Which torches have Nichia 219 LED as standard

Ernst from Germany

Newly Enlightened
Good evening, one question:
Which torch(es) have a Nichia 219 LED in production line up to now?
I know onlly the Eagletac Mx 25L3 with 6 Nichia LED.
Best greetings from Apelern near Hannover

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Nichia 219's are not offered in many production lights. And most of the one's I've seen are limited runs.

One's I've seen recently are
- P60/61 dropins for Surefire's/Malkhoffs etc
- L3 Illumination L10
- Xeno Cube
- Check out Vinhnguyen54 in the CPF Custom Flashlight Builders and Modders sub-forum here. He has a number of modded lights with 219s in them for sale or he may be able to mod a light for you of your choosing.
- In the Dealers corner in the Marketplace here, Illumination Supply has a pre-order for a special run or HDS EDC Clickys with N219s for sale (and there is rumor of a special run of Rotary's later)

Good luck in your hunt. I like the 219 tint the best of all high CRI lights I've seen. Its not super bright as a single LED but there are folks offering 3x and 6x lights if you need lots of lumens.

I just ordered one of Vinh's Jetbeam RRT-01's with an N219 (rather than the XML2 he normally offers) and am really looking forward to that.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
IlluminationGear will be offering the Eagletac D25LC2 with a hi CRI Nichia 219 in it. They told me they are expecting them sometime in December. They will be coming from Eagletac that way as a special run for IlluminationGear. I am looking forward to it, I like the 219!

markr6

Flashaholic
IlluminationGear will be offering the Eagletac D25LC2 with a hi CRI Nichia 219 in it. They told me they are expecting them sometime in December. They will be coming from Eagletac that way as a special run for IlluminationGear. I am looking forward to it, I like the 219!

Nice! I hope this catches on more and more.

To me, Nichia 219 IS the standard. Perfect tint. I love my L10s with the 219.

Less output? Yes. But I never really got on to the "more lumen" bandwagon. For instance my PD32UE is a great light, but I never get into the 400lumen mode and think "hmm, not enough I can't see over there" and kick it into the 740lm mode and think "OK there we go much better". The 340 extra lumens does almost nothing in this scenario; not very noticable. So it really kills me that manufacturers are going after the big numbers. Unfortunately I don't ever see it changing.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I hope this catches on more and more.

To me, Nichia 219 IS the standard. Perfect tint. I love my L10s with the 219.

Less output? Yes. But I never really got on to the "more lumen" bandwagon. For instance my PD32UE is a great light, but I never get into the 400lumen mode and think "hmm, not enough I can't see over there" and kick it into the 740lm mode and think "OK there we go much better". The 340 extra lumens does almost nothing in this scenario; not very noticable. So it really kills me that manufacturers are going after the big numbers. Unfortunately I don't ever see it changing.

I think you are right on all accounts. Unfortunately, things probably won't change. If you are into audio or recording the volume wars are a good example and they have gone past a point of no return with commercial music hyper-compression. Anyway, that's a whole rant in itself!

Disciple

Enlightened

I asked Tod to look into the possibility of this when the MX25L3C was released. I guess he did. :D I expect it will be with the B11 bin too, which is a nice little extra.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked Tod to look into the possibility of this when the MX25L3C was released. I guess he did. :D I expect it will be with the B11 bin too, which is a nice little extra.

Yeah, that should give us around 300 OTF on max is my guess. The MX25L3C with Nichia 219 is just over 1800 ANSI lumens. Divide that by six and you have 300 ANSI lumens. Those won't be just any lumens but hi CRI neutral white ones!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination Supply also has a run of HDS Systems lights in Nichia 219

illuminationsupply.com/hds-systems-c-28_93/?zenid=e871955f3e21944a5412600cbf2865d4

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
EDC+ (LINK) has carried quite a few production XENO lights with 219's in them, although they usually sell like hot cakes. Right now they only have one XENO with a 219 emitter that I can find, but I got myself a F7V6 (amazing thrower) and a E03 with Nichia 219's and absolutely love the emitters. I also managed to grab a triple 219 P60 drop-in recently from EDC+, and it is by FAR my favorite of all my 219's.

