L5 + L6 = Redundant?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Does anybody own both the L5 and L6 [stupid question ... I'm sure somebody does]?

Other than size and physical appearance of the torch itself, is there a significant difference between the two? From what I've read the only advantage the L6 offers is extended runtime since it carries an extra battery.

Besides being a Flashaholic, is there any good reason to own both of these lights? Am I missing something?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Besides the obvious reason that each bezel was designed for a different host (KL5=6p, etc / KL6=M6,M3,M4, etc), I've read the L6 does throw a bit further than the L5. I haven't heard any reports concerning runtime. I've also heard that modding a KL6 is child's play compared to the KL5.

mporter

Newly Enlightened
I've got both. The L6 is brighter, whiter, and has better throw. If I remember correctly someone posted runtime figures of about 65 minutes on the L5 and110 minutes on the L6.

Search on "L6 runtime" for more detail.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
1hr - all are bright
65 minutes - L4 is out, L5,L6 still going
69 minutes - L4,L5 are out, L6 still 100%
90 minutes - L6 still 100%
95 minutes - L6 at 100%
110 minutes - L6 at 100%
115 minutes - L6 at 90%
120 minutes - L6 at 60-70%
125 minutes - L6 at 40-50%
130 minutes - L6 at 25%

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I guess my question is not clearly stated.

If you jump from the L4 to the L5 you seem to get a significantly different light. It clearly has much more throw than the L4 [and to me the L5 appears to be brighter overall ... despite what the specs say].

The jump from the L5 to the L6 clearly provides longer runtime as noted above, but is the beam change as dramatic as it is from the L4 to L5?

carmel

Newly Enlightened
FlashlightOCD -

I am the proud owner of the L4, L5, and L6. In my experience with the "naked eye" outside at night, the L5 and L6 are VERY close to each other in amount of light emitted, as well as in throw (PERHAPS my L6 seems to throw a bit longer). In testing their lux with a light meter (using the same partially run-down batteries in both), I got 1330 lux with the L5 and 1950 lux with the L6 (compared to 650 with the L4). That pretty much confirmed my "naked eye" evaluation, although I was surprised that the L6 had a 32% greater throw than the L5: it seemed closer.

My own conclusion is that, for its size, the L5 is an amazing light; had I to do it again, I would not have bought an L6, as it is so close in performance (except for runtime) to the L5. The L4 and L5 complement each other perfectly: the L4 for a powerful indoor and adequate outdoor light, the L5 for a slightly larger but powerful outdoor light with throw. Add an Arc LS to the mix for an EDC, an Arc AAA for keychain, and an M6 for macho power, and its flashlight heaven!

jaws

mporter

Newly Enlightened
All I can comment on is my experience with the examples of the L5 and L6 that I have. My L6 has a significantly brighter and whiter beam than my L5. Both the L5 and L6 have more focused beams than the L4, but the L6 has definitely better throw. All LEDs vary in bightness and color, so my examples might not be typical, but my L6 is a LOT brighter and VERY MUCH whiter. It's the whitest LED light I have seen so far.

I'm torn choosing between them all the time. The L5 (based on the M2) is small, compact, and beautiful. It looks like a cool tactical flashlight. It will fit, even if just for a short time, in a pants pocket. The L6 (based on the M3) looks like a WWI German hand grenade and is longer than an M6. It's not very pocketable. But it is brighter. And you get 110 minutes on a set of three batteries. On the L5 you get 65 minutes on 2 batteries, so the L6 is more efficient with regard to battery usage.

I bought both intending to try them both and sell one later. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the L5 because it's more compact. But, as time goes on and my photon addiction gets worse, I'll probably end up keeping both.

BTW, regarding specs, I don't think Surefire has released official specs on the L5 and L6 yet. Have you seen them somewhere?

[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
I guess my question is not clearly stated.

If you jump from the L4 to the L5 you seem to get a significantly different light. It clearly has much more throw than the L4 [and to me the L5 appears to be brighter overall ... despite what the specs say].

The jump from the L5 to the L6 clearly provides longer runtime as noted above, but is the beam change as dramatic as it is from the L4 to L5?

[/ QUOTE ]

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mporter said:BTW, regarding specs, I don't think Surefire has released official specs on the L5 and L6 yet. Have you seen them somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

The specs I'm refering to was a Japanese Website that listed both the L5 and L6 as 65 Lumen [exactly the same as the L4]. The information may not be correct. My eyeball test says that the L5 is producing more photons than the L4, but it is hard to tell for sure since the beam patterns are so different.

carmel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mporter said:
All I can comment on is my experience with the examples of the L5 and L6 that I have. My L6 has a significantly brighter and whiter beam than my L5. Both the L5 and L6 have more focused beams than the L4, but the L6 has definitely better throw. All LEDs vary in bightness and color, so my examples might not be typical, but my L6 is a LOT brighter and VERY MUCH whiter. It's the whitest LED light I have seen so far.

mporter is of course correct: LED's vary in brightness and whiteness (the Luxeon Lottery). My L5 is definitely whiter than my L6. I think I got an extraordinarily good L5, and an average or below average L6, so the L6 doesn't appear to have that much more throw or light.

Incidentally, I also tested my E2e (w/MN03) at the same time as the L4/L5/L6: I got a lux reading of 2260, so there's still a lot to be said for incandescants with regard to size/throw.

jaws