The map that shows how 10 mega-companies control everything you buy

Norm

Retired Administrator
The map that shows how 10 mega-companies control everything you buy

10919076226_e4c9a9bfec_o.jpg

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Norm,

Where's Surefire on that image? And what's the blue squiggle responsible for Haagen Daaz etc?

Basically, you're money always ends up going to 'The Man' no matter where you spend it, it's just life in the First World after all.

NTW, I am suprised that Coca Cola seems to have such a small piece of the pie by this diagram.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go down one level in the supply chain and it is even worse. The huge agri-businesses like Cargill and Archer Daniels Midland supply processed food to all these consumer product companies. Processed food like high fructose corn syrup.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go down one level in the supply chain and it is even worse. The huge agri-businesses like Cargill and Archer Daniels Midland supply processed food to all these consumer product companies. Processed food like high fructose corn syrup.

Woah - that's storing up a whole heap of serious culpability right there!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Hi Norm,

Where's Surefire on that image? And what's the blue squiggle responsible for Haagen Daaz etc?

Basically, you're money always ends up going to 'The Man' no matter where you spend it, it's just life in the First World after all.

NTW, I am suprised that Coca Cola seems to have such a small piece of the pie by this diagram.

General Mills.

Am I the only one who doesn't see what all the fuss is about? My reasoning is that there's still a lot of competition between these 'big players', no-one holds a monopoly over the market.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
And those are only American/Global brands. Nestle owns Uncle Toby's now too, which isn't included. I'm sure there are a whole swag more local brands owned by these multinationals.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

It's all junk food & bathroom stuff.

...soon, to all be owned by the _________

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I just went through the entire map in detail (twice) and found only six items that our household purchases. That calculates to 6 / 293 = ~2%.
  • Coke
  • Wrigleys' Extra gum
  • Ivory soap
  • Sun diswashing detergent
  • Purina cat food
  • Comet cleaner

Allmost all of our groceries are wild / locally-produced / organic (& independent producers) and virtually all of our meals are made from scratch.

My point being, there is a very viable alternative to processed foods & mass-marketed consumer products.

What is ironic is that I have a modest long-term investment in Berkshire Hathaway which has done quite well by owning significant amounts of some of the posted brands/companies.

"The silence of the yams" :candle:
Michael Pollan

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
All these conspiracy theories are nonsense. Soon, you'll be talking about how these companies conspire with big-agri conglomerates to control congress, and even help to write laws to legally avoid paying taxes and instead subsidise themselves.

Since they have our best interests in mind, all of this is worrying about rainbows.

obi

davesc

Newly Enlightened
All these conspiracy theories are nonsense. Soon, you'll be talking about how these companies conspire with big-agri conglomerates to control congress, and even help to write laws to legally avoid paying taxes and instead subsidise themselves.

Since they have our best interests in mind, all of this is worrying about rainbows.

obi

Political Comment deleted. - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A&W Root Beer (not the restaurant chain) is owned by Dr. Pepper Snapple Group (NYSE DPS yesterday's close 48.66 is down slightly from the 52 week high of 50.37)

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting that fascinating chart Norm....and for starting this interesting thread.

While we are talking about corporate consolidation and control of consumer goods, let's not forget that the same phenomenon has been going on with the media. Control of the media is vital for control of the consumer. (and some other stuff too.)

0NzBA95.jpg

Also see:
http://i.imgur.com/NcIU0lM.jpg

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Consolidation of the media explains why when you read news about an event you see practically the same article posted word for word on many different news sites.

Latest posts