Scratching the lens on a light?

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Okay guys, this may sound silly but I am wondering about something. Does a scratch on the lens affect seeing any artifacts in the beam? With all this money we spend on our toys, is anyone like me and actually careful about scratching the lens on your lights?
I ask because, recently I started buying some new, decently expensive for a flashlight anyway, and I am a bit wary of getting scratches on the glass. I have a fenix e11 that I use for edc that has some decent scratches on the lens, but the light is so small that it doensn't matter really. But with something like a brand new expensive light with a perfect large smooth reflector, am I wrong or silly for not wanting to scratch the beautiful glass? On a light like this wouldn't even a scratch on the lens affect the beam and be able to see artifacts in it?
Again, I am a bit OCD i guess, but I don't want to have to carry my expensive lights tip up in the pocket, or in a sheath all the time so it doesn't get scratched. I mean, even on my little new SC52, i don't want to scratch the lens because the darn thing looks so nice.
So, please tell me. Are the glass lenses that scratch resistant where I shouldn't worry about it?

Am I just crazy OCD? Listen to me, i didn't even scratch my new lights yet and Im already worried. Again, I really ask because I have some other lights that have scratches on the lens, and would like to prevent it if I should. Thanks for answering this "silly" question for a fella.

dave

kj2

Flashaholic
I don't think 'little' scratches will be visible in the beam, but lager could be. I've quite a larger one, on one of my old Maglite's. That one is visible when I turn-on the light.
But, that's a plastic lens. Glass is more scratches resistant than plastic. But still, you want be careful with expensive lights.

chris_786

Newly Enlightened
Worrying too much of imagine unless they are really deep. Just be vigilant.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use many P60 hosts. If a lens is scratched/damaged badly enough, I'll just install a new one.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I have wondered the same thing, though it seems most of the lights we buy say " hardened or tempered" *** lens. BUT, I do make sure any pocket I put my light in doesn't have any change or such in it. If the lenses were supposed to be "Fluted" they would come that way

archimedes

Flashaholic
You could consider getting flashlights with sapphire lenses (or replacing the glass lenses with sapphire).

Sapphire is much more scratch-resistant, but can crack or shatter, of course.

Lots of heavy scratching in a lens may diffuse the beam, or a deep scratch may result in an artifact, but many torches have relatively easily replaced lenses ....

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
If you're really worried or subject your light to a fair bit of abuse, then a film over the glass might go some way to help protect it. For diffusing spot style beams to flood, I use DC-Fix material (designed to add privacy to windows). For clear film, I would assume that smartphone screen protection film cut to shape would do a pretty good job.

Only takes one nick or scratch for me to stop worrying about damaging my new light, once I'm over the first 'injury' then I don't worry so much (I still look after it, but they're tools designed to be used, not admired on a shelf).

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Okay guys, cool. I was hoping that everyone wasn't going to call me a lunatic....
I know, once i get a little scratch, all will be fine with the worrying about keeping it fresh. BUT, that smarphone screen film idea is genius. I may just do that now. Thanks, Im sure i'll be careful and all, but i was really wondering this for a long while now, and why nobody else ever posts about it. So thanks again. On my Srt7, lets say, i know I can always probably find a lens if its damaged. But on my little Sc52w edc light that sees all the pocket time, i am not sure I can even replace it since the bezel and all is press fit. But thats really why I ask...Cheers

dave