Xenon 3 into 4

Mic

Newly Enlightened
Hi all
This is my first post,I found this great forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif while searching for some standard mag 4D Bulbs lol,its a mine of information here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
Now i need your help
I'm now planing on putting in a Mag Xenon Star 3 Cells bulb in my Mag 4D will this work or would be better off with the Mag Xenon Star 4 Cells bulb, i also want to get a Acrylite Lens for it,

I will also upgrade my Mag AA with a NewBeam LED module, how much of a diffrence will this make.

lol i'll have to get the wife a Arc AAA so i can get the above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks
Mic

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag Xenon 3 cell bulb will be very bright in your 4 cell Mag, however bulb life will be shorter than stock. Keep a 4 cell bulb in the tailcap for when it blows. It's worth it though.
And by the way, welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

arioch

Enlightened
Mic,

Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

3 cell Xenon bulb in 4 cell light is not recommended. Likelihood of flashing (waste of $3-4). Better choice would be a 3 cell Krypton bulb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For the MiniMag, the MadMax sammiches come highly praised.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just bust out the lens with a hammer, that way you get 100% light transmission-can't beat that. That's what I do, usually unintentionally. Anyway, I looked at those lenses too, and they seem expensive for what you get. To see a difference of 8%, er, well, that's probably impossible. 25% difference is even hard to really discern.

The bulb upgrade is the way to go. The 3D xenon is probably a bit too much overdrive from what I've read on other posts-but depending on the price may be worth trying. I've tried normal krypton bulbs and they seem to do ok when overdriven 33%.

Cheers

Mic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks thats saved me some cash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'll try a 3 cell Krypton bulb & a 4 cell Xenon for now & see which works best
I've read about the MadMax but i can only find the NewBeam in the U.K, still looking for a Arc AAA overhere but no luck yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

lol cheesehead a hammer, i dropped mine & the lens cracked thats how i found this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for all you help
Mic

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I think the Acrylite lens is for clearing the beam of any artifacts, is this what you intended? Or did you mean the UCL glass lens for more light comin' out the front?

Mic

Newly Enlightened
Hi MR Bulk
I am after just clearing up the the beam of any artifacts
I've been looking for the last couple of nite's on lens & bulbs for Mag-lite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif with links on this forum there just so much to read & review
i didn't know you could do so many mods to Flashlights or that there where better Flashlights than Mag-lite,

Mic

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
For maximum light transmission, and brightness I am using the following on an old mag 4 cell. A 3 cell Halogen bulb, and a UCL from flashlightlens.com. I think the halogens have less artifacts (maybe due to bulb shape), and I can't really tell the "white" difference betweeen that and xenon.
It is the best Mag I have ever used now, and I was about ready to sell it at the garage sale!

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Mic, I mis-read your question. Acrylite makes some sense to me, but I'm sure you've read all the posts already. Seems to me that the Acrylite will improve the beam pattern on a white wall, but in the real world I'm not quite as convinced it makes a difference. I'd still prefer a bit more throw than a bit more "smoothness". But if you get one, let us know if you like it.

With respect to UCL, I still rec'd busting out the lens with a hammer first and seeing if that improves thru-transmission. 100% transmission is 100% transmission.

cheese

Mic

Newly Enlightened
Don't be sorry cheesehead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'm finding more & more out as i go, & love all the interesting way you all go to to find the best from each Flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
i've been using my 4D Mag today like you say with no glass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif & it dose seem brighter, must have been scratched the one i smashed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
But i'll have to get a new one as i use it in all weather.
I'll let you know how i get on with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Thanks all for your help
Mic

Latest posts