What are the three most important things you've learned on CPF?

mbw_151

Enlightened
I've been a CPF member for a while. The other day I was thinking about lights and got to wondering about all the important things I've learned from CPF. So I'm asking you to suggest three. Mine are:

1. Always carry a light on your person even if it's just a coin cell light like a Photon.
2. Energizer E2 Lithium cells are the cure for alkaline cell leaks.
3. Surefire hosts with Malkoff drop-ins are a serious addiction.

So what have you got?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
1. Use google search at the top of every CPF page for CPF searching.
2. Led lighting is not the only way to go. Some times incandescent lighting it better.
3, Look for good deals for good flashlights after diligent research.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Beam pattern & tint is more important than lumens
2) Malkoff taught me that the simplest design can be the best
3) Expensive doesn't always means good & cheap doesn't always mean bad. Though for most cases, good stuff are generally expensive. :D

- JonK

ven

Flashaholic
1-Safety with 18650 batteries,prtected/unprotected cells which is very important so thank you.
2-Makes/models of awesome flashlights i had not heard of .Lot more brands than just lensers and maglites out there.
3-If i need the best advice and info then the main place to go;)

fire-stick

Enlightened
Ergonomics (spelling?), or how a flashlight feels in your hand is way more important that I first thought.
Learning/thinking/talking about my hobby (flashlights in this case) is just as important as buying one.
The specs on a light are important lumens/lux/runtime/ but if you don't carry it with you and the lights go out you're out of luck:broke:!

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Brighter isn't always better.
2. Run times are just as important.
3. Never trust the marketing; look for first hand reviews.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Increasing lumens is a classic example of the laws of diminishing returns (perceived brightness vs battery consumption).

The lowest mode, and low mode spacing, are what defines my favorite lights along with beam profile.

ANSI standardization didn't seem to do much. There are still conservative and exaggerating manufacturers, and the rules are wide enough to drive a truck through. Learn how to measure your own lights.

(I gotta admit... mine are pretty close to TMedina ^^)

Last edited:

mko1024

Newly Enlightened
It takes a very large increase in lumens to be noticeable to the eye.

Warm tint LEDs are very nice. (I never paid attention to this before...)

Poppy

Flashaholic
1. LiIon 18650 batteries exist (and lights that use them)
2. eneloop/Duraloop batteries exist (and are so much better than other NiMH rechargeables)
3. tail-standing a flashlight @ 100 lumens can be as good, or better, than many lanterns during a power outage. see power outage thread for a discussion

Last edited:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Flashlight collecting is actually a serious hobby. Like some people collect stamps, comic books, toy cars, etc.
2. Lithium batteries can be outright dangerous (especially rechargeables), :poof: even if you're doing nothing special or abusive with them.
3. Highest end flashlights aren't factory made, but more likely one-off / custom designs.

Increasing lumens is a classic example of the laws of diminishing returns (perceived brightness vs battery consumption).
That's diminishing returns of usefulness vs. power consumption. In the case of rechargeables, battery consumption is less of an issue. But that doesn't make it less of a bother to require a battery swap every half hour. And indeed, runtime is just as useful as lumens output.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. There are no best lights - the value of a light is entirely dependent on the owner's use and preferences. There are enough choices to keep virtually everyone happy. Just because you find a light useful, doesn't mean it is good for someone else (and vice versa). Although you can highlight the advantages of a light you have, you shouldn't criticize someone else's purchase. You don't ever know everything that went into the decision.

2. When you start carrying a light all the time, you find more uses for it than you would have thought possible. Other people often want to borrow your lights, even if they think you are crazy for having so many (or spending so much).

3. There are places on the Internet which are NOT full of spammers and trolls. Thanks to the moderators!

BillSWPA

Enlightened
1) Safety issues with lithium cells, both primary (which I have used in blissful ignorance for many years) and rechargeable (which I do not yet use in flashlights but used in my cell phone in blissful ignorance for many years).

2) The value of low self discharge NiMH cells in general and Eneloops in particular. I am transitioning away from alkaleaks in both my home and office. Currently all critical AA and AAA powered stuff in my office runs on Eneloops.

3) Which flashlights to buy, and which to avoid, based on the experiences of others. This forum could in some ways be considered a crowd-sourced Consumer Reports for lighting.

4) (Yes, I know the original post said 3, but I had a tough time narrowing it down) The current state of affairs for LED fixed lighting. I have young children, so the risk of breaking a CFL and exposing my family to mercury is unacceptable to me. So, as my supply of incandescent bulbs dwindles, I need to know how to best transition to LED.

eff

Enlightened
Top 3 of the things I learned here :

1°) Always carry a light with you. You never know when you might need it, and a light you don't have with you when you need it, is useless.
2°) How to properly use lithium cells. I had no idea of the safety rules that came with the lithium cells usage, before coming to this forum.
3°) People can get addicted to flashlights :D

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Importance of a good EDC: The big bright thrower lights are fun, but it is the smaller, more versatile lights that you will have on you 99% of the time.

2. Don't try to keep up with the Joneses: figure out what you "need", and research/buy accordingly. Don't buy a light just because it is the latest and greatest. You'll end up with a bunch of lights you rarely use.

3. Buy once, cry once: I would have actually spent less money if I'd just bought what I really wanted up front, instead of toying with inferior products that I thought would "work", only to be disappointed and lose money on the resale.

Last edited:

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
1. If its from walmart it's probably not that great.
2. Surefire is like the best thing since deleted - Norm.
3. I need a bigger bank account.

Last edited by a moderator:

ganymede

Enlightened
1. Lumen is not everything.
2. When it comes to tint, every pairs of eye see it with a slight difference.
3. 2 = 1 and 1 = 0 (My math teacher is going to hate me on this) :eek:

resdn

Newly Enlightened
1 Size matters since you seldom have the super big light with you when you suddenly need a light
2 Durability is nice, but you'll probably replace it with something newer and better before it breaks anyhow.
3 18650's are the best, but nothing else I'd camp with uses them

I agree with this site being like a consumer reports place to research, oh, and I wish I knew about all the dealer promo codes on here a few months ago lol

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
1. Lumen is not everything.
2. When it comes to tint, every pairs of eye see it with a slight difference.
3. 2 = 1 and 1 = 0 (My math teacher is going to hate me on this) :eek:

LOL at #3...1 = 0 when you differentiate it, right? :p However, by association, that would mean 2 also = 0. That means:

Things i learned:
1. No matter how many lights you buy, you will always be craving that 'one more'. 3=0. Lemniscate=0. Go home, math, you're drunk.
2. No matter how many lights you can carry, there will always be another light that can do something the other cannot.
3. Flashlights have their own manipulative will...parasitic, almost. I can spend an entire night outside with flashlights lighting up random things just to see how well it does and sometimes forget to eat.