Skyray king shop light

Beachcomber

Newly Enlightened
I need a shop light for an off the grid shop and got the idea of getting a couple of skyray kings. I have a couple of large 2volt cells from an electric forklift and was wondering if there is a way to wire these without altering the lights so I could use them as flashlights later . Hope this makes sense since I'm not a modder .do these lights run off 3.7 volts?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
It wouldn't be too hard to adapt them for your purpose. You will need to wire your two 2 volt lead acid batteries in series to give you 4 volts. First take off the battery holder exposing the battery contact plate inside the head. The outer gold ring is the negative terminal while the inner gold ring is the positive. Your going to have to solder a wire on each ring. Don't worry, you can use a solder wick to remove most of the solder you will be using later. Your not going to be able to use very long of leads to each light. Maybe 12 or 15 feet if you keep the gauge small. And yes these lights are designed around a 3.7 volt lithium cell. There are SMD devices behind those contact rings so keep heat to a minimum if possible. The board will see the most heat when you begin unsoldering the wires and removing the solder.

Beachcomber

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I wanted to know . Soldering to the rings makes me nervous thou I have soldered successfully before just not around electronics.

inetdog

Enlightened
Instead of soldering to the terminals consider running the wires to a dummy battery shell instead.

Tapatalk...

Beachcomber

Newly Enlightened
Instead of soldering to the terminals consider running the wires to a dummy battery shell instead.

Tapatalk...
That's a great idea but wouldn't I need the tail cap on to hold the dummy in the light ,then how would I get the wires out of the light without drilling a hole in the light?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you have a choice between drilling a hole and getting solder on those beautiful gold plated rings...

Toaster79

Enlightened
And also keep in mind that not using battery tube means losing a large portion of heatsinking so you should expect some thermal managment issues.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
And also keep in mind that not using battery tube means losing a large portion of heatsinking so you should expect some thermal managment issues.
That's a good point. Surface area cant hurt. So here is what you do Toaster79. After soldering (should you decide that) the wires, unscrew the end cap and you will see the PCB back plate. It's held in with screws. Take the back plate off and now you have the battery housing, sans the end cap and back plate. Voila!

Beachcomber

Newly Enlightened
That's a good point. Surface area cant hurt. So here is what you do Toaster79. After soldering (should you decide that) the wires, unscrew the end cap and you will see the PCB back plate. It's held in with screws. Take the back plate off and now you have the battery housing, sans the end cap and back plate. Voila!
That's the way I have it pictured in my head , SRK with 2 wires coming out of it with tail cap off ,so what guage wire would be required for say 12-15 feet?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh! In all the pictures, I never noticed that the battery compartment was two pieces that come apart. I always thought it was one piece.

Toaster79

Enlightened

Off:
I'm not doing anything and neither is OP. What tailcap are you talking about? Do you actually know what the light looks like?

On:

You could remove the switch and lead the wires through that opening to the driver board. Anyway, how and where are you planing to fix these?

Beachcomber

Newly Enlightened
Off:
I'm not doing anything and neither is OP. What tailcap are you talking about? Do you actually know what the light looks like?
No , not the tail end ,lol
On:

You could remove the switch and lead the wires through that opening to the driver board. Anyway, how and where are you planing to fix these?
great idea through the switch hole . Planing on clamping them to the rafters somehow