Modded solid brass coin cell light from Lowes

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I recently got a small lathe and this was my first project. It has been on my key chain for a couple months now and it works great for its intended application, and sometimes as a main task light. It is called a Utilitech #0225284 and it is usually right in the check out isle. The light is solid brass but has an ugly coating on it. The seems don't line up, is has a plastic button and a angry blue 5mm led.

I turned them down to reveal the brass as well as make the seems flush. Of course I had to polish them. Then I made brass buttons. Please forgive the bad photos and smudges, they have not been polished in a while. The second one from the front is otherwise stock. The one in the back is the one I carry and got some more love(and also has rougher machining as it was pretty much the first thing I cut on the lathe).
10qwfwy.jpg
[/IMG]

Made a pill out of brass to fit a roughly:eeew: cut down 3000k xr-e. Future examples with get an xpg on a 10mm board. Contacts are also brass and are insulated with delrin. As you look into the body of the light you can see how I made a hi/lo switch. Tighten for hi(direct drive) and loosen for low(100ohm resistor). The spring contacts first for low and the solid brass slug powers hi. These are both press fit/glued to a delrin insulator that fits over the stock pcb. The negative wire of the led is soldered directly to the pill and the positive wire is soldered to a brass contact under the delrin that is just barely visible in this pic. I'm waiting on thermal epoxy so the led is not glued down yet. I also cut the head down to allow for a wider spill.

156v8sx.jpg
[/IMG]

The business end.
x3hh1j.jpg
[/IMG]

I very much like the warm tint and of course it has a great even flood.
sczyh4.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry for the long post and thanks for watching.:wave:

Vin

chance91

Newly Enlightened
That is really, really cool. Love the natural brass. I have a streamlight nano I picked up that is very similar. I like what you did with yours. Do you worry about damaging the led with it exposed and so close to the tip like that? My pockets are not a friendly place :-D

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome mod. Love that it has a progressive twisty interface!

@chance91 - the MC-E and XR-E both had glass lenses instead of the gummy polymer that is used today. They were a lot more resistant to direct damage and cleaning.

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!

calipsoii is correct, the glass dome of the XR-E is very tough. However I have ordered and received medical grade ultra clear epoxy from Mcmaster. Just have not got around to trying it out yet.

After seeing your ongoing 1.5v project, your compliment is very much appreciated.