Blarg! Outbid on eBay in the last 10 MINUTES!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think this has to be one of the number one "AARRGGHHH....$*%($£*&!" moments. You've been following the auction all the way through, then someone gets there with 10 minutes to go. Oh well. *wanders back off to BST to see if anyone's selling a Reactor 3*

Can't really complain, as I'll no doubt do it myself eventually, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a little irritaiting when it happens!

Especially when there's not been another single bid in several days!

Okay, rant over... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's another one Here for $26.99 (£15.57)<font color="red"> Buy It Now </font> .

Shipping to the UK is listed at $10.99 (£6.29)

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, keeping my eye on that one, just waiting for a response from the seller, as I don't yet have a high enough feedback rating (just haven't bought enough stuff yet). Hopefully I'll be allowed to bid though. Just need to clear up a few details.

Just decided a couple of days ago that I was going to buy a Reactor...and I now refuse to admit defeat!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
10 minutes... HA! Wait till it happens to you with 10 seconds to go! And it will, don't worry!

Peter

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Zelandeth said:You've been following the auction all the way through, then someone gets there with 10 minutes to go. Especially when there's not been another single bid in several days!

[/ QUOTE ]You were "Sniped". I sometimes do that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and it has happened to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif also. Keep an eye out on the seller. They usually list the same item again later. Good luck to you. I hope you get a low price.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
it reminds of of the Earthlink commercial where the two dudes are bidding on jerseys.

they both click "Buy Now" @ the same time but the person with Earthlink wins the bid.. SOMETHING like that anyways.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
10 minutes... HA! Wait till it happens to you with 10 seconds to go! And it will, don't worry!
Peter

[/ QUOTE ]
Right on...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Most sniping engines offer free service with the 10 second option.

(1/2 second snipe-you definitely have to pay for...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Bottom line, if you want it bad enough, just decide the absolute maximum you are willing to pay, and then let ebay do proxy bidding on your behalf..-just like they always offer to do.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

stockwiz

Enlightened
I almost always snipe when the auction isn't a dutch auction. As long as ebay continues to have static endings to their auctions I'll continue to snipe. No use running up the price during the auction while showing others you have interest in the item.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I lost a used-up old computer and some Digimon episodes by getting sniped on them, but I've never been sniped on a flashlight before.

I usually sit on a listing during the last 15 minutes or so, just to watch for snipers. The only item in recent memory that I didn't sit on ended at something like 5 in the morning (it was an old computer if I remember right), and I won that by a single cent. The sniper that bid on it at the last second missed it by just a penny.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think sniping has become an art. I have a cable modem and I can reload a page every 3/4 of a second so long as eBay can keep up with it. The last 3 seconds are crucial if you REALLY want the item. I've gotten tired and lazy lately and take the shot at anywhere between 9 and 15 seconds and have lost 4 or 5 items.

What I want to know is, WHO KEEPS SNIPING MY TEKNA LIGHT AUCTIONS?! 76pathfinder and midwestrpe(at)aol.com, you are the bane of my eBay existence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wanted this in the worst way. If you look at the bids, you will see I got lazy and lost it. Oh well, live and learn.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the first six months or so I was on ebay, I got sniped frequently, losing at least half of the auctions I was bidding on. Ticked me off, but I always felt it was unethical not bidding on an item until the last minute. But you know what they say, "if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em". I got over my righteous indignation pretty quickly. Now I'll frequently bid on an auction early on, knowing I will get outbid, just to make my presence known, then I'll wait until the last minute or two and throw my bid in. Works about 90-95% of the time. It's an imperfect system (ebay), but I try to make the best of it.

-Keith

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
For once I got to be the jerk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just outbid someone by a few bucks. I'm tired of always being the looser--time to make someone else mad for a change /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

-Jason

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! Ten minutes?

I got sniped about a year ago. I was beat by $1 in the last 7 seconds.

But all you have to do is wait a while, just about anything you really want comes up about every 90 days.

GregR

Harrkev

Enlightened
It is simple

It is simple... whoever bids the most wins! If you would be willing to pay $10 for an item, but would NOT pay $10.50, then you bid $10. It is that simple. Then, you do not get "sniped."

There is one reason and one reason only for sniping. A person puts a low-ball bid in, and gets to be the top bidder. They WOULD be willing to bid higher, but why bother since they are the top bidder! This is the ONLY type of person who would fall for sniping.

If you bit $10 and are top dog, just ask yourself "would I pay $11 for this item?" If so, then bid $11. You are allowed to re-bid even if you are the top bidder.

If you dislike sniping, by putting in your top bid, you guarantee that if the sniper DOES get the item, that they are paying top dollar for it -- GET EVEN!

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: It is simple

Makes me laugh when I see something on Ebay that I was interested in go for much more than I could have got it for new down the street. That'll teach them to bid against me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jason