Identify this SureFire please?

ryansoh3

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF,

My friend wanted to know the model of this SureFire light:

surefire.jpg

He says that it's rechargeable and uses an incan bulb. Could it be the Z3?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Oh, and how much would it be worth? Thanks!

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z3 was a later version of the CombatLight body. It featured a hexagonal collar around the bezel and had the model laser engraved on the side.

The light shown is either a 9Z (the predecessor of the Z3 which uses 3x123A primary batteries) or a 7Z (which uses a B65 nickel cadmium rechargeable battery). There should be markings on the tailcap to indicate which model it is. If it's rechargeable, then it's got to be the 7Z

If not sure, you can always measure it. The 9Z measures around 6.3 inches long (160 mm) while the 7Z is a little longer at 6.9 inches (175 mm).

Last edited:

ryansoh3

Newly Enlightened
Sweet, thanks for the detailed response.

Do you think these are highly valued, even after heavy use?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are in good condition they bring pretty good prices. With a lot of wear, not so much. Generally speaking the Z3 seems to be commanding higher prices at the time. For pricing info I would suggest checking out the Market Place or one of the big online auction sites.

The 7Z is a little bit handicapped in the pricing department since it uses an oddball battery size. However, Kestrel did a sweet job of modifying on as shown in this thread.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
What he said.... :D

It's nifty light. I really like the styling and feel of it.

As pictured, it won't command a hefty price however

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hefty being subjective, mind you.

But odds are, you'll still find at least one or two potentially interested buyers if all it's doing is collecting dust on your shelf.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If they are in good condition they bring pretty good prices. With a lot of wear, not so much. Generally speaking the Z3 seems to be commanding higher prices at the time. For pricing info I would suggest checking out the Market Place or one of the big online auction sites.

The 7Z is a little bit handicapped in the pricing department since it uses an oddball battery size. However, Kestrel did a sweet job of modifying on as shown in this thread.

Yes that does look to be a well-used 7Z, they aren't as useful as some of the other more popular SureFire configurations these days but would definitely have value (as a 'user') in specific applications such as what I did with mine.

Please note that if this light was to be sold on CPF, a sale thread needs to be posted in CPF/MP.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

pulsar

Newly Enlightened
It is actually a light that I am looking to buy. Not sure yet if I will keep it, sell it or part it out.
Thanks for all the helpful information guys! I am actually a pretty active member at CPFMP, just never got around to establish this account yet

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also use the 7Z with CR123's. This is the setup I currently have.
Insert 3 CR123's into the 7Z. Measure the remaining space. Cut down a dummy aluminum 123 spacer to fit the remaining space.. Keep the nipple/positive end and cut off the remainder. Optional: I used shrink wrap on the cut end to clean it up a bit. If you use shrink wrap, make sure you leave enough bare aluminum exposed to make contact with the tailcap spring.

Now you can run the Surefire 9 volt incan light (P90) or use any of the LED drop ins of your choice.