Confused... Need G2 LED drop in... nothing fancy!

connortn

Newly Enlightened
There seems to be more info here than I can digest about LED drop-ins for the Surefire G2, so I thought I'd try to save a lot of time and confusion by just asking....

I have an older G2 that's probably 10-15 years old before they even thought of using LED's for them. I would like to find a LED drop-in that would be equal to what the incan bulb would be. Same color or temp, same output, same flood, non-regulated. I have read that using a dedicated 6v. drop-in is best for this light due to heat build-up for ones that will operate at muliti voltages. True?

I like non-regulated lights. Simple, doesn't go dead all of a sudden, slow drop in output.

Is there a G2 LED drop-in that meets these requirements? Do not want high output as I don't want to worry about heat issues. I would like the color temp to equal as close to possible the original incan bulb.

What choices do I have?

Thanks!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be more info here than I can digest about LED drop-ins for the Surefire G2, so I thought I'd try to save a lot of time and confusion by just asking....

I have an older G2 that's probably 10-15 years old before they even thought of using LED's for them. I would like to find a LED drop-in that would be equal to what the incan bulb would be. Same color or temp, same output, same flood, non-regulated. I have read that using a dedicated 6v. drop-in is best for this light due to heat build-up for ones that will operate at muliti voltages. True?

I like non-regulated lights. Simple, doesn't go dead all of a sudden, slow drop in output.

Is there a G2 LED drop-in that meets these requirements? Do not want high output as I don't want to worry about heat issues. I would like the color temp to equal as close to possible the original incan bulb.

What choices do I have?

Thanks!

Check out the Malkoff M61LL - you can get one in Nichia 219 (4500k) or a warm XPG2 (3200) that will match the incandescent closely. It is regulated for 10 hours, but has another 3-4 hour taper after it drops out of regulation, so as not to leave you in the dark.

Redhat703

Enlightened
I don't have the M61LL HCRI2 so I can't speak about it. I have the M61WLL inside a SF G2 host and love it.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoffs are perfect for this application. The big brass heatsink compensates for good heatsinking through the host so you can run higher output if you want. If you don't, there is of course the various Low output modules. As others have said, they run regulated for a long time and then begin a long slow taper in direct drive after that.

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I'll give the Malkoff a try. I was hoping for something a bit less expensive thou. It's going to cost me more for the LED module than for what I paid for the G2. ..almost twice as much! Course I bought it 15 years or so ago also :)

C.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumunation Supply has a coupon code to save money right now. BLACKNOVEMBER
Thanks guys. I'll give the Malkoff a try. I was hoping for something a bit less expensive thou. It's going to cost me more for the LED module than for what I paid for the G2. ..almost twice as much! Course I bought it 15 years or so ago also :)

C.

T45

Enlightened
The Gap...
The drop ins you see on Ebay and some other sites will leave a small gap between the bezel and body once installed. For whatever reason, most P60 drop ins are not made to fit a Surefire light, hence you are left with "The Gap". Unfortunately, the Malkoffs have the same problem as well. Malkoffs are exceedingly well made, last years and years, and Gene Malkoff backs them with a life time warranty.

T45

Enlightened
Email Sent Out Today
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello All,

Happy Thanksgiving! Let us all be thankful for the Blessings God has given
us this year and for the restoration of true Constitutional leadership in
our government!

We are having a Black Friday Sale starting at midnight tonight. All
Inventory (we will be adding more this evening) will be discounted 15% for
Friday only. Please don't ask us to preempt or extend for items
recently purchased or future purchases. Yes, people do actually do this.

Thank You so much for your support. It means the world to us!

Have a Great Thanksgiving,

Gene, Cathy, and Todd

01foreman400

Newly Enlightened
I recently put a Surefire replacement on mine. I love it.
a6y3upyn.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m4a1usr

Enlightened
The Gap...
The drop ins you see on Ebay and some other sites will leave a small gap between the bezel and body once installed. For whatever reason, most P60 drop ins are not made to fit a Surefire light, hence you are left with "The Gap". Unfortunately, the Malkoffs have the same problem as well. Malkoffs are exceedingly well made, last years and years, and Gene Malkoff backs them with a life time warranty.
All mine I sell are cut with a taper on the reflector tail section to drop down deeper into the light body. But I don't offer any with warm tints to them. All are cool white. And I don't sell anything down around 65 lumens.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

C.

Trust us, you'll love it.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will absolutely love a Malkoff - it's regulated *and* you get a long, slow taper afterwards. The best of both worlds.

1. The Malkoff website is running a 15% off sale, so you can get a M61WLL. No coupon code needed.
2. The Illumination Supply website is running 30% off on all Malkoff drop-ins, so either the M61NLL -or- the M61LL HCRI2. Code: "BLACKNOVEMBER"

If you want as close to incandescent as you can get, I suggest the M61LL HCRI2.

You will be absolutely blown away by the change in output, as well as the run time. :D

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Okay! Okay! You guys win. Started to order the M61WLL for the 10 hour runtime, but ended up ordering the M61WL for a bit more output, not that I really needed it. It was notated on the description that it was a bit more warmer than previous warm M61Wl which is what I think caught my attention. I think it will get about double the runtime as the incan, twice or more brightness and hope it will last as long as I do... which may not be so long at my age! Thanks for helping me spend my money guys :D

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup - the G2 is why Mr. Malkoff started the "L" release, so it can run in the Nitrolon host without no issues.

Connor, when you get your M61WL, I'd love to hear your impression of it. :)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Yes, I replaced the older M60LL in my wife's light (a SureFire G2 Nitrolon) with an M61LN a while back.

I'm happy to hear the OP went with a single 'L', not sure why all the suggestions prior to that were for 'LL's only. :thinking:

OP, don't worry about the upfront cost of the Malkoff's, I've found that they hold their resale value extremely well compared to lesser dropins (for good reason). If you ever upgrade or become interested in a different light configuration, you will still do well. :)

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LL comes closest, I think, to the Surefire incan bulb which the OP was aiming for.

The L variant tends to be on the cusp of too bright for casual applications, again in my opinion. Whereas the LL or even the LLL variants are almost perfect for 5 to 15 foot range use, particularly in the N, W, or HCRI-2 variants.

I can't wait to hear Connor's impression of his new LED upgrade, especially compared to what he's used to from his old incan bulbs. :D

connortn

Newly Enlightened
I will post my thoughts about the drop-in when it arrives. Received an update that it had shipped today. As Medina wrote, I had originally concidered the LL version as it was the closest to the original output of the incan bulb which was plenty enough bright for me, but the L version ones available at this time were quoted as being a bit warmer than previous L versions in the warm variation, so I went with it.

I have found that the inexpensive Ray-o-vac Indestructible in the AA version is great for keeping around also. I think they're around 100-120 lumens and do great out on the farm. Just wish they were a bit warmer in tint. They're not bad at all compared to most inexpensive lights and I have yet to damage one even dropping them on hard concret. Wonder if there is a warm tinted Malkoff drop-in that would work for them?

Z-Tab

Enlightened
A Malkoff L or LL drop-in in a Surefire G2 is a nearly perfect emergency light. I have no doubt that it will last you another 15 years.