it's worth buying"

he he looked a little perplexed slouches a bit and repeats "it'll throw a mile easily, I seen it"

i replied "lots of lights do nowadays, have a good day"

and i left.
i don't think I got through to him at all, he only saw a missed sale

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Another great story is how one of my sister's coworkers insisted that the government uses your TV to spy on you and see what you're doing. This is why she leaves it unplugged when she's not watching it. I think my sister tried for 30 minutes to get her coworker to see how silly this idea was but the woman wouldn't budge.

That's kinda funny. The most that a service provider will do is MAYBE check out what shows you watch to gauge the demographic...Given the 'smart' TV's these days though, those actually collect a little more info than i'm comfy with, like how many hours you watch a day, the time of day that you watch them, etc...you never know...maybe someday these TV's will have true AI to read your every move to 'better predict' what the consumer will want to do during the day. Convenience and technological advancement will come at the cost of privacy...

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a whole'lotta stupid in this world, and the reason why instructions are written on shampoo.

160cy9h.jpg

and so on...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I'v seen Peanut Warning Labels on bags of Peanuts

...like I'v said before, nothing really surprises me anymore

Empath

Flashaholic
"Ignorant people -.-" ? ? ? ?

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. No one is more ignorant than another, since everyone is infinitely ignorant.
Ignorance is infinite, while knowledge is finite. One can be more knowledgeable than another, but one cannot be more ignorant than another.

Quantifying ignorance must always be done relatively, with specific data points. It must be done by comparison of knowledge points against "no-knowledge" points (ignorance)

Then, there's "stupidity" and "intelligence", two more interesting, opposing, and nullifying terms. Two more terms, wisdom and foolishness, attempts to quantify the practical use of the other four terms.

Well, after that you may be more knowledgeable, but, we're all still equally ignorant.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
There's a whole'lotta stupid in this world, and the reason why instructions are written on shampoo.
Speaking of shampoo, here's the instructions which were put on a bottle of cat shampoo we purchased some years ago:

1) Put cat in tub or sink.
2) Gently wet cat with warm water.
3) Apply shampoo and lather gently.
4) Wait ten minutes.
5) Rinse and repeat steps 1-4.

Strictly speaking, there's nothing wrong with these instructions given that it's similar to shampoo instructions for humans. The problem is that it's meant for cats. Evidently whomever wrote the instructions never tried them on a live cat. Getting through steps one through three alone are usually problematic. In fact, getting through step one was a non-starter for at least half the cats I tried it on. Most cats hate getting wet (unless the moisture comes from their own tongue). They seem to also have a sixth sense where they can sense a sink or tub is a place where something bad is about to happen. That said, steps four and five are really the ones which had me in stitches. I couldn't imagine any scenario where a wet cat full of shampoo is just going to mellowly hang around in a bath tub or sink for ten minutes. In all likelihood it would bolt and hide somewhere, covering your floors, furnishings, and precious items with water and shampoo in the process. Assuming you somehow managed to get through step four, you're supposed to go through the entire process again? With what is now likely a highly traumatized cat? Maybe a small minority of cats love to be bathed but it is a very small minority. I certainly have yet to see one. At best a few will tolerate it, and by tolerate I mean that you can bath them without ending up in the trauma ward. Really, after step four I would have made step five "Go to the emergency room to have your scratches and lacerations treated."

All too often people who write instructions for products don't bother actually seeing if these instructions work in the real world.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Had fun reading your rant, and can sympathise.

Ignorance is of course something we are all guilty of. As someone clever once said "The more I know, the more I know I don't know" so am feeling pretty ignorant myself these days.

However much you may or may not know, there is the fundamental ability to have an open mind, and to be prepared to be wrong or stand corrected. Taking the attitude that "I'm right and you are definitely wrong" is very off-putting. I've started to take the approach of just stopping the conversation when this happens, let them have their say, thank them and make your excuses. If they are not prepared to consider a different point of view, or that they have got their facts wrong then I will not try to convince them otherwise.
That's the problem, I KNOW I'M RIGHT, you know, I KNOW that my TN31 puts out AT LEAST 900 OTF lumens but I don't want to be a closed minded person but I KNOW! I'm right lol, so I don't know how to act. There's a difference between a debate on a controversial topic and just simply stating a fact like CR123's are called CR123's lol

Well, the C1 came with a straight-six enigine:poke:
Lol ok ok I was ranting, but he was talking like C4/C5 old.

