Halogen Floor Lamps

NightShift

Enlightened
Im sure you guys are familiar with the halogen floor lamps that use the 300W bulbs and put out a lot of heat. Would it really be that dangerous to pop in a 500W bulb against its 300W max rating? Probably a stupid question, but just was wondering if at all how dangerous it would be.

Brock

Flashaholic
I am not saying you should do it but the lamps are the same size. The biggest problem is the heat, a 500w will give off 1.6 times as much heat, so it could melt the fixture or start a fire much easier. I have done it in wall sconces that are mounted to a cement wall and the fixture is sandstone. So I don't have to worry about the light tipping over or catching the wall on fire, and they are at 8 feet so nothing much can get in there.

Brock

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Brock - I can tell you from personal experience that the 500w halogens can really roast a large bug, and boy, do they stink when they roast!
smile.gif
So, while it's true that "nothing much" can get into a fixture 8' off the floor, don't discount a moth!

NightShift

Enlightened
oh my god, i hate when a bug falls in...i have to evacuate the room because i cant stand the smell! Then i have to go back in (holding my nose) and turn up the fan and light insence.
These lamps do a great job as a heater...i usually use the a/c year round. I usually keep it dimmed though...not at the maximum brightness.

Springnr - cool..what are those new lamps flourescent? Weird how they put out more light...i would definately convert if they are any good...let me know.

StuU

Enlightened
In Massachussetts, the halogen floor lamps have been totally banned because of danger of fires. The stores of purchase are offering replacement lamps with 3way circular flourescents in free exchange. We have one of the new ones and they work pretty well.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NightShift:
Im sure you guys are familiar with the halogen floor lamps that use the 300W bulbs and put out a lot of heat. Would it really be that dangerous to pop in a 500W bulb against its 300W max rating<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In those cheap (under $20) floor torchieres, it is NOT a good idea to swap out the 300W bulb with a 500W.

The bulb contacts in the luminaire will almost always overheat, often hot enough to melt any solder that holds the wires onto them, causing the wire(s) to fall away and arc against part of the fixture & start a fire and/or create an electrocution hazard.

The contacts themselves may also not be rated to handle 500W, and they'll begin to corrode & discolor very quickly, and eventually develop intermittents, hot spots, and begin to spray your ceiling, walls, and carpet with blue & yellow sparks.

Another hidden hazard is that the switch & diode inside the fixture's shaft is probably not rated for a 500W lamp, and will also overheat, fail, or arc after some indeterminable period of usage with the bigger lamp.

So the short of it is: Yes, the 500W bulb will work - at least for awhile. But the risk of fire is greatly increased, especially in the less expensive "Home Depot" type floor torchieres that are often sold for ten or fifteen bucks. The chance of electric shock or electrocution is also greater because the wires can melt off the contacts.

Use the 500W bulb only in fixtures that were designed for a 500W bulb.

$0.02

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
after several fatal fires in this area due to these lamps they were easily obtained from the curb.i put in a thinlite ballast type ib153 and a 32w circline tube.now operates on12v and is safe
smile.gif

BobSnow

Newly Enlightened
I had a near fire with a 500watt torchier about 15 years ago. The lights were expensive and high quality, but very early models with no protective shield for the bulb. I was sitting on the coush, reading and the bulb just exploded. One peice of the quartz envelope fell on a newspaper and set it on fire. Another landed on my arm and caused a small burn. Very good thing that I was there.

springnr

Enlightened
Springnr - cool..what are those new lamps flourescent? Weird how they put out more light...i would definately convert if they are any good...let me know.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NightShift, the GE Tuscany Dimmable Torchiere and General Electric Profile Torchiere arrived last week - I like them. They take a minute or so to warm up but the light output is good once they do. I ordered two types too see which we liked better - the Tuscany in antique brass won so we ordered some more. The lights cost about the same but the fit and finish, how it stands, the glass bowl, and dimmer placement/operation were better on the Tuscany. These really run cool - you can put your hand on the bowl and it is cool! Don't try that with your Halogen.

Silicon Valley Power never acknowledged my online order but it only took about 10 days for the Torchieres to show up. Shipping was $9.95 for two lights an some odds and ends plus they threw in the "Guide to Home Energy Savings" ($7.95) book for free.