Foursevens Maelstrom Regen MMR-X

carrot

Flashaholic
18650, micro-USB rechargeable, configurable between 5 different interface, and range of 1 to 800 lumens... Sounds just like the USB-rechargeable that I've been clamoring for.

Expected to ship Dec 3. Here's the text they sent out in the email.

Introducing the Maelstrom Regen MMR-X!

Our family just keeps getting bigger! We're excited to introduce to you our newest member - the Maelstrom Regen MMR-X, our first dedicated 18650 2600mah flashlight with an integrated micro-USB charging and configuring port! Using this port, you can easily switch the flashlight between five different user interfaces according to your needs. These interfaces vary from having one maximum-output mode to having all eight distinct modes ready for quick access. In addition, every USB port is a charging source for the MMR-X!

As one of the most compact lithium 18650 lights in the world, the Maelstrom Regen MMR-X is nearly the size of our Quark flashlights at 5.5 inches and weighs in at 5.0oz with the battery. This rugged yet versatile CREE XM-L2 powerhouse will have your back in any situation with its incredible range, from 800 lumens on Burst mode to 1 lumen on Moonlight, and a peak runtime of 35 days.

http://www.foursevens.com/products/MMR-X-AF

E: http://youtu.be/HejpsDmU4Kk

Last edited:

dts71

Newly Enlightened
How's the user interface - reverse clicky and cycle through the different modes?
Are there more brightness levels than 1, 25 and 400 (800)?

carrot

Flashaholic
How's the user interface - reverse clicky and cycle through the different modes?
Are there more brightness levels than 1, 25 and 400 (800)?

Yes, it sounds like there's a 125 lumen in between, which sounds about right. It runs for a whopping eight hours! I keep thinking about how when I started, you were lucky to get 125 lumens for 20 minutes...

I just watched the video and saw that there should be something for everyone: max only, max and low, max and strobe, low thru max, and moon to max and strobe/SOS/beacon.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i was expecting to geek out with the advanced PC configuration software but no it doesn't even need a computer to configure it which is ok i guess.

no clip?

seems to be a good flashlight especially when considering that the only competitor has a very unslightly "hump" around the neck :D

YfmfvVf.jpg

it's a very good thing that they'll be including a tailstandable tailcap

though i wonder why they decided to include a wall wart. nitecore doesn't. (almost) everyone has one of those already...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the earlier teaser thread, I was really hoping you could program output levels like an HDS - unfortunately, the fixed mode spacing will not work for me camping. I'd also be concerned with emergency use - 1) the voltage range is not shown, can CR123s primaries be use? 2) seems you can only program the UI while plugged in so the SOS/Beacon modes might not be available if you didn't pre-plan your emergency.

Edit: I now see the note saying use of any other batts than 1x18650 will damage the light.

Seems like it would make a good low hassle urban daily user though.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched the video and this seems like a pretty cool design. This has a chance of being a good seller for them I would think. I personally do not purchase any foursevens lights anymore. Once they stopped offering neutral tints that was the end of my money to them. However, it is nice to see that they have offered some new designs in the last year that look well thought out. The new ATOM series looks nice to me, too, minus the cool white tint.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
This looks interesting. I'm guessing this will work with other 18650s. Am I right? And it could then double as a USB charger?

Capolini

Banned
Looks like a very diversified torch with a lot of options.

How long does "Burst" mode last? 1 min.? 3 min.? After "Burst" mode is 400 lumens the highest output it can sustain?

This is more diversified than my M22 but most certainly can not sustain max output for as long and unlikely to be able to constantly "step back up" to max like the M22. then again, not everyone likes max output like me! ;)

tialloydragon

Newly Enlightened
I received mine yesterday (I preordered on 11/13/13.) It's going to be my EDC, as soon as I make a carrier for it (I press kydex in my basement.)

According to the jnstructions you can use other 18650's in it but you aren't supposed to charge them in the flashlight.

Burst mode runs for 15 minutes on full charge, IIRC.

Capolini

Banned
I received mine yesterday (I preordered on 11/13/13.) It's going to be my EDC, as soon as I make a carrier for it (I press kydex in my basement.)

According to the jnstructions you can use other 18650's in it but you aren't supposed to charge them in the flashlight.

Burst mode runs for 15 minutes on full charge, IIRC.

That is nice to know that burst mode lasts about 15 minutes. That is better than several other lights that have that feature.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
according to 7777 website the burst mode is 1 minute just like with all the other burst mode lights

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650, micro-USB rechargeable, configurable between 5 different interface, and range of 1 to 800 lumens... Sounds just like the USB-rechargeable that I've been clamoring for.

Expected to ship Dec 3. Here's the text they sent out in the email.

Introducing the Maelstrom Regen MMR-X!

Our family just keeps getting bigger! We're excited to introduce to you our newest member - the Maelstrom Regen MMR-X, our first dedicated 18650 2600mah flashlight with an integrated micro-USB charging and configuring port! Using this port, you can easily switch the flashlight between five different user interfaces according to your needs. These interfaces vary from having one maximum-output mode to having all eight distinct modes ready for quick access. In addition, every USB port is a charging source for the MMR-X!

As one of the most compact lithium 18650 lights in the world, the Maelstrom Regen MMR-X is nearly the size of our Quark flashlights at 5.5 inches and weighs in at 5.0oz with the battery. This rugged yet versatile CREE XM-L2 powerhouse will have your back in any situation with its incredible range, from 800 lumens on Burst mode to 1 lumen on Moonlight, and a peak runtime of 35 days.

http://www.foursevens.com/products/MMR-X-AF

E: http://youtu.be/HejpsDmU4Kk

Beam looks blue in the video...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone confirm if the mode memory of the last output used is retained only if the light is switched of for four seconds? Been wanting this light but if the light needs to be switched off for four seconds to retain the last output used, it makes it impossible to use as a tactical light or even as a signaling light by doing a few short burst.

Last edited:

tialloydragon

Newly Enlightened
Can someone confirm if the mode memory of the last output used is retained only if the light is switched of for four seconds? Been wanting this light but if the light needs to be switched off for four seconds to retain the last output used, it makes it impossible to use as a tactical light or even as a signaling light by doing a few short burst.

My unscientific method of "one Mississippi, two Mississippi, and so on" seem to indicate that it takes about four seconds for the light to remember its last input.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
My unscientific method of "one Mississippi, two Mississippi, and so on" seem to indicate that it takes about four seconds for the light to remember its last input.
That's too bad. I don't understand what is with this four seconds wait when one second should have been sufficient. This light is definitely not for me much as I like the appearance of it.

nicknapp

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine in the mail yesterday. Used it last night, but didn't really have a chance to play with it/see what it can do. So far, however, this seems like a great light. I will say that I really like having mode memory on this light. I have a preon penlight and I hate having mode memory on that. With that light I want to start low and work up to my desired brightness every time. I guess it all comes down to my POU for the two different lights and how I anticipate using this one.

In response to pjandyho, you could put the light into the Max only configuration for use as a tactical light, also, it has signaling modes built in. That solution may not work for you, but then again it may.

I also completely here those who say you would have to pre-plan your emergencies to use the sos/beacon modes. At the same time, if I have the light set up in one of the first three more tactical configurations, I am probably not going to need the sos/beacon modes, even in an emergency, and if I'm out camping or such where I might need them, then I will likely have the light in that mode already anyway (or be carrying a non-rechargeable light). I could see this being different if I was military, but for standard civilian use, I don't see it as an issue.

I'm waiting for some free time in the dark to compare it's brightness agains my Surefire UB3T Invictus... should be interesting.

carrot

Flashaholic
I just got my Regen MMR-X from Illumination Supply this morning. I haven't played with it too much yet but my first impressions of this light are good.

47s build quality and design, as usual, is impeccable. In comparing it to the Gold Standard -- the SureFire 6P, it is a little skinnier and a little longer. Hand feel is great.

I'm not a fan of the crenellated stainless ring. But I've never been a fan of crenellations. For those who like them, this will make you happy. They are similar in size to that of the E2D Ultra but a bit less sharp and so will probably not wreck pants. You can trade your stainless ring for an included aluminum one, a nice touch.

I didn't expect to like mode 5 (moonlight thru turbo, then disco) but it works better than expected. It remembers the last level it was on, and if you cycle it starts from moonlight again.

I wish it had multiple levels, sans disco mode, but since they are all the way at the end it's not a bother. For those that need a simpler operation, mode 1 is max and max only. If you carry more than one light I'd suggest setting it to mode 1 and using it solely for full blast since recharging it is a snap.

There is an additional clicky pill, probably for reverse clicky. It is set up with a forward clicky. It's hard to tell, but I think with the reverse clicky and corresponding boot it can tailstand.

I like this light. It looks good and feels good. Stay classy, 47s.