My L4 is not as bright as my 6P

zorba

Enlightened
Just got an L4. It says on the Surefire site that it has the same lumen output as a 6P, of 65 lumens. Although it is quite bright, I have to say that it is less bright than my 6P. Did I get a dud? Is it normal?
any help will be appriciated

Lexus

Enlightened
Both lights have the same lumen rating, that's correct. Lumen is the total amount a light source produces. But the distribution of the light is very different. The lux rating (lux is the brightest part of a beam) of the 6p is higher, because the 6p puts it's light more in a spot and throws farther, the L4 has more a flood beam and a much brighter side spill. If you do the bounce off ceiling test, both lights should light up the room equally well.
There are others who are much better in explaining than me.
Come on guys, share your wisdom with us...

machulu

Newly Enlightened
You pretty much covered it Lexus. Indoors, I find that the L4 actually seems brighter and definately lights up an area better than a P60 Lamp. The white color temp also helps seeing indoors and brings out details. As mentioned before, The L4 has much less throw than a 6P so using it outdoors won't be nearly as effective. It really depends on the environment you happen to be in when you compare the two lights.

~Stephen