Whats the R5 edition?

d2eux

Newly Enlightened
Ive seen various companies like 4sevens and fenix offering R5 versions of torches (the pd30 and quark mini Ml come to mind). . my question is what exactly does R5 mean? Is it better to get the R5 version of a light or just the regular version?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
R5 is the type of emitter or " bulb " the light has. Read the specifications for the light and see the difference. Some emitters make more light and some project light further.
R5 would make lees light go further than XML in the same light sometimes.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's Cree's code for the efficacy bin that the emitter falls into. Whichever emitter it is, ie XP-G2 etc, download the data sheet and you'll see that the emitters of that type are binned according to their efficacy, or lumens output at a given rated current input. These bins are then coded by Cree such as R3, R5, S2, T6, U2, etc.
The data sheet specific to that particular emitter will show you if the R5, for instance is near the top, middle, or bottom range of efficacy for that emitter, and tell you how many lumens output it translates to, at what tested current.
Edit: R5 =139 lumens output rated @350mA @85 degrees C; or 158 lumens @350mA @25 degrees C.
It has nothing to do with what type of "bulb" it is, it's simply the efficacy bin code.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...d Modules/XLamp/Data and Binning/XLampXPG.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's Cree's code for the efficacy bin that the emitter falls into. Whichever emitter it is, ie XP-G2 etc, download the data sheet and you'll see that the emitters of that type are binned according to their efficacy, or lumens output at a given rated current input. These bins are then coded by Cree such as R3, R5, S2, T6, U2, etc.
The data sheet specific to that particular emitter will show you if the R5, for instance is near the top, middle, or bottom range of efficacy for that emitter, and tell you how many lumens output it translates to, at what tested current.
Edit: R5 =139 lumens output rated @350mA.
It has nothing to do with what type of "bulb" it is, it's simply the efficacy bin code.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...d Modules/XLamp/Data and Binning/XLampXPG.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A much more accurate explanation. I was trying to keep it simple in my previous post.

d2eux is probably finding XPG R5 emitter versions for those lights.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive seen various companies like 4sevens and fenix offering R5 versions of torches (the pd30 and quark mini Ml come to mind). . my question is what exactly does R5 mean? Is it better to get the R5 version of a light or just the regular version?

IMHO, it means it's just old stock that they haven't sold out of yet... Get the latest XP-G2 emitter unless you're trying to save a couple of bucks.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go (XP... family):
9vpthzX.png

You can read the full PDF here:

and the XM... family flux ratings:
ctz5zOV.png

PDF found here:

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
where can i buy xp-g2 s3 20mm star emitter?

thank you in advance!

In a batch of LED's, there is a normal distribution curve of the various luminous flux outputs they get from the batch. So out of a batch (of cool White XP-G2 emitters, for instance) there may be many that end up in the R4 bin, less in the R5 bin, and very few in the S2 bin. They may not get any from a batch that end up being S3 rated. I don't think I've seen any. But if they are out there, they'd be very rare. They have to have enough bins to cover any potential efficacy ranges they might get from a batch, even at the upper and lower limits where they get very few, if any.
So I don't know anywhere to buy S3 XP-G2s. But maybe someone else does?...

m1ke

Newly Enlightened
In a batch of LED's, there is a normal distribution curve of the various luminous flux outputs they get from the batch.
How strange; I'm surprised they haven't managed to get uniform production. Shows what I know about making LEDs.