how to value used lights?

RageSpectate

Newly Enlightened
I want to sell my collection so that I can buy the new sc600. I currently have an xm-l s10, xm-l2 s20 and the newer tn 12. they all have minor blemishes in finish. I want to sell them to people but don't know what a fair price is. Do flashlights generally retain their value? 80%? 70%?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF RageSpectate!

Value is in the eye of the illuminator. I have no idea how to value what you wish to sell. Just wanted to give you a proper CPF greeting.

kelmo

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Value depends on many factors. Try to look up your lights like you want to buy them.
I figure a general value for mass produced lights around half of new. Some lights will bring more money than half and some less.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
CPF Marketplace requires sellers to leave the prices up. You can check to see what others have sold their lights for and price yours accordingly. Prices depend on a wide variety of factors, with some lights retaining their value well and others struggling to sell even at huge discounts.

kj2

Flashaholic
Depends on what kind of light it is, what his condition is, and more. I mostly follow the standard that it looses 25-30% value each year, but the are of course exceptions.
And overall, it depends on what others want to pay ;)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rule of thumb i use, I will pay 2/3 rds of best discounted retail for a blemish free minty model with all the bits,reducing by a considerable amount for a more used version.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can search on ebay or cpfmarketplace to see the going rates for certain lights. There are some brands in which their new/mint and used items have gone up in value. Older Surefire lights/tailcaps and LEEF products cost more now than they did when they were release. Malkoff products retain their value well too, but not as much as before. Malkoff direct drive and M30's/M30w's,/M60W and M60 MC-E/W lines can be obtain for a premium.