Orbita Flashlights Revisited

enzo thecat

Newly Enlightened
Let me first begin by saying I am not an avid flashlight collector. However, the LED flashlights have intrigued me since their introduction. My first LED was a Surefire. I researched (even on CPF) a little and decided to go with Surefire because I learned they were one of the few companies that didn't inflate their Lumen "values". They had a reputation that was pretty solid as far as I could tell.

I've periodically added flashlights while upgrading to better Surefire lights and now own 3; the best performer being my LX2 which is advertised to operate at 200 lumens. I have also acquired other LEDs from suggestions of friends, but the Surefires have always been the best of my collection.

I also bought a 5000 lumen Frontgate (Waiven) LED.

I may not consider myself a flashlight collector, but I am a watch collector. As so, I own an Orbita watch winder. I recently found out they sell LED flashlights. And I decided I wanted to try a couple out. I settled for one Lighthouse lamp and one Goldlight lamp.

While waiting on my new lights to arrive, my excitement and curiosity drove me to google the lamps that were on the way. This lead me back to candlepower forums.

I have found that Orbita has quite an…infamous history here. Reading the opinions and banter was completely disheartening. I was expecting junk; "Chinese junk" to be exact because that what the accusations were here.

My lights arrived today. And wow. The quality is amazing. The finish and craftsmanship are masterful. The lights, especially the Goldlight, has a hyper quality feel to it. There is no denying it is very special.

In my novice opinion, the performance is incredible, unbelievable in fact.. Both are not only much brighter than the Surefires, but the light is dispersed much, much better. They throw an incredibly bright, even field of view. Compared to the Surefire there is almost no "hotspot". If my Surefire is indeed 200 Lumes, the Orbitas are surely what they claim to be (300 & 500 Lumens).

The one thing my Surfire LX2 does better than the Orbitas is concentrating a beam at a great distance.

And considering what I paid for the Surefires, the Orbitas are a BARGAIN.

I realize the members here know a LOT more about LED technology and quality. But for a guy like me, these Orbitas are not only a piece de resistance, but a masterful performer.

So why should my opinion matter at all? Well, because I am extremely happy with my purchase. The Orbitas are a combination that I like and there are a lot of others out there like me.

The "debates" I've seen here are akin to what we se in the watch collecting world. Some manufactures go through painstaking trouble to produce their own exotic movements (engines) within the watches. Others use generic movements or a combination thereof and their watches sometimes command the same or more money.

Somehow the appreciation for a unique movement is lost on so many. But there is no less market for those timepieces.

I took pictures to post here, but am not allowed to upload them as this is my first post. I think I once had an account here, but maybe it was disabled because I haven't logged on in so long. Nice changes to the forum btw!

e

Norm

Retired Administrator
enzo thecat said:
I took pictures to post here, but am not allowed to upload them as this is my first post. I think I once had an account here, but maybe it was disabled because I haven't logged on in so long. Nice changes to the forum btw!

There is no reason not to post pics, there is no restriction for new members. - Norm

enzo thecat

Newly Enlightened
Hmpf.... Ok I'll search the forum. There is probably a sticky on how to do it. I swear I thought I found how to do it then got the big yell message about having less than 3 posts, blah, blah.

I'll get it figured out...

Last edited:

enzo thecat

Newly Enlightened

Thank you, Sir!

B8E3279C-11C2-4135-A6D5-14A369744867.jpg

0DE80D0B-A871-4103-9E05-FD7C169EB698.jpg

82C9F607-2E72-4DAD-90ED-DFC6777F6E3A.jpg

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are impressed with the performance of the Orbitas then that's great. But they are just generic (and relatively cheap) lights encased in a fancy body with a big mark up. So you could have been just as impressed with something that cost you a lot less.

In fact the lighthouse is basically the exact same light as the Ultrafire XG-V3/Uniquefire UF-F8, which can be had for under $50.

I'm not saying they're crap lights full stop, just that they are massively overpriced for what they are. Just because a light is cheap doesn't make it bad. In fact many sub $20 lights perform just as well as high end ones in most respects.

In reality quite a few of the more expensive custom lights use many of the same components internally as the good $20-30 lights. The performance can be therefore pretty much the same, it's the craftmanship, body material and sense of exclusivity that comes with the name that allow for the mark-up.

enzo thecat

Newly Enlightened
Just because a light is cheap doesn't make it bad. In fact many sub $20 lights perform just as well as high end ones in most respects.

In reality quite a few of the more expensive custom lights use many of the same components internally as the good $20-30 lights. The performance can be therefore pretty much the same, it's the craftmanship, body material and sense of exclusivity that comes with the name that allow for the mark-up.

Very well said sir.