Yinding YD 2xU2 headlight/bicycle light

mojo jojo

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, this is my first review on this forum, so hope I hit the right subforum. (if not right, please redirect me)
This is for Yinding chinese budget lamp that goes beyond that. It is primarily a bicycle light, but can be used as headlamp as it weights almost nothing.

I own this bicycle light for a few weeks now and in this time I made some tests and comparison to other chinese budget bike lights.
The Yinding bike light set is packed in a nice »gift box«. You get a main light unit, 8.4V battery pack, 2 mounting O-rings, US plug charger and a headband holder.
First thing you notice is the weight of the main light unit. It is extremely light and small. It weights 63 grams with plastic mount and rubber O-ring. Dimensions are 23x44x34mm.
It uses two high power USA Cree XML U2 bin LEDs and TIR plastic lenses instead of reflectors and that is a big step forward for chinese lights.

img8084.jpg

It has a clasic plastic holder for handlebar, but uses a soft rubber pad instead of cheap foamy pads that you get with many other budget lights. This rubber pad makes better conection to a handlebar or headband so it doesnt rotate too freely. The power cable comes out at the side and doesnt interfear with plastic mount. The body mounting area is also flat and has one threaded hole. That is very nice feature because you can make your own custom mount very easily. The power cable has clasic »Magicshine« standard waterproof connector. That is very handy if you want to mix it with other Magicshine alike lights and batteries. Mounting rubber o-rings are very poor and can tear easily. You should buy silicone ones that cost around $2.

img8121.jpg

img8028.jpg

img8118.jpg

img8120.jpg

And now the real deal. This light is extremely well designed and manufactured. The quality can match Magicshine and even some other branded lights. There are seals all over the place, even the plastic mount has two of them. This light has no problems with water, even submerged. The leds are soldered (and connected in series) to aluminum backplate and screwed in on the backwall. Thermal paste had been used. In the middle of the aluminum body is a solid wall that takes the heat from hot LEDs and transfer it to the body surface and in to the air. That is the most eficient pasive way to cool down all the heat generated by the LEDs. That is very important and lots of cheap chinese lights are very poorly designed in that matter. The soldering is also very good, no bad connections, no fear for short circuits. The driver is not the most advanced, but it does the job and have no issues.

img8023.jpg

img8119.jpg

img8019.jpg

img8021.jpg

The light has 3 modes: off/low/mid/high/off.. and hidden fast strobe mode...press and hold for 3 sec. Unfortunately has no memory mode. This is not the best sequence but at least the strobe mode is separate unlike most of cheap chinese lights that you have to cycle thru the strobe/SOS mode. I would rather see low/mid/high/low... and press and hold for ON/OFF with memory mode.
Power consumption in high mode is around 13.3W and the current draw on the battery (@ at 8.1V) is... LOW-0.42A / MID-0.82A / HIGH-1.65A All three brightness modes are evenly progresive and very usable. Illumination output is around 1050 REAL Lummens. Battery light indicates green for full battery (8.4V-6.4V), red for low battery (6.4V- 5.8V) and blinking red for lower than 5.8V. Driver will go out of regulation around 6.3V on the input voltage and the light will start to dim and the brighness will quickly drop. This is acctualy a good feature, while you prolong your runtime and safely end your ride or change the battery and not end up in complete darkness as you would with complete cut off.
While this is high power light and it is so small, there is some drawbacks. It is too small in mass to handle all the heat at high mode, so be careful and not using high mode when not moving and getting that cooling air flow. Although it has an over heat protection that cuts off at around 70°C.
This light uses TIR lenses, though has very smooth beam pattern. No hard brightness transitions and donuts that you get with smooth reflectors. It gives a very wide floody spot beam with gradual fade at the edges. The main brightness is concentrated at +-15° and spreads nicely to +-90° left-to-right. Beam pattern is very nice to your eyes for off road use and less tiring than those high contrast hot spot reflector type beams. It is more suitable for helmet use, but also very good for handlebar use.

Here are two trail beam shots of the Yinding in high mode:
yinding-2xmlu2.jpg

yd-2xu2.jpg

This is it for now. If someone interested I can give beamshots of many more these chinese budget bycicle lights

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great! Any way to show us more about the beam profile, i.e. throw vs. flood?

Also: do you have any heads around that you could use for mounting it as a headlamp? E.g. your own, or a dummy, or a hard-hat?
I would be interested to see how it works in that mode. I do have more concerns about cooling when it is not on the front of a moving bicycle.

2 XM-L2s: I'm figuring it should be rated around 1500 lumens on high?

All looks interesting, and thanks for a good review.

mojo jojo

Newly Enlightened
Cant tell better than the pictures. It is not a thrower, nor flood. you could say it is very wide floody spot beam with nice side spil and nice transition (best beam pattern I have ever seen for such a light)

You get a headband also, but I gave it away as I dont need it. It looks like this...or you can allways improvise.

http://shrani.si/f/3c/13l/tvQ2xZO/89005457-12.jpg

*sorry, picture taken from ebay
Image tags removed from hot linked image - Norm

But the battery is kind of heavy and you should have it in your backpack, although you need to buy extension cable.
As far as a heat managment goes. You dont need full high mode continuously when moving slow or standing still. Low mode is more than enough.
This one does not yet have new XML2 leds (some new upgraded ones have them), but old XML U2 bin and that is enough for 1000-1100lummen
(if you count all loses on driver, optics...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoked

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Unfortunately I killed the driver of my Yinding by connecting a self-made Lipo with wrong polarity :fail:
Can anybody give me a hint where I can find drivers with appropriate dimensions to replace the broken one?

Thanks in advance,

Stoked

mojo jojo

Newly Enlightened
Hey,
sorry for late answer, but I think you cant get a suitable driver for this light. The only thing you can do is try to repair the driver. If you are lucky it might be just the sense resistor, and that can be changed fairly easy.

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
How is the light holding up so far, mojo? Do you still use it on your bike?

mojo jojo

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for late response...

I still use my first original Yinding and it still performs well.

But the problem is the chineese cloned this light for a several times, so it became a crapy cheap light. Original Yinding (BTW it was superb clone of Gemini duo) was available for a few months last year,
and then updated cloned yinding that was also good light was available till beginning of this year. But later, this year they were all cloned by different manufacturers and
that was the end of this great little chinese clone.

mojo jojo

Newly Enlightened
Hey,
if you re still interested...
At mtbr bicycle forum we found an original Yinding manufacturer and you can get that exact light only at Gearbest vendor. You can now choose cool white or neutral white,
headlamp only or a set with batteries.

here is mtbr link
http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/original-real-yinding-yd-2xu2-found-941540.html
and here are the original lights (with some small upgrades...new xml2, nicer driver)
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_133572.html
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_133573.html
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_124468.html
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_126086.html
some of them are already sold out, but backordered, so I asume they will be availabe very soon.

kikoy

Newly Enlightened
sir mojo jojo, is there a way later on that we can upgrade the led's on this light? i can see they are directly soldered to a backplate. dont they have a pcb attached to?

Thank you in advance!

kikoy

Newly Enlightened
Can i use 2 seperate emitters and wire them in series. Stick them on the backplate. Could this be possible?

tigris99

Newly Enlightened
You can also change them on the back plate just like you would a normal star. OR do as I and others did, new emitters already on 16mm noctigons, fit perfectly! Ill get a pick with front plate off for you guys tomorrow.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
great review.

is the led mcpcb sits on a "shelf" that is a part of the housing? or basically hangs in the air with nothing behind it?

tigris99

Newly Enlightened
Its a solid wall in the housing. holes on the sides for the mounting screws, one in the center for wires to pass through to the driver. total heat transfer directly to the case.

heres a test ride (trails have been closed due to rain every couple of days, so was stuck on paved path) i did using yinding on helmet and the good solarstorm X3 on the bars.

Last edited: