Donations Needed for Christmas Gifts XI!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings everyone! I'm very sorry, I have dropped the ball this year and have posted this thread much too late, so I'll start both threads at the same time to get lights out in time for the holidays.

As our beloved member ksbman would say,
Its that time of year again. :santa:

Keith decided to pass on the santa hat to me two years ago, but by no means do I take credit for his hard work prior years, and all the donators that will hop in! He is still around, just not as much as before! :wave: :thumbsup:

Here are all past threads - 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 (lost in the crash) 2011
And here is last year's thread: 2012

Let us all kick back and have fun! Rummage in your drawers, closets, find a light (or 2 lovecpf) that you've not been using that you think would be great for a fellow flashaholic to get their hands on. :twothumbs
As said above, the rules will be mostly the same as last year :)

These rule are for the recipients.. not the donators, but if you want to donate a light and don't like the rules, They're flexible.

This offer is open to those participating members of the CPF community who cannot afford to buy one of these lights themselves, whether it be because they have no job, no disposable income, are still in school, or ?.

- If your 'About Me' profile isn't filled out, you don't qualify.
- If you have received a gift from each of the last 3 Christmas Give-aways, then you don't qualify.
- If you have more than one 'high end' light, you dont qualify.
- If you just don't want to spend your own money, you don't qualify.
- If you just want another light to add to your collection, you don't qualify.
- If you signed up for CPF just to join the giveaway, you don't qualify.

If you'd like to donate, it would be easiest if you just held on to the light until it is chosen. That way you could send it directly to the person who chose it, instead of mailing it to me and having me mail it again.

Gift donations will be accepted up until the day of the drawing; I'll start the drawing November 27th.

This thread is just for people who would like to donate a light. I'll start a thread next week for those of you who would like to receive a light.

Those who would like to donate, please email:

0001SS-2010-11-03_19.23.29.png

with the subject of at least CPF Giveaway in it :)

please include your CPF name if possible, otherwise, I'll list you as anonymous!
Oh, and include any location restrictions if you can! (for shipping might be expensive international).

Let the generosity commence! lovecpf :grouphug:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for doing it again this year, Craig.

Give me 24 hours to look through my collection so I can pick out at least a couple of lights that would be appropriate.

Will PM you no later than that with my donations.

Edit: Oops! I'll e-mail you instead. :eek:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
E-mail sent just seconds ago. :)

Craig, please let me know if you received it. (You know me. I don't trust these new-fangled things called computers.) :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
E-mail sent just seconds ago. :)

Craig, please let me know if you received it. (You know me. I don't trust these new-fangled things called computers.) :D

Thank you, Craig. Saw your confirmation e-mail. I appreciate it. Thanks again. :)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm debating donating my XM-L Nitecore TM26. I ordered the XM-L2 version (since it is my favorite light, I wanted the best version possible, even though it makes no rational sense) and if everything checks out OK with the new light, my old TM26 will be redundant. I'll keep you posted. I will definitely donate at least one light, e-mail to follow.

Also, can you add a link to the other thread you referenced? I think you'll get more donations if people know who they are helping...and if nothing else it will make everyone appreciate how lucky most of us are.

Are you encouraged/expected to provide cells/batteries also? Can we ask that people who don't have extra lights, donate extra batteries instead? 18650s will cost you a good chunk of change all by themselves. Should NiMH lights be prioritized due to safety/handling concerns for people who are not familiar with lithium ion cells? Also, has anyone thought about chargers? A light is only free if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to keep it running, after all...

Just throwing some ideas out there. Thanks for doing this!

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will definitely donate at least one light, e-mail to follow.

Also, can you add a link to the other thread you referenced? I think you'll get more donations if people know who they are helping...and if nothing else it will make everyone appreciate how lucky most of us are.

Good for you Doc. You can find the thread for recipients here.

There is no expectation to include batteries with the lights but many donors do so anyway. There are sometimes other donors who give just batteries, gift certificates, or other accessories. You can get an idea of what has been gifted in the past by checking out the links to past giveaways.

My decision is also influenced by battery type. I normally favor CR123 and Li-Ion lights but I'm planning on donating some that use AA's. They are more universally accepted and understood.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

They're helping out fellow members who are less fortunate than they are. That has always been good enough each Christmas season. :)

Are you encouraged/expected to provide cells/batteries also? Can we ask that people who don't have extra lights, donate extra batteries instead? 18650s will cost you a good chunk of change all by themselves. Should NiMH lights be prioritized due to safety/handling concerns for people who are not familiar with lithium ion cells? Also, has anyone thought about chargers? A light is only free if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to keep it running, after all...

Just throwing some ideas out there. Thanks for doing this!

Having participated in the last handful of years as a donor, I'd say that there are just certain things which are expected. Donate a light, you include a fresh set of batteries so that the recipient can instantly enjoy the gift as soon as they receive it. You can include extra cells if you'd like. But yeah, it's just expected that each donated light come with a fresh set of cells. If the light has no lock-out feature, include them in the package but outside of the light.

Extra batteries themselves can be donated if one doesn't have a light. It's not uncommon to see, for example, a case (12) of CR123 cells on the donation list available as a pick option.

It's just understood that flashaholics on both sides are aware of the dangers of lithium cells vs. NiMH rechargeable cells. However, on a personal basis (in the past) I have donated lights running off of CR123 cells and I have asked in the recipients topic that individuals not choose my donated CR123-based lights if they are not fully familiar with the potential dangers of using such cells. (The same would apply if I were donating lights running off of 18650 or similar types of rechargeable cells.)

Chargers can be donated as well, if a light primarily runs off of rechargeable cells.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having participated in the last handful of years as a donor, I'd say that there are just certain things which are expected. Donate a light, you include a fresh set of batteries so that the recipient can instantly enjoy the gift as soon as they receive it. You can include extra cells if you'd like. But yeah, it's just expected that each donated light come with a fresh set of cells. If the light has no lock-out feature, include them in the package but outside of the light.

I can't post batteries via airmail, Australia Post prohibits it. Sending a light surface mail would take the better part of a month (if not longer), so I'll be sending my lights powerless. Apologies to whomever it applies to.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can't post batteries via airmail, Australia Post prohibits it. Sending a light surface mail would take the better part of a month (if not longer), so I'll be sending my lights powerless. Apologies to whomever it applies to.

In such a case, where there's actually a law against it, no one will fault you for sending a light without batteries included.