L4 Compliment EDC Light

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Brightnorm's challenge got me thinking. My primary EDC light is a L4, and it seems, accoring to this thread that many people also like the L4 for EDC.

Now if a real flashaholic carries two lights for his/her EDC and one of them is a L4, what else should they carry?

I think a good complimentary light should serve one of two purposes. Either be a high powered light meant for throw or a lower light output light meant for runtime.

What do you guys think?
What light do you recommend for that purpose?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
arc aaa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i dont care what you do or don't carry, the arc aaa is so small and handy theres no reason you should ever be found without one.
not to mention it's a kickazz light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The Arc AA is a pocket light while the AAA is a keychain light. Since you're unlikely to go anywhere without your keys, you'll always have the AAA with you. The AA, you're more likely to leave at home. If you want a really small light with long runtime, get a Photon II with yellow LED.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
What SF needs to do is make the L4 with two levels of brightness like the L1 or the A2. Then you would only need one.

I don't see the L4 as being the perfect EDC light until that happens.

j

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Surefire A2, bright regulated incandescent & long runtime on LEDs.
ARC AAA, small EDC with good runtime & excellent for a backup light
Surefire E2E/E2C/P61 = WOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
Arc AAA LE is the complement to the L4 on one end. To me the L4 is the best EDC light I've had so far. Adding a two-stage switch would be icing on the cake.

As I've mentioned in other threads, my shoulder bag has an E2e with KL1 for longer run time and more brighness than the Arc (inbetween the Arc AAA and the L4) and has a KL6 for longer run time and longer throw than the L4 and I'll soon be getting the KT4 turbohead for the L6 for real long reach. That about covers it from Arc AAA to a powerful, long-throw turbohead.

Cheers,

Richard

paulr

Flashaholic
My idea for combining brightness and runtime has been getting a custom 3x123 battery tail made for a Firefly head. Put in a Downboy sandwich at about 250 mA with an R flux emitter and you should have about the output of an LSH-P with over 10 hours of runtime, in a straight sided cylinder smaller than a 2AA minimag.

Low powered alternative: I just bought a UKE 2AAA eLED for $8 on BST (Countycomm sells them for $10+shipping). It hasn't come yet but I'm looking forward to it. 20 hours of runtime on two AAA's, should weigh about the same with batteries as an Arc AA, totally waterproof and it stands on end without fancy construction because the lanyard hole is up at the front where it belongs.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
arc aa isn't "too big", but the aaa is "smaller" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

if you don't mind the extra bulk of the aa, then go ahead and get that!

for gosh sakes man, just make sure you get at least one of them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Sharp

Enlightened
You always need at least one ARC with you. THEN you also need another light. I'd say make it a "throw light", so get an incandescence SF... Better if you go with a 6V model becuase other models are too big (for some people).
I suggest a C2 for its pocket clip or simply an E2e...
An E2e would be a good choice because you can simply put a KL1 on it and get a good 4 hrs. runtime.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be posting my ultimate L4 EDC kit in a few days. It incorporates one of the lights above, sort of.

In general, I think the Arc AAA would be a worthy addition to any EDC package.

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry an Arc AAA.

In addition to the SF L4, I will carry either the Arc LS or (for special needs) the SF E2+. ... that's the one in which Nascar has installed a 120 lumen lamp.

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
PaulW,

For what sort of needs do you use the LS over the L4? Is it the LSL or LSH?

Wilkey