Turboflare an LED flare replacement

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
When I saw this at Sam's I had to get a pair because it was close to a design idea I had. The Turboflare 360 is a 20 LED unit with the LEDs arranged in a circle and lit sequentially. Each runs on 4 AAs and draws about 76ma from fresh cells. There is a small yellow LED that is supposed to warn that the batteries are down to 20%. This is not a recommendation, just info. $25 a pair. A short flash movie is on the main page.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
Cool... are they built well? Thanks

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough to answer. They have a lifetime warranty (life of the company!). Web site say they can be run over. Maybe. Package says weatherproof. O-ring on lens and each of the bolts that hold it on. Gaskets on switch and battery door. I can't tell for sure what material the CD sized PCB is made of. All parts except the LEDs and battery contacts are surface mount.(two ICs, 11 transistors, assorted other parts) Battery door and the switch on it appear to be the weakest points.

George

TheFire

Enlightened
Lifetime warranty is a great thing. We should get some out to Craig, so he can run over them with his wheelchair, dunk them in his toilet, etc. If they didn't break, it would be great, and if they did, well, we'd get to find out about that warranty... they look neat... I'd like some, but haven't seen them in stores out here (not that I go shopping much).

TheFire

Enlightened
Lifetime warranty is a great thing. We should get some out to Craig, so he can run over them with his wheelchair, dunk them in his toilet, etc. If they didn't break, it would be great, and if they did, well, we'd get to find out about that warranty... they look neat... I'd like some, but haven't seen them in stores out here (not that I go shopping much).

Looks like a fun product.

Paul

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those look interesting. If I lived in a state where road flares are illegal I think I would give them a serious look. Are they $25 a pair or $25 each?

GregR

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Price was $25 for two. <font color="green">(This is both list and) wrong list for one!</font> The price I paid at Sam's Club. Flares are dangerous which is why they are banned in states the once required you to carry them. Cheap altenative (and a LED device) might be the bicycle tail lights ($3-$6) and/or those triangle reflectors that trucks are required to carry.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I asked because the web site leads you to believe they are $24.95 each.

GregR

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Double A

I think you are correct. The web site does imply $24.95 each. Sam's Club was $24.95 the pair!

George

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Just picked up a pair of these at Sam's! Appear to be well built. I figure the price I spend on LED torches & devices...that this would be worth checking out. I think it's one of those that are worth it!

Don't know if I'd put one outside my disabled vehicle, for fear of getting it stolen! Perhaps I'd put it on the dash? The LEDs are aimed at an upwards angle, so that of course the LED's focused beam would be at a more visible angle to oncoming traffic.

Their "rotating action" (semi conductor LED circuitry of course) remind me of the old red electro/mechanical strobes that were used on OLD emergency vehicles, or perhaps club lights, lights I used to have on a bar in my living room in my younger "crazier" days! Even if you don't use them in your vehicle, they make a nice addition to my LED "toolbox"! I paid $27 & change for 2 in Alaska.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, now I just have to have a pair. Wonder were I can get them in the San Francisco Bay Area?

GregR

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Dang, now I just have to have a pair. Wonder were I can get them in the San Francisco Bay Area?

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like the nearest Sam's Club is in Fresno. You need to find a member to score you a pair!

George

steve_vance

Enlightened
I have two....they are very well built...they are brighter at night than you would think....
Also, take a look at these web page

I have 4 of those in my car; I think they're a better sub for flares but the Turbo-Flare is good too

KEN TYE

Newly Enlightened
hey i just found them in a galls police supply catalog . they come in a road case . i also saw them in sams club as well . they are the same... you might look at galls.com for them

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
gwbaltzell-

Hey thanks for the info, my brother lives in Fresno!

GregR

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
Don't know if I'd put one outside my disabled vehicle, for fear of getting it stolen! Perhaps I'd put it on the dash? The LEDs are aimed at an upwards angle, so that of course the LED's focused beam would be at a more visible angle to oncoming traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Id be careful about using them on your dash. Could be mistaken for a vehicle warning light which Im assuming you dont have a permit to operate. Red showing on the front is a big no-no, they're a little more lenient about having it on the back tho. Dont take my word for it tho, check your local laws.

lightnix

Enlightened
Great looking unit and performance figures. Does anybody know where I can get a Turboflare 360 online ?