Sky Lumen        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO+

Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

The red AW IMR cells excel in high drain applications and do fine under normal loads. They do not have over discharge protection and you should be careful and check the voltage with a simple meter.

White Nichia 219 running on an Eneloop, i3s AAA (for size comprison) and orange XP-G2 running on an AW 14500 IMR (GITD o-ring is on the body and not the seam.)

Last edited by yoyoman; 01-28-2014 at 05:09 AM.

Default Re: L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO

Got my Natural 4 mode XPG2R5 L10 today and I'm really pleased with the overall quality.

The clip falls short of its $2.50 add-on price though :/

Not sure if i'm going to glue it on or what yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ipig View Post
    The clip falls short of its $2.50 add-on price though :/

Not sure if i'm going to glue it on or what yet.
    Yeah that's the only thing really keeping me from EDC'ing this thing full time. I know I can rig something up, but it will look like crap (epoxy, weld, whatever). I don't care to do that.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I know I can rig something up, but it will look like crap (epoxy, weld, whatever). I don't care to do that.
    I have a design that I want to get 3D printed. Basically it makes use of the lanyard hole at the back, but still designing a way to secure it in the hole

I would say the clip securing to the L10 is just as important as the strength/retention of the clip itself.

This clip really fails on both fronts.

I'm not sure about +/-permanently attaching this clip to the L10, as its flimsiness is a real issue.

If anyone has a recommendation (from another flashlight) of some sort i'd like to know.
    XPG2R5 L3 Illumination L10, Coast HP4, "Fordex" 300lm x2, VP1, AW 14500's

I just got my orange 4-mode, XP-G2 with pocket clip today, although I have't put the clip, or split ring, on yet.

I've got a Xeno E03 XM-L T5 neutral, Icon Rogue 1 Q5 and a Shining Beam I-Mini XP-G R5 with 1xAA extender (also have the 2xAA,) so those are my only single AA lights.

Couple of quick thoughts as I was running out to the Miami Heat/OKC Thunder game when the light arrived:

I thought that the 'head gap' might disappear with certain AA batteries, but it's there on a CVS, a GP ReCyKo, an AccuPower 2900, a Duracell, an Energizer and a Gen. 2 Eneloop.

It's a big gap and the thread timing could have been a lot more precise, but that's an aesthetics' nit.

I'm getting etching in my button tops and negative base plates, so backing things off going forward, will help minimize said etching.

My unprotected Sanyo 840mAh cell doesn't make contact due to it being a shallow flattop. This cell doesn't work in my Rogue 1, or I-Mini, either without a spacer of some sort.

Threads were a little dirty out of the box, but I lubed them up with a dab of Nyogel 760G and went on my merry way. When I got home from the game, I actually cleaned the threads and reapplied the lube.

Empty light has little mass and reminds me of my new Olight i3s--light as a feather.

I love the spread, much like the i3s, the moonlight mode, and low mode can be very useful and heck, on HI, the light throws well for its size. I had it outside walking to and from the arena in darkened areas, even shining it off of a patio and 60' away was illuminated, even with light pollution from the arena, it cut though the warm tint and lit up the cement below.

I might get an O-ring, something like a GITD doohickey and place it in (over) the gap and see if I can't bumper the head against the body and eliminate the brass showing via the gap.

It bugs me...what can I say?

I'm not hard on my pocket clips, so I don't expect this one to give me any problems, but I don't want to scratch the light up putting it on and I might soap it up a bit before pressing it in place.

As best that I can tell, my XP-G2 is centered within the OP reflector, so I'm good there and that's not a problem after reading this thread.

All in all, for <$28, it's a very nice light and if the head screwed down a bit more into the body, where that gap was minimized a tad more, I'd completely be a happy camper.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Enlightened

How's the flood on the L10 vs your XM-L E03? I'm about to get a couple of the E03's for my parents (hopefully retire the last of their incans or crappy 9 LED lights) and had just about settled on it because of the clicky, the GitD bits, and even the size (a little larger's actually better for around the house, for them, harder to lose!)... The L10 was my second choice though. Might go for one of each but I'm a little worried about them damaging some cells by overtightening.

I bet that Heat/Thunder game was amazing, the way the Durantula's playing lately... I'll have to remember not to check this thread before watching it (DVR'd!). :P
    Last edited by Impulses; 01-30-2014 at 01:30 AM.
    Sunwayman D40A :: ZebraLight SC52 :: Olight S15 Baton :: Xeno E03 V3
    Olight i3S EOS :: CQG S2 :: Energizer High Tech Keychain Light

I love my little Xeno E03. They're now selling an improved model, with more output and hidden SOS, strobe and beacon modes.

