6c maglite LED bulb question

Pipswich

Newly Enlightened

I have a 6c maglite that I want to update. The ROP seems exciting, but I really just need some dependable light and prefer it brighter than a stock type bulb. There are Cree xpe led bulbs for 4-6c maglite on Ebay... and it looks like I could use them with either alkaline or NiMh. Has anyone used these... as they claim 180 lumens? My son is fascinated with a little Mag xl100 that we picked up at the flea and it is less than half as powerful... if the 180 is accurate. Anyone know if this is a viable upgrade (ie does the bulb work) and does anyone have more exciting suggestions and/or estimated runtimes?

Still loving the forum and now considering a Maha C808M charger. I have been unable to determine if there is an equally good charger that can handle both Nimh and Li on!

Thanks!

Pipswich

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would not bother with led bulbs. they drop output fast due to none exsistant heat desapation. and overheat

get 6 cell bulb, magnum star 1 or 2. they are about 200+lm.

or get malkoff xpg drop in (300lm) and also get a sleeve, since your mag is most likely old type witrh no c in front of serial number. if it has C than don't get sleeve.

Last edited:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff dropin is so much better than anything I can think of.
Everything about it. Easy to fit and swap to other light.
XPG dropin is $39. I reckon heatsink is worth $30 on it's own. It is 2 part, with a small angled piece that tightens with a screw to secure in Mag tube.
Provides good contact for heat transfer, allows some height adjustment of dropin for using different reflectors.
The chance of this dropin outlasting anything else you buy is extremely high.
It will maintain high output continuously with no risk of anything overheating.
Good beam with stock mag reflector. I use with FM deep or 2.5 Throwmaster reflectors and turns it into awesome thrower (with very low power)
With 6 NiMh cells it will draw about 0.5 Amp so long runtime.

I have both XPG and XML Malkoff dropins. Both excellent. Big price difference between 2 dropins, while I think XML is good value, XPG dropin is excellent value.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both XPG and XML Malkoff dropins. Both excellent. Big price difference between 2 dropins, while I think XML is good value, XPG dropin is excellent value.

Unfortunately, the XM-L2 drop-in won't work with a 6C. Unless you use dummy cells, that is. In any case, the XP-G2 will still give you more light than pretty much any other simple drop-in out there. And it's not too expensive. Another option would be the Fusion 36. This gives you a nice, floody light. And it's not too expensive. But it's not the most reliable thing in the world.

Pipswich

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the advice. I bought a UV bulb to use in a three cell D. The bulb actually touches that lens, but it seems to work ok. Other than the fact that the strip on a $100 bill doesn't flouresce well /sigh..... it does everything else I wanted it to do! Will save up for a Malkoff or see if I can barter for one!

Latest posts