LED MagCharger and cradle-charge Mag-Tac!

StudFreeman

Enlightened
I was browsing Robin24k's site (Led-Resource) and noticed a comment mentioning upcoming rechargeable versions of the Mag-Tac and MagCharger. After a few years of dead-end leads (ML150 comes to mind) and not-quite-there-yets (ML125), it appears that an LED MagCharger is officially on the way. BrightGuy has a listing for it on their store and as well as an announcement page with PDFs for both rechargeable models on their FlashlightUniversity page. Mag-Tac Rechargeable will be using LiFePO4, probably for liability and longevity reasons.

• LED MagCharger is slated to "begin shipping in late 2013 or early 2014." I'm guessing MagCharger will be available in February-March based on prior product releases.
  • Mag-Tac Rechargable availability is TBA. While we're at it, it could use a less-cumbersome name: I like "TacCharger" because it better abides with established naming convention using one-half the syllables.

I'll probably pick one of these up when they come out, I really like the idea of a cradle-charging light. You can probably use D-cell extenders (Fivemega 120mm extender, for example) to vastly increase the runtime of the MagCharger with decent D cells (Tenergy Centura, et al).

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been out of the picture for a couple months, and seeing this post has reminded me to check with Maglite. Let me see if I can get some details or samples...

From an R&D perspective, the MagCharger LED shouldn't be intensive, but the ML150 fill the gap in their product line for a performance mid-sized light. The MagCharger is huge and heavy, at least by today's standards.

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I've been out of the picture for a couple months, and seeing this post has reminded me to check with Maglite. Let me see if I can get some details or samples...

From an R&D perspective, the MagCharger LED shouldn't be intensive, but the ML150 fill the gap in their product line for a performance mid-sized light. The MagCharger is huge and heavy, at least by today's standards.

I just noticed on Brightguy's website it appears as though the MagCharger LED is available now. Is anyone planning on doing a review of this light?

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I take that as a yes...I hope so, because I really enjoy your reviews.

saypat

Enlightened
I watched the video demo of the light. I like the light, but a bit pricey! Interesting UI for sure. I like that the beam is adjustable too. Did I mention a bit pricey?

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
AT LAST!

THE LED MAGCHARGER I'VE BEEN CRAVING FOR!

I'm absolutely DELIGHTED with this having been wanting Mag Instruments to release this for years. Like Christmas, Birthday, work bonus and a Lotto win
came all at once! From what I can tell it is carrying on in the proud tradition of the original MagCharger which is one of the best products I've ever owned.
But that leads me to one question:

Can the business end of things ie the LED module be retroactively fitted to a MagCharger Version 4?

I'm sincerely hoping the answer is YES. Otherwise its a purchase of a new MagCharger.

I would be purchasing immediately if BrightGuy delivered to the UK. Sadly all those incredible deals are for you lucky people in America.
And Mag Instruments have NO reference at all to it on their website. Are they utterly MAD? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
Maglite LED TAC Charger and MagCharger LED

I've just checked out both the MagCharger LED and the TAC Charger LED. I'm EXTREMELY impressed by both the specs and pics I've seen.
The TAC Charger appears to have a bang up to date version of the 'dual ring' stroke of genius that originally surfaced with the MagCharger
back in 1982.

Now I've posted a reply on another thread so I won't go on too much about how blown away I am. But suffice to say this has exploded the myth
that Mag Instruments can't design and build products every bit as advanced as the likes of Surefire.

My main questions though :

1) Any idea of when these products are going to be available in the UK? I kind of want them yesterday.

2) Are Mag Instruments going to provide a more advanced LSD (Low Self Discharge) NiMH battery technology
for the new MagCharger LED?

Any answers would be really appreciated as the Mag website is (at least here in the UK!) devoid of any info on either products.

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
There isn't any upgrade module available now, but you could look into the TerraLUX upgrade if you don't want to get another light.

I've added some information about the MagCharger LED and MAG-TAC Rechargeable here:

http://www.led-resource.com/upcoming-led-products/

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I've looked into the TerraLux module but have been informed that it isn't compatible with the Version 4 of my MagCharger.
If the worst comes to the worst I'll be selling my V4 and buying the new version. I also love the fact you're ahead of Maglites own website. Nice one...!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being ahead of Maglite's own website is nothing to be proud of. :(

Is version 4 the one with the electronic switch? That will probably cause all sorts of fun problems.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
$150 is a little pricy for the Mag Charger LED.. Obviously priced for mass Law Enforcement sales. But the charging cradle does make it pretty handy. I've been threatening to pick up an original MagCharger for oh... about 7 years now. There's no reason to not pick up the LED version instead. Especially as it pertains to runtime. I'll have to keep my eyes open and some reviews.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSRP is $150, so you can expect actual pricing to be a bit lower. $100-$120 is fairly typical for rechargeable lights though.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Maglite LED TAC Charger and MagCharger LED

I've just checked out both the MagCharger LED and the TAC Charger LED. I'm EXTREMELY impressed by both the specs and pics I've seen.
The TAC Charger appears to have a bang up to date version of the 'dual ring' stroke of genius that originally surfaced with the MagCharger
back in 1982.

Now I've posted a reply on another thread so I won't go on too much about how blown away I am. But suffice to say this has exploded the myth
that Mag Instruments can't design and build products every bit as advanced as the likes of Surefire.

My main questions though :

1) Any idea of when these products are going to be available in the UK? I kind of want them yesterday.

2) Are Mag Instruments going to provide a more advanced LSD (Low Self Discharge) NiMH battery technology
for the new MagCharger LED?

Any answers would be really appreciated as the Mag website is (at least here in the UK!) devoid of any info on either products.

Dont know about UK availability, but the Magcharger ships with a NiMH battery. I doubt it's LSd, though, as though 1/2 D sized cells are already difficult to locate, and probably do not have much R&D interest to create a LSD cell of that size.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

The battery in the ML125 is LSD NiMH, made by Intec, and rated for 1,000 cycles. MagCharger seems to use a larger version of the same battery, so I expect it to be the same. Will double-check and let you know.

nnmnu1

Newly Enlightened
How do you guys think this will compare to the malkoff magcharger led?

CDP930

Newly Enlightened

I've got the new magcharger led arriving today if anyone is interested in first impressions.

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened

Yes please..I'm anticipating great things.

And I also would be keen to know whether the LED module is available separately?

Thanks very much in anticipation.