Sky Lumen        
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 96

Thread: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO+

  1. #31

    Default L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, V...

    I used epoxy, I like how il look and I can be sure it will not fall off even if pulled hard..

    Was it so hard to design a reliable clip? A couple of small screws would have served well and would work alone as anti roll system even without clip installed.

    This is to my mind the only defect of an almost perfect flashlight. Anyway nothing to worry..

  2. #32

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Quote Originally Posted by EngrPaul View Post
    *The LED's on all Nichias are centered quite nicely.
    I have one L10 219 and one Xeno E03 219. Both LED's were off centre. The E03 was worse but both beams were fine. Well, the L10 was so slightly off you couldn't really tell without measuring it.

  3. #33

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, V...

    Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post

    I wish they made an 18650 version!
    +1

  4. #34

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, V...

    I have a bunch of the L10's all with 219. Great light and tint like all have mentioned. I'm always looking to use my 14500's in AA lights knowing the trade-offs. None of my AW or Keeppower 14500's fit for normal operation. Both too tall and the head only screws on 2/3 of the way. Making contact to turn on/off or switch modes is difficult. Has anybody found protected 14500's that work with this light?

  5. #35
    Flashaholic* DaFABRICATA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,946

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, V...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trident1 View Post
    I have a bunch of the L10's all with 219. Great light and tint like all have mentioned. I'm always looking to use my 14500's in AA lights knowing the trade-offs. None of my AW or Keeppower 14500's fit for normal operation. Both too tall and the head only screws on 2/3 of the way. Making contact to turn on/off or switch modes is difficult. Has anybody found protected 14500's that work with this light?
    I too bought a bunch of these to give as gifts. I still have 3 for myself since some people didnt show up.
    Using the Eagletac or AW 14500's I've had no problems and the amount of light on high is pretty cool!
    One of them did get opened up so I can use the driver in another light. It's a stacked design with a small board on top of a larger one. I'll post pics of the driver later if anyone would like to see what it looks like.
    Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman



  6. #36

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, V...

    Quote Originally Posted by DaFABRICATA View Post
    I'll post pics of the driver later if anyone would like to see what it looks like.
    Yes please!

  7. #37

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, V...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trident1 View Post
    None of my AW or Keeppower 14500's fit for normal operation. Both too tall and the head only screws on 2/3 of the way. Making contact to turn on/off or switch modes is difficult. Has anybody found protected 14500's that work with this light?
    Hmm, worked fine on my AW protected 14500 cells. Yes, they are a little taller than standard cells. But the lights still worked normally.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

  8. #38

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, V...

    Not sure why I have the problem. 2 AW's and 5 Keeppower's all a little on the long side for the lights. Regular AA's are perfect fit. Granted, AW's are closer to "good" fit, but head much harder to operate. Keeppowers noticeably longer and pretty much not usable on these lights.

  9. #39
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    I was going to try kinko imr button top 14500 cells in mine soon. Much shorter and still button top so should work I think. Just gotta be careful on heat buildup in such a small light

  10. #40
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    131

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Any chance of run time chart on 14500?

  11. #41

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Quote Originally Posted by tallboybass View Post
    Any chance of run time chart on 14500?
    No.

    As my results show, both Hi and Turbo on 14500 are extremely bright - frankly, I would not consider these levels appropriate for extended runtime on 14500.

    I could do a runtime on the Med level, but that won't really tell you much. FYI, when matched for output, 14500 tends to give exactly the same runtime as 2000mAh NiMH. The reason for this is that their ability to do work is pretty much the same (i.e., W=VC). So a 3.7V nominal 750mAh 14500 (2775 mAhV) is close to a 1.2V nominal 2000mAh NiMH (2400 mAhV) in terms of total runtime.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

  12. #42
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    131

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    The term 'mAhV' is new to me. Are you saying that if there were equivalent settings of say, 100 lumens available using 14500's and Eneloops that the runtimes would be very similar between the two? Hope this isn't an ignorant question.

    (I would be very interested to see a runtime chart on the Low setting with 14500, being a very usable ~73 lumens.)
    Last edited by tallboybass; 01-06-2014 at 11:18 AM.

  13. #43

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Quote Originally Posted by tallboybass View Post
    Are you saying that if there were equivalent settings of say, 100 lumens available using 14500's and Eneloops that the runtimes would be very similar between the two?
    That's it exactly. The Li-ion 14500 will show slightly "flatter" regulation, but otherwise runtime will be about the same.

    I'm a little swamped with other lights right now, so won't have time to do the lower runtime - sorry.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

  14. #44
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    131

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    I know you're a busy man, no prob!

    So, the main decider on runtime charts for 14500 operation is whether or not the factory says it supports that...is that a fair statement?