I think you mean "know it all." :devil:
yes yes :thumbsup:

ScaryFatKidGT, if I'm involved in some sort of debate, and the issue is important enough to me, I'll offer to bet my opponent a bottle of liquor that I'm right. It's good to get a free drink sometimes, but I'm also happy that I've been humbled and paid for someone else's drink. Keeps it friendly and competitive :)
With my friend I have done this on quoting stuff like amp specs and cars HP and stuff lol, I just hate when people talk down to me like no no you don't even know what a battery is called and I'm sitting her like duuuuude you know how many batteries I own right now like 50+ CR123's, 15ish li-ion's, 20 eneloops, I know batteries haha.

I had an instance like that at a KMS tool special a few weeks ago.
I asked about an hid flashlight he had on display.
I asked "what's the wattage"
he said " that's not important"
I said "sure it is, I can estimate the lumens"
he said "lumens aren't an accurate measurement"
I replied "yes they are, as long as it's ANSI rated"
he replies "this thing will hit a mile easily"
i said "oh what's the Lux reading?"
his reply I kid you not "lux isn't an accurate measure of throw because it doesn't tell you the beam profile"

flustered, I thought to myself this guy doesn't know his own products and figured I'd end the conversation with ;)
"i own a couple hid lights already, too bad their aren't any specs on the light to know if it's worth buying"

he he looked a little perplexed slouches a bit and repeats "it'll throw a mile easily, I seen it"

i replied "lots of lights do nowadays, have a good day"

and i left.
i don't think I got through to him at all, he only saw a missed sale
Ha yeah retail persons are a whole nother thing, I did mention the person at Bestbuy but I wasn't looking at buying and saw it as a friendly conversation with another person which is what my rant was about, but when you are looking at buying something and they act like that, it's like WTF? Sure the Lux might vary a little at a distance depending on the angle of the beam but I bet he didn't know the beam angle either, he didn't know anything.

Like yourself, I also find it funny that people would question our hobby so vehemently, such as 1000 lumens burning a hole in one's hand, blah blah...you should've asked him about the sun. That is clearly millions of lumens, but we're all still standing around, right?

Regarding plasma TV's, They do suffer from a certain level of burn in. I play quite a bit of video games, so any still pictures will eventually burn into the screen with the ghost images visible from the black screen. This includes HUD health bars, ammo counts, team members, even stuff as stupid or mundane as channel or network branding will set in if left on long enough. In dynamic usage, there won't be much visible burn in. (when the burn in gets REALLY bad, it will be visible even during dynamic images as a slight blurred area. but of course, you will need to log HUNDREDS, maybe even THOUSANDS of hours before this occurs.) -Plasma DOES offer richer colors, albeit not as bright. The settings in store are designed to be complemented by the florescent lighting, so LED's will often look a bit brighter/more appealing than Plasma. I have a plasma.

The most fun I had trying to convince someone of something otherwise was when i worked for Clearwire a few years ago. Somebody came up striking a conversation, and was adamant that Clear's 4g was Sprint's, and that it was LTE. I attempted to correct him, saying that Sprint did indeed have a majority ownership of the shares, but the 4g was not yet LTE, but instead Wiimax. He wouldn't hear it :p Same person had the gall to come back later and tell me that I was wrong for insisting it was LTE, and that he had told me it was Wiimax, and that he should have my job instead. double yoo. tee. eff??
Or 100w light bulb... or 5 200lm lights... or car headlights lol, in his defense he didn't know I'm a flashaholic but I'm just so confused when I state a fact and am told I am wrong and then am "corrected" with something preposterous.

Temporary Image retention yes but if you play 2 different games or watch some TV too burn in isn't an issue, you would need to forget your TV on for like 10 hours on a really bright image. I use to be careful with mine but 6 months later and have realized its not really an issue. The only thing I wouldn't recommend a plasma for is in a sports bar where the channel never changes or for professional presentations where graphs are displayed for hours. Even the commercials on a news channel should be enough change to prevent burn in or permanent IR.

When I was thinking about buying a TV 2 years ago my I had this same thing happen, I figured id talk to my techy uncle about it and he told me plasmas are junk they can't be laid down flat or the gas will leak out and that they don't go to 1080, only 720p and that is why they are being replaced by LCD's and I'm like WHAT? even 42" plasmas can be 1080 and after about 10 minutes of trying to tell him that I gave up but that's my uncle and I know he is like that I will enjoy my TV and let him be like that but I don't like random people thinking I'm dumb especially people at like Bestbuy that will spread the wrong thing around. I'm just amazed where people come up with these off the wall things, a slight disagreement is normal but when they pull this crazy comment that I know is totally false out on me I just stand there and blink with no response.

I work with a bunch of people like that. They know it all and have the ego to prove it. I have mostly kept a lower profile and tried to get along. But since nearing retirement, that method has vanished. I have been setting them straight. Feels good!
I never know where it will pop up, most people seem nice to me usually, there is a couple people like my uncle but like I said its not there personality but where they are getting these claims that boggles my mind.

I recall a discussion with someone a few years back which started off talking about kerosene heaters. There had been a power outage somewhere, and people as usual used kerosene heaters indoors with predictable results (i.e. fires and/or carbon monoxide poisoning). Anyway, we proceeded to discuss electric heaters, including the small ceramic ones. The person said aren't those a problem also to use indoors because they run on gasoline? At that point I'm like WTF? I start by saying that they have a power cord, so please tell me how they run on gasoline if they have a power cord? They say the electricity is just to power the fan to blow the heat from the burning gasoline into the room and to ignite the gasoline. OK, now I'm starting to sense that this conversation isn't going anywhere but I humor them and ask if the heaters run on gasoline where do you put in gasoline once it runs out? I even show them one of my ceramic heaters, and guess what, there's no place to put gasoline. Now it starts to go from the ridiculous to the sublime. Their answer is the heaters come prefilled with enough gasoline to last the length of time most people will own the heater. At this point I give up. I'm not about to start going into the BTU content of gasoline, or the fact that I've had my heaters running enough hours to produce as much heat as 100 gallons of gasoline could have produced. All I say is if they somehow managed to extract this much heat out of what can be at most a pint of gasoline then the companies that make the ceramic heaters should get into the energy business instead. I think that went over their head.

Yes, the level of ignorance in society never ceases to amaze me. Even worse are those who will continue to invent scenarios to justify their viewpoint even after others have proven them wrong beyond any shadow of a reasonable doubt. Sad to say, a fair number of such people even end up as elected representatives. I think part of the problem is that opinion now trumps knowledge instead of the other way around.
These are exactly what I'm talking about LMAO, where to they come up with this stuff? Are they born with a part of there brain that stays isolated from all input and just invents stuff for them to think/say or what? Like who tells them this? I don't get it and it drives me nuts cuz then they thing I'm dumb and its sooo easy, like you show the guy the heater and he still doesn't get it, electricity makes heat duhooooo.

Here is a perfect example in the comments thread following the article. Scroll down to the post by someone using the screenname "Jeff Price" where he mentions a 45% grade on the street being discussed. And read the comments where others try to set him straight but he sticks to his guns. I was ROTFLMAO.
lol yeah, but that is all over the net its in person that I don't know how to handle it.

I just agree with whatever stupid thing they say with smug superiority.
Haha thats what I did with my uncle about TV's but some times I just feel like I can't talk to anyone you know? If I try to talk about Lights, car audio, headphones, different knife steels, cars or TV's with someone knowledgeable so I don't just talk nonsense with them they have these faulse ideas and they just road block me

"Ignorant people -.-" ? ? ? ?

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. No one is more ignorant than another, since everyone is infinitely ignorant.
Ignorance is infinite, while knowledge is finite. One can be more knowledgeable than another, but one cannot be more ignorant than another.

Quantifying ignorance must always be done relatively, with specific data points. It must be done by comparison of knowledge points against "no-knowledge" points (ignorance)

Then, there's "stupidity" and "intelligence", two more interesting, opposing, and nullifying terms. Two more terms, wisdom and foolishness, attempts to quantify the practical use of the other four terms.

Well, after that you may be more knowledgeable, but, we're all still equally ignorant.
:duh2:... It's not really the knowledge or lack of I'm concerned with but the crazy made up stuff that they try and tell me

Last edited: