My XML2 mod to Maglite 3D with etching

tome9999

Newly Enlightened
Here are some photos of my modified Maglite 3D using a 8x7135 driver and HAII heatsink I had laying around. I used a Cree XM-L2 (Neutral T5) from Illumination Supply. I had to cut the MCPCB down from 16mm to about 10mm to fit on the heatsink. I did that with a dremel with grinding wheel. It was a pain to hold it and the LED ended up coming off, it wasn't soldered very well to the board. There was only two tiny spots of solder under the heat sink and one tiny spec on + and - pads, very poorly done. So, I had to re solder the LED to the MCPCB using solder paste and a heat gun. I am powering it with 3 10000mAh NiMh LSD batteries. Etching was done today on a 50W Epilog Laser with rotary attachment.

IMG_7016_2.jpeg
IMG_7036_2.jpeg
IMG_7027_2.jpeg
IMG_7029_2.jpeg
IMG_7010_2.jpeg
IMG_7013_2.jpeg
IMG_7043_2.jpeg
IMG_7031_2.jpeg
IMG_7018_2.jpeg

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
That etching looks great!. And with those cells i'll bet you get a LONG runtime out of a single charge.

tome9999

Newly Enlightened
That etching looks great!. And with those cells i'll bet you get a LONG runtime out of a single charge.

Thanks. Your comment on runtime prompted me to do a simple test of that. I charged up the batteries and turned it on. It ran fully bright (as far as my eye could tell) for 3 hours and 50 minutes at which point I began to notice a diminished output, yet still quite bright. The head which was warm the whole time started to cool down and is just slightly warm. At 5 hours and 5 minutes it is still shining but now significantly less bright - but still too bright to look into it for more than a second or two. The body is cool to the touch, no warmth at all. I would say it as bright now after 5+ hours as the old incandescent version of the light ever was. I am curious at what point it will just shut off but unfortunately it is time to call it a night. I guess I'll have to try it again sometime and start earlier. I can't complain about the runtime though!