LuxIII 2x123 DD Test /To Kill a TWAKing Bird RIP

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a test to see if the LuxIII TWAK LED will handle the output of the 2x123 battery configuration because there has been some skepticism and I want to know too!

I am a newbie here not a modder, builder or anything of that nature with almost no experience in electronics and even worse command of the English language so please excuse my poor writing skills. If you have any questions please ask the educated and experienced people here at CPF, I'm just trying to make a round peg fit in a square hole.

This is going to be about as much fun as watching wet paint dry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is a beam shot from last week when I put these two lights together with fresh batteries in Mag bodies with HotLips 3D on the left 2C 2x123 on the right.
fa5cb394.jpg

Ok were cooking!
fa58f9d3.jpg

fa58f9d0.jpg

At this point the light was getting dim but still very useable and the pictures looked green this is caused by the camera, 3C thrown in for comparison. During the test the whole body of the light got warm but not hot to the touch.
fa58f9ca.jpg

Reload time now with fresh 123's, is it just me or do you see a color shift?
fa58edaa.jpg

Ok last picture for this evening.
fa58e027.jpg

I use my last set of SF 123's for the first run and had to change to DP's in the second test so some of the control is lost but the TWAK is still kicking?

Later
Sawy

12-9-03 2pm
I left the light running and turned in for the day when I got up around 11am the batteries were dead so I reloaded and turned it on, BAM! I got 1 second of brilliant blue light and it died. End of test

Later
Sway the TWAKinator

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: LuxIII 2x123 DD Test / To Kill a TWAK-ing Bir

owwwwww... that poor beautiful twak.... use a lower flux led or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

kj

Enlightened

Thanks for uploading pics. Do you have DMM or ammeter? If you have, that would be great if you can measure the current with new batteries.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Mr Bulk.

I let the light cool off a little and took it outside to see what it would do in the cool night air. Just when I turned it on a fire stated about 300 yards away "Did I do that"
fa58c7cc.jpg

Lets see what happens to the house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later
Sway

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LuxIII 2x123DD Test / To Kill a TWAK-ing Bird

Whoah! That's a beamshot!

I never would have thought your light would do two hard runs like that.

Color shift could be the camera auto adjusting?

I don't know what it would be called, but I think you deserve some kind of an award (or certificate) for this deal.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LuxIII 2x123DD Test / To Kill a TWAK-ing Bird

Color shift is indicating that the lux is in pain! it's being driven to hard.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sway, I salute your bold pursuit of knowledge. After you run a few more sets of batteries you may be in a position to help out with one of my projects:
HERE
Keep me in mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Funny! I immediately thought of Doug, the LS undertaker, when I saw the one beam shot of screaming blue agony! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doug,

Doug that is such a morbid thing you are doing, I'm interested PM sent! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later
Sway

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well when I got up this morning the batteries were dead so I put in a fresh set of 123's and turned it on and got a brilliant flash of blue light and it died.

The first set of batteries had about 20 minutes run time on them when I started and the color of the light stayed about the same it just got dimmer nothing new here. As you can see in the picture when I put the second set of batteries in the light was blue about the same color in the picture as to the eye and was much bluer than the 3C that I was using for reference. During the whole test the light was laying on it's side and I didn't move it around but I did touch it every time I made a picture and it got warm but never what I would call hot or uncomfortable to the touch.

I have another TWAK that backs up into the corner and shivers every time look at it, what do you guys think about a 1x123 + 1xL91 battery combo.

Later
Sway

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

So what was the total runtime on the LuxIII?

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
So what was the total runtime on the LuxIII?

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched it for 3 1/2 hours before having to turn in and get some sleep. So I really don't know how long it ran into the morning but the batteries were drained when I check in on it about 8 hours later.

Later
Sway

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Ah yes, but the candle that burns brightest...

Besides, Lumileds is cranking out a thousand of his clones every hour! Just buy more!

Nice test Sway, thanks for breaching the envelope for us. Now I know where not to go...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

But Charlie, a TWAK is not the easiest bin to get ahold of. I covet the three I have dearly (one still needs to be installed in it's home)! I suppose the K voltage bin didn't help either, maybe an M would have lasted longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I had a feeling 6v was just too much for those little guys!

Thanks for showing us all what not to do Sway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow Sway, you pushed it till it died! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

kj

Enlightened

Oh, Sway, I'm sorry about its death. Definitely, I did see that screaming blue on mine!

FYI, that was a L voltage bin. I've not tested a M voltage one.

Before killing another III, I'm going to try various resistors to find what resistor is appropriate to run III at 1~2A.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the support gang! I did make more pictures that what I put up but being on dial-up it just takes to long.

The most interesting thing was the "screaming blue" picture when I first put the second set of batteries in I guess by this time the damage was done because it didn't do that on the first set. It remained in this blue tint for the next hour that I kept check on it just getting dimmer. Milky suggested at 2 or 2.4 ohm resistor for the 2x123 so it looks like a trip to Rat Shack tomorrow for some parts.

The TWAK will be packaged for the occasion and delivered to Doug S for proper disposal along with a 3D driven SWAK that all the sudden just went dim after several uses.

Later
Sway

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I have personally seen the ANGRY BLUE color of the 3 watt LED as I supplied it with 4 AA batteries for a short period. It nearly frightened me when I turned it on for the first time. It wasn't a TWAK, though, just one of the more 'ordinary' ones. Still, I don't really expect that long of a life out of it, even though it's now in my Blaster III. I expect it will blink out on me sometime down the road. The damage was probably done in those few short run times (of only a few seconds at a time. The longest being maybe 10 seconds).

My condolences for your loss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif