need Eagletac UI explanation

miket458

Newly Enlightened
I am quite confused about eagletacs ui. On/off is controlled from the tail mounted clicky. To switch modes you loosen or tighten the head. That is where I am confused. Do you actually loosen/tighten it or is it simply just a rotation of the head?

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
On my P20A2 the head tight gives you High with the first push and strobe with a second (when activated by pressing switch 16? times) then just an 1/8 of a turn loose gives you low on first press and strobe on second. While light is on a tighten loosen motion gets you through the other modes.

Knifefeak

Newly Enlightened
If you go to the flashlight reviews thread section selfbuilt has a in depth review of some light with that UI

good luck

jimboutilier

Enlightened
The EagleTac UI
- The tail switch is a reverse clicky and always turns the light on or off with a full press-release
- The tail switch always progresses to the next brightness or mode with a half-press release
- There are two sets of modes - one head tight and one head loose
- With head tight the light always turns on to max brightness and a half press will switch between max brightness and strobe as these are the only two modes available in the head tight sequence
- With the head loose the light always turns on to min brightness and half presses sequence through low/med/high/low/med/high/hidden blinky modes. A long half press will take you back to the first low (unless the light supports memory mode and you have it turned on)
- So it's kind of having two lights in one - a tactical light if the head is tight and an EDC light if the head is loose
- There are usually two sets of head loose brightnesses - regular and moonlight and each moonlight one is a little less bright than the regular one. You select which set you want by programming it with a series of head twists explained in the manual.
- Some lights have a memory mode that you can turn off or on by programming it with a series of head twists explained in the manual. If it's off or the light doesent have it head loose works just like I described above. If you have it turned on, the light turns on at the last brightness level you used before turning it off rather than min. You also loose the ability to get back to min with a long half press.

Hope this helps. It's one of my favorite UIs. Foursevens quark pros and older Fenix lights are very similar but there are differences (like quarks only have one set of head loose brightnesses but has four rather than three levels).