LS4 vs LSHF-P...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba

Enlightened
I was just wondering how you guys think the throw would compare between the upcoming LS4 and the LSHF-P. I realise that we might not have enough information at this point and that they are based on two totally different concepts but I'm still pretty curious. Any idea?

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Re: LS4 vs LSH-P...

I think Peter has stated that the LS4 will have a beam pattern similar to the LSH. It will, though, be brighter when in high and overdrive modes. The current LSH is driven at 330 mA. The LS4 will cruise at 330, go to high at 500, and overdrive at 700.

MichiganMan

Enlightened

I think he's talking about the throw of the LS4's new reflector vs. throw of the LSH with Fraen optic, not the brightness per se. I'm kind of curious about this myself.

nexro

Enlightened

what's the recommended current to drive the LS at?
overdriving at 700mA will produce lots of heat, how will this affect the LED's life?

Dave Wright

Enlightened

Lumileds recommends 350 mA. You can go higher with good heat sinking. The LS4 700 mA setting is boost only - 20 seconds max before dropping back to your normal setting. Not enough time for the emitter to get critically hot. It might be worth noting that dat2zip's MM+ feeds 600 mA to its Luxeon without apparent ill effect. Don't know about the long term though. My MM+ is by far my brightest Luxeon light. Similar peak brightness to my LSHF-P but with tons of spill light too.

The 500 mA high setting is constant; I'm sure the LS4 emitter will have a good heat sink. I think the LS already does.

scuba

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MichiganMan said:
I think he's talking about the throw of the LS4's new reflector vs. throw of the LSH with Fraen optic

That's what I meant...sorry for not being clear the first time

Miciobigio

Enlightened

I think that the ARC-LS4 will have a reflector similar or better than the SF-L4 so i think that it will have a smaller but brighter hot spot than the LSHP+Fraen , and will have a good side spill too !
And with the multilevel-output it will be the killer-flashlight of 2004 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

700mA? That's underdriven by Mr. Bulk's standards! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.