You can see my page being written.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two pages visable, the rest are hidden for now.
As you can see that this will not be pretty but functional when I open. I will work on making it nicer and nicer as time goes on. I thought there were more important things than appearance for opening day.

jsburlys.com

Tomas

Banned
Looking good (except for the background color - looks like one of Craig's "white" LED's he had awhile back ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ).

I also like the 'spoken English' presentation. One gets the feeling we're just having a friendly talk in the back yard.

There are some other commercial sites that have maintained that very friendly feel even while growing quite large - Small Dog Electronics is a good example (my personal favorite on-line computer dealer). In fact they still have their webcams so one can watch their dogs ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I look forward to the growth of your site, Jon. Good luck!

T_sig6.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
You site is looking very good already. Thanks for sharing it as you build it. I wish you the best of fortune with it.

Paul

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do know I need to work on my grammer and spelling on the site...but I first want to get useful information out followed by making it look good. I know the color is awful, I am going to try and improve the appearance later. The hidden pages are the functioning ones with the shopping cart and such. Those will not be revealed until I am ready.

Thanks.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
looks very good!

that page has told me more about pila products than anythign else i've looked at!

very nice layout too, nice job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any suggestions for background wallpaper for this site? Something that will make it look a little more professional? And maybe a little on the conservative side.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the background and wallpaper question, now I want suggestions on Font colors. Particularly the link colors in both state.

paulr

Flashaholic
I suggest not messing with the link colors. People tend to set up their browsers with the colors they want.

Do you know the book Philip and Alex's Guide to Web Publishing? If not, I highly recommend it. The paper edition is worth buying even though the entire content is free on the web:

http://philip.greenspun.com/panda/

Note that the whole thing is a bit idiosyncratic and pretty seriously out of date, but if you read it you will have a pretty thorough understanding of how dynamic web sites work.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
well browsers do not know in advanced what color the page is going to be. and the default colors were really hard to see. I have changed them and they are a little easier to see now.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's looking better and better everytime I check it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon,

On colors and wall paper: I agree that's not important for now. It's just schmaltz you can play with later, although I would suggest no wallpaper. Many times its use makes text hard to read.

Paul

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A couple of HTML suggestions:

Always avoid platform-specific coding. Avoid Frontpage like the plague! Stay standards-compliant and you`ll be just fine.

If you`re using a white background or black text anywhere, don`t rely on the fact that the user`s browser has white backgrounds and black text as the default page colours because some users like their own custom colours and themes. Therefore always specify bgcolor="FFFFFF" for a white page and font color="000000" for black text. Turns out beige and brown here otherwise, and who knows what elsewhere?

Also, specify a typeface, not just the size. Some of us customise our browser settings according to personal taste, requirements, etc. And if not, the default is usually something grim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif .
Sans-serifs are generally easier to read, I find (for body text at least), and it`s good to have a few in the tags including a generic one to ensure cross platform compatibility. Normally only fonts installed on the reader`s machine will show up so avoid the exotic ones. Eg, font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif" .

wink.gif