Experts Worried After Worm Hits Windows-Based ATMs

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
ATM's with Windows NT hit by worm.
[ QUOTE ]
To help prevent future problems Diebold is shipping ATMs with firewall software designed to block out viruses and other attacks, he said.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But a Diebold spokeswoman said the company's voting machines are not used on a network, so "that is currently not an issue."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I feel better now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

-Bill

(for better or worse, posted from a WinXP Home PC)

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get used to it, it's only going to get more interesting.

The only good thing is that with all the problems they are going to have (firewall or no firewall) they are going to have to increase the number of support folks available on the phone, so at least you'll be able to call someone who will a: know that the machines are prone to problems (the less tactful of us might use more interesting language to describe them) and that no matter how outlandish your problem may sound, it's probably real...

The first question they ask you is still going to be "What version of IE are you running?" though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guess it's back under my mattress for the family fortune...

edit: because I'm tired and can't type today...

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about anyone else, but I have encountered ATM's showing the BSOD a couple of times, most commonly the one on the wall of the booking office of Aberdeen train station if anyone knows it!

Had to laugh at that.

Also seen the windows error box a couple of times on the same machine, when it had still died, but not actually got as far as the BSOD.

Windoze based ATM's.....Very Bad Idea...IMHO. Why on earth does an ATM need to have an OS like that anyway? They've worked perfectly fine for the last 20 years without Windows! Heck, most of the ones around here are old enough to have seen Windows first release, still do their job just fine though.