Is there much difference between an M3 and the M3T

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I was just wondering if the throw of the M3T is much better the the M3 with both lights using the LOLA? Also how does the throw of the M3T using the HOLA stack up against the M6 using the LOLA?

Thanks

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is there much difference between an M3 and the

I think it depends in the particular heads. I used to have both, and there was not too much of a difference in mine.

I was using the HOLAs and found that the difference in diameter of the hotspot was marginal. When I took light meter readings, I had an increase in throw of 36.5% (6550 lux for the M3 and 8940 for the M3T). Using the ceiling bounce test, which more closely is a relative measure of total light output (lumens), the M3T was 3.5% dimmer. Putting it all together, if the bulbs for each head had had the same brightness, the M3T head would have shown an increase at the hotspot of 41.6%.

I suspect that my M3T head was not focussed perfectly. I bought it second-hand at a very good price. My guess is that a new M3T would throw better.

Paul

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

If you do a search on SRTH I think you will find that the N2 lamp in the M3T or the SRTH is preferred for throw and beam quality. I have both the M3 & M3T, but the M3T suits my uses best.

Size15's

Flashaholic

TurboHeads are best used to illuminate things outside [which indicates at ranges greater than 5 metres at the very least].

It does appear that PaulW's experience of the M3T is not characteristic. Certainly not what I experience.

Al