Either way I hope more and more companies start sticking 219's in their lights, as IMO it is the best LED emitter money can buy in regards to near perfect tint and high CRI. Cree's emitters have the advantage of raw output power, but the tints are 95% terrible and unpredictable, and usually yellow or green dominant (or far too warm). The Nichia 219's are as close to pure unbiased white as any high-power LED on the face of this planet has ever come close to, they just don't have the strength in output like the XM-L's.

I'm anxiously awaiting the day Zebralight makes a light dedicated to the Nichia 219 with their near-perfect UI. Cause while I have several 219 lights and love them, the UI's have a lot to be desired because most of the ones I have are simple "click three times to enter low mode" kinda stuff, which gets very irritating. Ideally I want to turn on a light to my desired mode instantly, without having to constantly switch modes.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that's right, I forgot about EDC+ offering several special runs with the Nichia. At least a few more are catering to us and maybe more will join later. We are a small voice I believe compared to the lumenholics.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm anxiously awaiting the day Zebralight makes a light dedicated to the Nichia 219 with their near-perfect UI. Cause while I have several 219 lights and love them, the UI's have a lot to be desired because most of the ones I have are simple "click three times to enter low mode" kinda stuff, which gets very irritating. Ideally I want to turn on a light to my desired mode instantly, without having to constantly switch modes.

Yeah, I can say with 100% certainty that would be my perfect light! Too bad they can't even be easily modded. I begged and pleaded them to make some Nichia 219s and even offered 3x the cost of a SC52 to make it happen...no go :(

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I can say with 100% certainty that would be my perfect light! Too bad they can't even be easily modded. I begged and pleaded them to make some Nichia 219s and even offered 3x the cost of a SC52 to make it happen...no go :(

I think the only Zebralight's that can be easily modded have been the original SC600's, which have a screw-off bezel. I got my SC600w swapped with a high CRI XM-L, but it is extremely warm, and makes everything look way too yellow/pink. And due to the amperage on turbo, I wouldn't dare put a Nichia 219 in there, which ideally goes to 1.5A, rather than the 3A the SC600 has.

I am tempted to get the mod done anyway, but I just worry I will accidentally put the light into turbo, or somebody else will, and fry the emitter. I assume the Nichia 219 can handle 3A for a short period of time, but still pretty risky. If anybody has any experience driving a Nichia 219 in a flashlight designed for a 3A XM-L, let me know. I remember there was a thread where somebody cranked up the amps on a 219, but am gonna have to search to find it.

I personally would rather have a near perfect tint with less lumens and an excellent UI, than high lumens and not the best tint. Perhaps I will ask vinh this question in his modding thread, cause a Sc600 with a Nichia 219... would be the perfect combo.

Or *gasp* a triple 219 in a Sc600 cranked at 3A :faint:

Last edited:

Disciple

Enlightened
I also managed to grab a triple 219 P60 drop-in recently from EDC+, and it is by FAR my favorite of all my 219's.

What do you prefer about the triple 219 P60 compared to your other 219 lights? Raw output? I mean to get a triple 219 of one form or another some day.

For what it's worth, I recently received a Zebralight H52w which I will be giving away this Christmas. It is the first XM-L light I've handled that I really like the tint of, and it has a limited amount of the color-separation/rainbow problem which I hate. It doesn't have the CRI of the Nichia 219 but it is very nice nevertheless. I suggest you find a way to try one if you haven't yet.

And due to the amperage on turbo, I wouldn't dare put a Nichia 219 in there, which ideally goes to 1.5A, rather than the 3A the SC600 has.

I am tempted to get the mod done anyway, but I just worry I will accidentally put the light into turbo, or somebody else will, and fry the emitter. I assume the Nichia 219 can handle 3A for a short period of time, but still pretty risky.

Or *gasp* a triple 219 in a Sc600 cranked at 3A :faint:

A Google search for "Nichia219 on copper" will take you to a test result that indicates the 219 can in fact handle 3 amps when properly cooled. The triple option sounds even better unless you're targeting throw.

