Quick Observation On My New M6 And Battery Rattle.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
As discussed in an earlier thread, I finally went for an M6. I just received it today and here's some of my thoughts.

Wonderfully built light. Real quality! I'm a little bit disappointed in the beams though, because I guess I'm jaded by bright LED's. The 500 lumen MN21 HOLA is nice but I was expecting more brilliance. The 250 lumen LOLA is great and I really can't see too much difference between the two but since it's not dark yet, I can't give it a real test. But I'm one of those guys that really couldn't discern a big difference between a P60/P61 LA or a P90/P91 LA. Maybe it's just my tired old eyes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slight battery rattle! Have any of you M6 owners experienced this? I had to wrap the battery module with a plastic sheet to alleviate it. No big deal but this shouldn't be present on a light this expensive.

All in all, I'm glad to have it but couldn't imagine owning one when they first came out with 123 batteries selling at that time for $6.00 to $8.00 a piece! Surefire sure had some balls releasing this thing then and buyers did also!

Oh yeah, one last thing. The "Grip N Clip" neoprene sleeve in the D cell size fits fine as far as circumference goes but is way too long. You'd have to cut about 2" and the holding strap off.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There's no pleasing some people?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Have you used it outside in the dark yet?

When does it rattle? Under what sort of use?
If I shake an M6 then the MB20 Carrier rattles a bit - otherwise different types of 123A may cause the MB20 Carrier to jam inside the body because some are slightly thicker than others. Run the MN20 or MN21 for a complete set of SF123As constant-on and see if the heat causes the batteries to expand. Also, remember that the M6 is the flashlight version of the M500B that needs to be able to withstand the heating and cooling of being next to a carbine barrel in use on full-auto!

I don't recall noticing this rattle in use or other than shaking it (why would I do that?)

Al

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay Al! I'm a nit-pick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif There are Surefire brand 123's in it and when I picked it up I noticed some movement inside. I then "shook it" and there was MORE noticeable movement. I don't like an instrument of such expense to be other than PERFECT! It really wasn't a big deal to wrap it in plastic and thanks for the tip in that Surefire might have done this to fit all types of 123's into it. Makes sense.

I'll re-test it as soon as it becomes dark, (and I stated that fact in the above post), and see if I can see a significant difference in the LA's. Thanks as always Al for your input.

yclo

Flashaholic*
I notice the rattle, but as you stated above they need to compensate for the different 123 sizes.

To be really anal, I notice that there is a rattle when the Z57 is in the "on" position! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-YC

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
yclo,
Thanks for the confirmation. Coming from a great modder as you, I'll deal with it! By the way, I love the clickies I got from you. They are BETTER than the Z57's and NO rattles! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Quick Observation On My New M6 And Battery Rat

yes, there is rattle. but it is not that "cheap" sound of moving batteries, it is more of a mighty rumble in the belly of the beast ... ready to unleash its power upon your foe (usually a white wall) on a simple move of your thumb. A great rattle indeed.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard