Making my first light from scratch 10440 xpg direct drive*Update made copper head

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at making a light so go easy on me. You guys make it look easy:shakehead The body is made from brass and the heat sink is copper, as you can tell. I have temporarily made the head out of delrin and as such I did not put much time into making it fancy. I hope to replace it with copper but at the moment I do not feel I can produce quality internal threads in copper. For now the light is running direct drive, though I plan on making a two or three stage resistor pack. Or better yet, does anyone know where I can get some QTC? Anyways, on to the light.....

You can still smell the machinists blue.
2j5mbkl.jpg
[/IMG]

Using a hi cri xpg on a 10mm board from illumination supply. The optic is a tina-2 from Cutter. Don't have any proper wire so this will do for now. Still pulls ~.9 amps from a cell with 3.8v free load.

2zswjnp.jpg
[/IMG]

Bottom of heat sink showing positive brass contact insulated in delrin. The positive wire is soldered to the brass contact and the negative wire is a friction fit between a slot cut in the delrin and the sink.

[video]
xlf6u0.jpg
[/video]

Assembled light engine.

ogc2o4.jpg
[/IMG]

Threaded into head. Dull, bent drill bit in dremel=sloppy holes:ohgeez:

2wcfrzt.jpg
[/IMG]

Stainless ITP a3, the watchamacallit, Peak El Capitan QTC.

144a7er.jpg
[/IMG]

Hopefully with time I can produce a better product. Comments/critisism always wealcome and again, thanks for watching.

Vin.

Last edited:

Hoop

Enlightened
Re: Making my first light from scratch 10440 xpg direct drive

Looking good. It is taller than I was expecting! You could always make the head out of aluminum until you can make it out of copper, if heat is a concern. The place to get QTC material has been and still seems to be http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/Site/Home

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for the link, I will order some tomorrow. Yes it is quite tall. I wanted the heat sink to have some mass for running at high current in such a small package. Perhaps I went a bit overkill:thinking: Good call on using aluminum for now. I need to get a real set of boring bars as currently I am just extending a purpose ground piece of 1/8 hss stock out of my tool holder. It has much too much flex for cutting metal.

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened

Ok, I went for the gold and made a head out of copper:crackup: It actually came out really nice. Also made a brass bezel to give it some more contrast. Overall I am very happy with the light. I might replace the optic with the reflector from my dead ITP a3. It has nice flood but it doesn't have the wow factor I was hoping for. The reflector should give it the punch I am looking for.

Pics came out really bad this time. I really need to get a proper light setup. Still thinking about adding some grooves on the head and body, maybe even some external o-rings.

1jus2h.jpg
[/IMG]

vnzbdz.jpg
[/IMG]

Vin

Last edited: