My first "real" EDC!!

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
Well since I found this crazy flashlight place you have here.. I finally have an EDC light. I've had a little Streamlight Nano for a year or so, but its not really an EDC.. sure it can help me find a keyhole or a seat in a dark theater but not much more..

So I got an Olight i3S EOS, I know.. its just a starter model, kind of like a Road King is to Harleys :huh: :D, but it will let me know the things I want out of one. This little guy fits my keychain and pocket well, with its multiple levels of brightness (my Surefires don't even have that) does differing things and I'm liking it.. use it more than I thought I would... not sure what I would use the strobe for...well except for annoying the wife

So here's mine, lets see yours.. and what about yours do you really like and use?

Last edited:

Nockm

Newly Enlightened
Not too long ago I finally found an EDC I'm happy with, the V11R, which is also my first flashlight with variable brightness:

VWJEQQs.jpg

Things I like about the...

Variable brightness:

• Able to choose the intensity of the momentary-on light.
  • I set it to low before putting it in my pocket: peace of mind that any accidental activation won't make it overheat/deplete the battery.
  • Easy to give to someone else to use, dial in the power that they'll need and off they go.
  • I just find it easy+fun to use, always.

UI:

• My preferred UI is not only one that I can get used to, it's also one that I can give to a layperson and not even have to describe what to do.
  • Immediately accessible UI has the other advantage of being immediately usable in a panic situation/emergency too. Especially again, when giving it to someone to use.
  • While I'm here about UI - Personally I detest the idea of having a single button do everything: single-click, double-click, slow-click, hold button down, etc... it reminds me of morse code! Although I have many of those lights and enjoy them still; I'm not hating. :)

The rest:
  • It's small (enough for me).
  • Tailstand? Check. I find this really useful. It has made a great night light / temporary candle on many occasions.
  • I use a RCR123 which makes it plenty powerful; dims right down to moonlight (or thereabouts) too.
  • I can use the AA extender in the (unlikely) event I'm out of 123-power.
  • No strobe. I don't mind hidden strobe but it's usually not hidden enough for a layperson to never bump into.

Sorry for writing too much. But I could write more about it too even... but I'm sure those are the main points.

rje58

Enlightened
Thanks for the mini-review of the V11R! Can you comment on the build quality and durability?

Not too long ago I finally found an EDC I'm happy with, the V11R, which is also my first flashlight with variable brightness:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
About UI and lay(wo)men: if there's a button, and you press it, light should come on - at a reasonable output level. IMHO that is the #1, and only requirement for a decent flashlight. Beyond that, a complicated UI is only a problem for people that use the light's other functions.

For example the i3S fullfills that criterium: tighten the head, light goes on. In medium mode (some 20 lumens), which will do for most jobs & has decent runtime. Untighten the head, light goes off. Different output levels (and even a strobe! :duh2: ) are available to people that care to read the manual, but don't get in the way otherwise.

A cheap AA LED light I bought at Lidl supermarket recently, fails that criterium: click it on, mode it wll be in is more or less random. Modes cycle between low -> SOS -> strobe -> high, for example in SOS mode a layman might mistake it for a light that fails to go on (and then does after a split second). How to cycle between modes is easy enough to figure out, but still non-obvious. That and non-hidden SOS/strobe modes makes it a definite fail in the UI department.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have a pic at the moment, but I've been running a 4Sevens Mini123 HCRI for the last 2-3 years.

Things I like about it:
-super compact
-low, med, high interface
-hidden modes (SOS, strobe, beacon)
-super long runtime on low (measured in days)
-very reliable since it is twist operation

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the UI on this little Olight is easy and coming on in the med mode is fine for the application.. usually a good amount of light .. if more or less is needed its easy to get there.

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
Don't have a pic at the moment, but I've been running a 4Sevens Mini123 HCRI for the last 2-3 years.

Things I like about it:
-super compact
-low, med, high interface
-hidden modes (SOS, strobe, beacon)
-super long runtime on low (measured in days)
-very reliable since it is twist operation

That light looks like a very nice one and may be in line at upgrade time, what exactly is "beacon" mode?

ven

Flashaholic
Have a few edcs,on my keys is a k2,reason.......small,simple turn and 1 mode,enough for general use around house or outside around truck.

After clocking the olight i3 i am going to buy a couple of these,for keys as looks a really nice light and brighter too.

In my coats i have these 2
This shows them side by side,around same size too considering cell difference.

Like the v11a because it can run a normal AA or 14500 which gives around 450lm.........so fueled with a nitecore 14500 at present.
Only down side for me is it feels a little cheap(ok it is cheap) to the hand,threads are not best when securing head after battery fitting/removal imo.
Other is my xeno s3a v2...........love this,very nicely made,simple modes and square cut threads.......feels quality.Also very small for an 18650,so get benefits of ease using same cells as many of my other lights,also a good run time as no 1000lm out puts(which i dont need for an edc personally)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
That light looks like a very nice one and may be in line at upgrade time, what exactly is "beacon" mode?

It offers two beacon modes: hi and lo (brightness). It flashes once every 5-10 seconds, can't remember exactly. It would be good to use to mark the position of something you didn't want to lose in the darkness - perhaps if you're hunting and located the animal, but you need to walk back to get your ATV. Or, marking a campsite so you know exactly where you left your gear when you get back from a night hike or walk, etc.

I rarely use SOS/beacon/strobe modes, which is great since they are hidden, yet easily accessible.

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
It offers two beacon modes: hi and lo (brightness). It flashes once every 5-10 seconds, can't remember exactly. It would be good to use to mark the position of something you didn't want to lose in the darkness - perhaps if you're hunting and located the animal, but you need to walk back to get your ATV. Or, marking a campsite so you know exactly where you left your gear when you get back from a night hike or walk, etc.

I rarely use SOS/beacon/strobe modes, which is great since they are hidden, yet easily accessible.

Actually that's pretty cool.. not sure how often I would use something like that but your examples of how to use it make sense..

rje58

Enlightened
Re: Keychain EDC

My current EDC is an Olight i3s too, just got it. I rotate my EDC depending on what my plans are: sometimes a stock Surefire e2e, or a SF G2, a Solarforce L2, sometimes a little CR2 light with a Surefire e1 head and tailcap and a custom body tube. Sometimes something else. Always keep an extra light or two in my car as well, and a little plastic keychain light on my keyring. I don't like to attach anything larger to my keys - the i3s for example goes in my pocket or on a lanyard.

scarfinger68

Newly Enlightened

Quark Pro QP2L-X with Burst mode

It is very light. I can work and not even know it is on me. Moonlight mode and tailstands :) Big light with 780 lumen burst. 3 hour run time at 300 lumens.

Nockm

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the mini-review of the V11R! Can you comment on the build quality and durability?

I've had the V11R for about 6 months now. I'm no expert but build quality and durability seems spot on for me. Although you can never tell if/when a torch will fail, it just seems solid.

harrycolez

Newly Enlightened

Ive had a v11r for a year and its held up great. Even with a cr123 and 200 lumens it is still more power than I need for edc. I love it