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
What do you prefer about the triple 219 P60 compared to your other 219 lights? Raw output? I mean to get a triple 219 of one form or another some day.

For what it's worth, I recently received a Zebralight H52w which I will be giving away this Christmas. It is the first XM-L light I've handled that I really like the tint of, and it has a limited amount of the color-separation/rainbow problem which I hate. It doesn't have the CRI of the Nichia 219 but it is very nice nevertheless. I suggest you find a way to try one if you haven't yet.

Well this is my first triple, all my previous lights, Nichia 219 or otherwise, were all reflector based. The best way I can describe the triple difference, is there there really is no separate hotspot and spill, it's pretty much 100% hotspot. And as a result, the beam tint quality is 99% unchanged through the entire output. If examined really closely by holding against a wall (light-saber effect), there is some extremely minor tint variations on the very outer edges of the beam, but literally only noticeable shining on a wall like this.

One of the reasons I love the 219 emitter so much is that even in a reflector based light, the tint difference between hotspot and spill is really close, and is nice and uniform. Whereas most cree emitters the hotspot might, for example, be yellow and the spill purple/pinkish, making a rather annoying and obvious tint transition between the two. XM-L's are the worst offenders in this regard.

Also the triple 219 is a floody beast, it just blankets an entire area with beautifully tinted light, and since there is no defined hotspot and spill (as in a bright hotspot, and not as bright spill with reflector lights) it makes the light output extremely clean and balanced.

There is just something about the quality of light a triple 219 gives that I have not seen before in any other light I own, and I really love it! But be aware that unlike a single emitter reflector light, the beam itself is a bit 'rough' on the edges of the hotspot and not exactly a perfect sphere. It's kinda lumpy and the outer edges (the spill, what little there is) of the beam show a bit of a starfish kind of shape. While I am really picky about my tints and beam quality, it doesn't bother me in the least for some reason, and while in use (rather than white wall hunting) it isn't even noticeable and the big hotspot appears circular.

The other thing about the triple is that, like a mule or LED light without a reflector, the middle (hotspot) is the same tint as the spill on a reflector based 219 light. And the very outer edges are very lightly warmer. Whereas with a reflector based light, the hotspot is always warmer than the spill.

I highly recommend a 219 triple if you can get ahold of one, as not only is it much brighter than a single 219 emitter can get, but the light itself is amazingly useful for close to medium range uses (far more useful than a reflector light that has a focused beam, even if that beam is floody like a SC600).

A Google search for "Nichia219 on copper" will take you to a test result that indicates the 219 can in fact handle 3 amps when properly cooled. The triple option sounds even better unless you're targeting throw.

Yeah, I asked around and somebody told me that they use the 219 at 3 amps pretty frequently and it runs just fine (gets hot real fast though). Once I work up the courage to spend some extra cash for something I absolutely don't need and really can't afford, I am going to get my SC600 re-modded with a 219! :twothumbs

Disciple

Enlightened
Well this is my first triple, all my previous lights, Nichia 219 or otherwise, were all reflector based. The best way I can describe the triple difference, is there there really is no separate hotspot and spill, it's pretty much 100% hotspot. And as a result, the beam tint quality is 99% unchanged through the entire output.

Sounds lovely. I will get one of these next year after I recover from Christmas expenses.

One of the reasons I love the 219 emitter so much is that even in a reflector based light, the tint difference between hotspot and spill is really close, and is nice and uniform. Whereas most cree emitters the hotspot might, for example, be yellow and the spill purple/pinkish, making a rather annoying and obvious tint transition between the two. XM-L's are the worst offenders in this regard.

Aye, the rainbow effect.
yQxCujh.gif
I hate it too.

The other thing about the triple is that, like a mule or LED light without a reflector, the middle (hotspot) is the same tint as the spill on a reflector based 219 light. And the very outer edges are very lightly warmer. Whereas with a reflector based light, the hotspot is always warmer than the spill.

You lost me here; are you saying that even with the 219 the spill is a different color from the spot? I understand the yellow wide-angle light with regard to the XM-Ls (see linked thread above) which ends up in the spot in a reflector light but I thought the 219's were essentially uniform.