Mine is just the 3 mode older V3 version. I run it entirely on a naked Sanyo 840mAh and it pretty much screams on high, (~400LM for NW vs. 110LM using an AA) but then the low pretty much becomes a typical medium and the medium is just another high, lol.

The LD10 is substantially smaller than the E03. A good 3/4" shorter and probably 3/16" narrower. This also means that the E03 has a much larger reflector, so it should be a better thrower, even on an AA battery.

I'll take them out tonight and see what I see, as far as beam patterns go and report back.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

I have Xeno E03 with a Nichia 219. It is substantially bigger than the L10 and not just because of the clicky. It does throw more than the L10. But the beam is not as nice as the L10's beam. Some rings and artifacts. The L10 beam is very floody and useful. The L10 is a very good value light.

The only cell I've found that eliminates the gap is the AW IMR 14500. The L10 does not have low voltage warning or cut off and I check the voltage of the cell periodically or whenever I use the light for a long period.

Quote Originally Posted by ipig View Post
    I would say the clip securing to the L10 is just as important as the strength/retention of the clip itself.

This clip really fails on both fronts.

I'm not sure about +/-permanently attaching this clip to the L10, as its flimsiness is a real issue.

If anyone has a recommendation (from another flashlight) of some sort i'd like to know.
    I stated this on an earlier thread, but I used what is called a Glue Dot under the clip. It is a clear dot of stickiness and holds the clip in place very well.
    If you have ever received a new credit card, it's the same glue that holds your card to the paper in the envelope.
    It also has the advantage of being easily removable.

Enlightened

Magazines and perfume samples often have strips of that stuff, it's like those sticky elastic hand toys you may have played with as a child no? Wonder if anyone sells new slices that you can trim or resize for specific uses. I'm sure it's gotta have a name or some kinda glue classification... Is there a stickystuff or gluepower forum out there? :P Edit: Duh, you said it, Glue Dots.
    Last edited by Impulses; 01-30-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    Sunwayman D40A :: ZebraLight SC52 :: Olight S15 Baton :: Xeno E03 V3
    Olight i3S EOS :: CQG S2 :: Energizer High Tech Keychain Light

I just gave the brand name....."Glue Dots". Comes in different sticky strengths. Found at your local office supply or wally world.

The E03 is throwier. I have posted a pic somewhere and will try to find it:

here we go (from this thread, and tons of info on the E03)

Last edited by markr6; 01-30-2014 at 06:19 AM.
    GOOD TINT!

Just want to give a heads up for those who intend on purchasing this whether its for personal use or for gifting from SBFlashlights.
    I recently purchased two L10s, one 4 mode nichia and one 3 mode xpg2. The nichia was awesome and was nicely centred. However, the xpg2 is faulty, when you unscrew to drop in a AA battery, it unscrews to show a emitter instead.

Thankfully for my case I had great service from SBFlashlights and they were willing to do a one for one exchange!
    So please remember to request for your light to be thoroughly checked when you are purchasing your new light, in order to prevent having the unnecessary hassle of having to ship it back to get it replaced!
    Last edited by mcorp; 02-04-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Spaced out the pic

Enlightened

totes buying one of these! ANDDD the l10C with the CLICKY! thanks selfbuilt!

totes

/tōts/

adverb informal

adverb: totes;

• totally
      "It's summer so it's light all the time plus the scenery is totes amazing."

Origin:

early 21st century: alteration of totally

Quote Originally Posted by liquidrazer View Post
    totes buying one of these! ANDDD the l10C with the CLICKY! thanks selfbuilt!
    I just bought an L10 Natural XPG2 3-mode last week.
    After receiving it I bought an L10C Natural Nichia 3-mode.

There is a small discount code you can use.
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...bpages-dealers

Just got in a 4-mode natural with a nichia. Is it normal for these to not work so well with drained alkalines? i.e., as a "vamprire flashlight"?

The Zebralight SC51 and 52, and Quark minis, will all come on and can pull 40-200mA off the cell depending on mode. The L10, at first, would come on but only after a few seconds delay. Now, with the battery well below 0.7V under load, it won't turn on at all.

I bought a Fenix E05 for my 7-years-old daughter, but she complains that the head is just too stiff and does not rotate easily. She sometimes asks me to turn the light on and off. Will this light be nicer to her little fingers?
    Last edited by Tapis; 10-05-2014 at 01:34 PM.

The L10 I just got is pretty tight. I don't have little fingers and still wish it was a bit easier to twist. Maybe the L10C clicky?

The loosest 1xAA (or 2xAA) twisty I know of is the Quark Mini AA. I have three (cool, CRI, warm) and all are very easy one-hand operation. I've also used The Fenix LD01 and L0D 1xAAA lights which were extremely easy to turn and never came on accidentally. Sad to hear the E05 isn't as nice.

Great! Thanks radellaf, I didn't know there is a clicky version of the L10. This light has a perfect 4 modes levels for me. However, it's not available in the places I usually shop, Illumin and Going Gear, and Sbflashlights doesn't have the Thrunite T10 or Olight SR15 lights I want to purchase as well to combine shipment. Any idea where I could get these lights? eBay has no L10C. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Tapis; 10-06-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapis View Post
    I bought a Fenix E05 for my 7-years-old daughter, but she complains that the head is just too stiff and does not rotate easily. She sometimes asks me to turn the light on and off. Will this light be nicer to her little fingers?
    If you apply a dab of silicone lube to the threads of the E05, it'll be as smooth as butter and probably a lot easier for your daughter to use.
    "We canít just go with MBAV because itís out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Tapis View Post
    I also find the E05 scratchy, tight and hard to operate with one hand. I miss high mode a lot. Horrible tint anyway so it sits on my shelf. I really like the L10, especially after cleaning and a little Superlube. The Olight i3s, which I no longer have, was the easiest of all. I couldn't imagine a AAA light being any better in terms of operation with one hand.
    GOOD TINT!

Heard from illumination supply that they won't be stocking the L10C because of reliability issues.
    its a good little light, but shame about hearing this.
    Malkoff Devices MD2 M61T, JetE17A Red AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    Heard from illumination supply that they won't be stocking the L10C because of reliability issues.
    its a good little light, but shame about hearing this.
    That's interesting. I ended up selling mine recently. Quality seemed great, slim, good clip, but I just didn't like cycling thru with the clicky. I never thought I would prefer the twist head on the L10, but I do.
    GOOD TINT!

Another selfbuilt review that lead to a purchase. .. .. I got the natural. I like the twist UI, and the .09 moonlight is useful to me, walking through a couple almost pitch black rooms in the morning. Nice flood beam too. If it had the Preon A0 mule non-reflector, it'd be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by mcorp View Post
    Just want to give a heads up for those who intend on purchasing this whether its for personal use or for gifting from SBFlashlights.
    I recently purchased two L10s, one 4 mode nichia and one 3 mode xpg2. The nichia was awesome and was nicely centred. However, the xpg2 is faulty, when you unscrew to drop in a AA battery, it unscrews to show a emitter instead.

Thankfully for my case I had great service from SBFlashlights and they were willing to do a one for one exchange!
    So please remember to request for your light to be thoroughly checked when you are purchasing your new light, in order to prevent having the unnecessary hassle of having to ship it back to get it replaced!
    An L10 mule! Too bad about the return as I'd love to see some beamshots. ....

Well that'll be impossible since unscrewing the head to access the battery compartment lead to this.

Perhaps a special L10 mule run in 219 can be made?
    The Lite Review (click for my Review website!)

Quote Originally Posted by doctordun View Post
    Selfbuilt, would you have an estimate of runtime of the Nichia 219 medium 30 lumen level with and eneloop 2000?
    Short of running a test, is there a formula for something like this.
    Thanks.

Performed my own runtime test today,
    using Energizer L91 Ultimate Lithium AA cell
    (mfg. 7/2014) (expires 12/2034)

Nichia 219 on Medium mode (30 Lumens)
    lasted 14.5 Hours in perfect regulation.

By 15 Hours, had dropped by 4.7 f/stops
    (measured on my Sekonic DC308 meter)
    This means output is now at 0.04%,
    or 1/25th of original output of 30 Lumens.

By 18 Hours, had dropped 6 additional
    f/stops. Thus, 1/64th of the 15 Hr. reading.

By my humble calculations, that means
    an output of about 0.018 Lumens.

That's approx. 1/3 of Firefly mode !

Pretty Damn DIM by this point,
    but not *TOTALLY* useless.

Must say --
    I certainly DO like this light.

Wish all those lovely Colors were still available !

If they made this out of ti...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast