Fake SolarForce?

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently picked up a couple of SolarForce lights and I am wondering if one is a fake or not (see photo). Specifically the Black one. There are many differences are in the body itself. The knurling is much smoother on the Black one, the bezel shoulder is smaller and it is about 1/16" of an inch longer than the Orange one, the logo area is also larger.

Any thoughts on this?

DSC01959.JPG

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
How do they work with head and tailcap, also, obviously, a drop in? Do parts mate up well? Any gaps, etc?

Bill

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2M (from Solarforce-sales website) doesn't have the word "L2M" under the Solarforce words.
Its on the other side of the tube.
And the space for the wordings is rectangular with round corners.

Where did you buy them? I'm looking into picking up a reverse clicky switch, assuming they work on an old Surefire 6P I have.

So far my Solarforce & Surefire tailcaps are all interchangeable..

- JonK

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do they work with head and tailcap, also, obviously, a drop in? Do parts mate up well? Any gaps, etc?

Bill

I need a longer spring in the tail cap to make the black one work properly. Tailcaps fits well and and works with stock spring on all my other "P" style lights. No Gaps and I thought the lettering was strange looking too. The "M" is in a script style font.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll look when I get home. I just received an order from Solarforce, but I don't recall what the scripting looks like.

I did have to scrounge a spare spring for my Malkoff dropin to fit the Solarforce L2N host.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both Solarforce... I have both kind... it's just that they varied with dimensions on all their hosts over time... I've seen three different L2M versions so far... the oldest one was the black one from your pic... it has shorter thread area on the tailcap so you can't get a good contact with regular Surefire clickies... however, Solarforce S7 twisty switch they had in offer a year ago upgraded with Oveready McClicky switch works great in that combo... kind of slippery in hands due to Type 2 and glossy finish... I actually use OR Zero-Rez Shorty so I can accommodate 1xAA battery in that host installed in S7 twisty tailcap; the body is not bored for 18mm cells but only 16mm ones...

The cerakoted one you have is newer type L2M but past generation, the new ones you get from Solarforce-Sales are somewhat different... but they feel good in hand and lego with many parts very nicely... pre-bored for 18mm cells, very good P60 host...

Oh, yeah... the older one I bought alone, as body itself on start of my flashoholic career, back in 2010... I believe it was SolarForce dealer based in US... but last two gen's of L2M I got directly from SolarforceSales page and as complete L2M host, with bezel and tailcap (many here know them as: Jo !!! lol)... everytime they answer your inquiry they sign as Jo but you can see that answers sometimes come from different persona, lol...

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try to remember to take a group photo of my L2M's and lego's they are part of once I'm back home, in a few days...

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen three different L2M versions so far... the oldest one was the black one from your pic... it has shorter thread area on the tailcap so you can't get a good contact with regular Surefire clickies...

and mine did not accept 18mm cells

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes that it was (has been bush-bored since)

are the one syuo are talking of 18mm capable and short thread ones?