    Think I'll do an unofficial test, using an AW IMR 14500 on the Low setting, just for my own curiosity.

    EDIT: It easily went 3 1/2 hours.
    Last edited by tallboybass; 01-08-2014 at 04:31 AM.

  15. #45
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    sfv, california
    Posts
    1,817

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Your comparison pics made me realize just how small and thin this light is.
    Very helpful info, thank you selfbuilt!

    Quote Originally Posted by tallboybass View Post
    Think I'll do an unofficial test, using an AW IMR 14500 on the Low setting, just for my own curiosity.

    EDIT: It easily went 3 1/2 hours.
    Thanks for that!
    Did the light stay in regulation the whole time or taper to lower brightness during end?

    Was this the Nichia 219 or the XPG2 version?

  16. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tallboybass View Post
    The term 'mAhV' is new to me
    The usual term is mWh ( A * V = W , Ah * V = Wh ) and the m is just a prefix for milli.
    Last edited by dts71; 01-10-2014 at 01:00 AM.

  17. #47

    Default

    double
    Last edited by dts71; 01-10-2014 at 01:00 AM.

  18. #48
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    131

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Quote Originally Posted by THE_dAY View Post
    Thanks for that!
    Did the light stay in regulation the whole time or taper to lower brightness during end?

    Was this the Nichia 219 or the XPG2 version?
    Pretty sure it wasn't regulated, as it started bright and tapered through the run.

    This was the Nichia version.

    ...and yes, this is about as small as a AA light can be. I'm loving mine with the 14500, it holds a very usable moonlight mode, gives you 80ish lumens on low and then 200ish+ lumens on med. High is almost imperceptibly higher so I don't bother, making this a really nice 3-mode light on li-ion.
    Last edited by tallboybass; 01-10-2014 at 06:46 AM.

  19. #49
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    120

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    I have the L10 Nichia 219 4 mode, and the twist action seems tight to me. I cleaned and lubed the threads, but I think the tight feel is more from the do-nut/washer thing rubbing against the battery. It also feels like the battery is twisting inside as well. Maybe this is all normal. The mode switching is fine, but not smooth compared to my Foursevens Mini MA and especially the Olight I3s (which is the smoothest of my lights). Just wondering if I'm missing something. Not a big deal, and I really do like this light.

  20. #50

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Quote Originally Posted by revscott View Post
    I have the L10 Nichia 219 4 mode, and the twist action seems tight to me. I cleaned and lubed the threads, but I think the tight feel is more from the do-nut/washer thing rubbing against the battery. It also feels like the battery is twisting inside as well. Maybe this is all normal. The mode switching is fine, but not smooth compared to my Foursevens Mini MA and especially the Olight I3s (which is the smoothest of my lights). Just wondering if I'm missing something. Not a big deal, and I really do like this light.
    Yes the battery will rotate a little. The action is also somewhat tight especially when compared to something like the Olight i3 - I'm guessing because those threads are huge compared to the razorblade-narrow threads on the L10.
    GOOD TINT!

  21. #51
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    sfv, california
    Posts
    1,817

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Quote Originally Posted by tallboybass View Post
    Pretty sure it wasn't regulated, as it started bright and tapered through the run.

    This was the Nichia version.

    ...and yes, this is about as small as a AA light can be. I'm loving mine with the 14500, it holds a very usable moonlight mode, gives you 80ish lumens on low and then 200ish+ lumens on med. High is almost imperceptibly higher so I don't bother, making this a really nice 3-mode light on li-ion.
    Thanks for that!
    I have a Fenix E15 (w/ 219) for my keychain daily use and just started using IMR16340.
    I get similar results, med now starts at 200+ lumens and low is around 40 lumens for 4.5hrs with steady regulation.
    High level is too similar to medium so don't even use it.

    I wanted to try the L10 L3 Nichia 219 version with 14500 but now that I'm using IMR16340 in the E15 it is giving similar results.
    Big plus for me is E15 starts on med so 200+ nichia lumens with first twist
    Last edited by THE_dAY; 01-14-2014 at 01:53 PM.

  22. #52
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    120

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Anyone figured out a simple way to smooth out the sharp edges on tail cap for lanyard hole? I don't own a Dremel.

  23. #53
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Hi, I'm looking at both this L10 and the Xeno E03 for backup duties (car, basement, etc) and I've seen people debating the pros/cons of either a fair bit, however there's something that jumps out at me and I just don't see anyone talking about it... The L10 seems to be significantly more efficient on medium when using alkalines, pulling off a 6-7 hour runtime whereas looking back at the E03 review it wasn't even managing 5 hours... It's a little hard to draw direct comparisons since there's a small lumens discrepancy and so many different emitters etc to contend with, plus the fact that some were only run thru on alkalines (I imagine it can only get better with NiMH tho, no?).

    Am I missing something? Is this discrepancy context/age related since the E03 review quite a bit older, or is the L10 just much more efficient? The E03 kinda appealed to me more due to the clicky interface, better build quality, lack of moonlight (just a hassle for a twisty backup light IMO, even though I'd value it elsewhere), and even the gimmicky GitD accents... But efficiency kinda trumps all that in my book. Are there any other similar clicky budget lights I should be looking at? Was looking to stay at or under $30, size isn't a big deal (again, they're gonna be stored most of the time, bigger's probably better just so it's easier to reach for then needed).

  24. #54

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Quote Originally Posted by Impulses View Post
    The L10 seems to be significantly more efficient on medium when using alkalines, pulling off a 6-7 hour runtime whereas looking back at the E03 review it wasn't even managing 5 hours...
    The E03 doesn't have a medium, it's high, low and lower ... but yes, the E03 on medium has a much higher current draw. It's 150mA to the LED so with the boost circuit it does about 0.50A from the tail cap. The L10 is 0.25mA from the tail cap.

  25. #55
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Okay, but are you saying there's a big discrepancy in brightness between the E03's med/low setting and the L3's mid setting? Cause it looked like 5-10 lumen on the graphs (going off memory here) and I keep reading about how such differences are relatively minor cause of how we perceive light etc etc... Or are you just saying that yeah the E03's just particularly more efficient at that particular range?
    Sunwayman D40A :: ZebraLight SC52 :: Olight S15 Baton :: Xeno E03 V3
    Olight i3S EOS :: CQG S2 :: Energizer High Tech Keychain Light

  26. #56

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Quote Originally Posted by Impulses View Post
    Cause it looked like 5-10 lumen on the graphs (going off memory here) and I keep reading about how such differences are relatively minor cause of how we perceive light etc etc..
    No, it's 5-10 Relative Output Values. To convert that into lumen, you need to use Selfbuilts lume estimation formulas (plural as the L10 is is ROV < 25 and the E03 is ROV > 25).

    Quote Originally Posted by Impulses View Post
    Or are you just saying that yeah the E03's just particularly more efficient at that particular range?
    Bottom line is that the E03 drives the LED harder than the L10 on the respective medium/mid levels. More current to the LED on the E03 than the L10 so more boost required from the battery.

  27. #57
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Thanks, I was clearly overlooking a few things in reading those results.
    Sunwayman D40A :: ZebraLight SC52 :: Olight S15 Baton :: Xeno E03 V3
    Olight i3S EOS :: CQG S2 :: Energizer High Tech Keychain Light

  28. #58

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Hi guys, soon to be newb L10 owner here.

    Have a couple battery questions.

    On the topic of 14500 batteries, thinking AW, not sure which

    AWIMR14500

    AW14500P

    My understanding is the Black AW14500P is the better of the two but the button looks a bit more recessed on it compared to the Red/Orange AWIMR14500 ??

    I noticed some one posted earlier about having fitment problems while others did not. Any further opinion/suggestions on this?

    Also, i noticed a mention of the CR14505 CRAA battery earlier which seems kinda nifty too, (but flat looking button!) opinions on fitment of those?

    I'm just wondering what if anything i need to consider in re: modifying foam pad etc.

    Edit: Ordered an XTAR VP1 to go along with things.

    Seems like a great product, excited to get it.
    Last edited by ipig; 01-24-2014 at 04:43 PM.

  29. #59
    Flashaholic* Phaserburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    4,750

    Default L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO+

    Just received an L10 219 and like it very much. However, shortly after receiving it, it now only functions as a single mode (medium it seems). Any idea why or how to correct? I've tried different cells and cleaning the threads. I'm mystified.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

    Best Diffusion Film!

  30. #60

    Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

    Quote Originally Posted by ipig View Post
    My understanding is the Black AW14500P is the better of the two but the button looks a bit more recessed on it compared to the Red/Orange AWIMR14500 ??
    Also, i noticed a mention of the CR14505 CRAA battery earlier which seems kinda nifty too, (but flat looking button!) opinions on fitment of those?.
    The red AW are unprotected IMR cells, intended for high-drain devices. There are not required here, and you are always better off using protected ICR cells (i.e., the black ones). Although again, I do not recommend running the L10 on Hi on 14500.

    As for 14505 primaries, these didn't work on my samples (likely due to length and/or foam pad issues). But it may work without the foam.


    Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn View Post
    Just received an L10 219 and like it very much. However, shortly after receiving it, it now only functions as a single mode (medium it seems). Any idea why or how to correct? I've tried different cells and cleaning the threads. I'm mystified.
    Hmmm, sounds like a circuit issue. You may want to see about RMAing.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •