Question re: performance claims, 10000LM 12x CREE XM-L XML T6 LED Flashlight

acmurray

Newly Enlightened
Hi Caps, Sorry if this is in the wrong area but can I get some advice on this light:

http://www.fleabay.com/itm/Super-Br...7923485?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item27daffd39d

It seems too good to be true and if my previous dealings with Chinese traders is anything to go by the spec details may be exagerated or outright lies. I have a Skyray king (3xT6 led)which I am very happy with. Can anyone tell me if I am correct in assuming that this torch will be a drastic improvement over the king?
Many thanks for any help.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hello, :welcome:
I have renamed your thread title somewhat, reflecting your concerns about the light in question.
Good luck,
Kestrel

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to look at the problem from the other end. The upper limit on XM-L T6's is about 900 lumens, so with 12 you could get to 10,000lumens. That isn't the rub. The problem is when you calculate the energy required, it is around 120 watts. That creates a huge heat dissipation problem, and a huge battery problem. A set of IMR batteries that can deliver 120 watts for more than 20 minutes or so simply isn't going to easily fit in hand held flashlight. At best a single non-IMR 18650 can only deliver about 10 watts. So to get 1 hour runtime, you would need at least 12 3100mAh 18650 cells. This flashlight only uses 6 x 18650's, so the output is probably limited to about 6000 lumens, perhaps more with IMR cells, at the expense of run time.

Last edited: