Zebralight H502d beam too wide if camping with others?

KQL

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I am intrigued by the Zebralight UI and would like to add one to my collection. The H502d headlamp caught my eye, would be great to have a high CRI lamp for campsite chores and cooking. But, I am concerned that the beam may be too wide.

I almost always camp with friends and when wearing my current headlamp, I am always careful to keep my light out of their eyes. I do this by watching the boundary of the spill and making sure it doesn't venture too close to their faces.

But with the 120deg H502d beam, I am concerned that I will be shining light in everyone's eyes as I go about my chores. From looking at the photos, the reflector appears symmetrical in all direction, which means I'll be shining light up, down, left and right. I can see how this would be a great headlamp if you're working under the car or camping alone, but in a campsite with 3 other people, is it a liability?

I realize it's not too expensive, but budget is kinda tight right now so I'd rather learn as much as I can before buying it.

Thanks for any input.

Enlightened
It's too wide and the beam will get into the eyes of those nearby.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I'm afraid 18650 is right, it will bother everyone. You might prefer the H52 (or H51, now discounted by at least one seller I know of). Although the spill is 80 degrees, the spill brightness is more modest and most of the output goes into the center hotspot.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well although it WILL shine in others' eyes, since it's not directed AT ALL because there's no reflector, it's really not an issue. I used my H602W camping and although it casted lights on my camp mates' faces, it didn't bother them. Around camp I only had it on like MAYBE 100ish lumens and 100 lumens with no reflector isn't enough to bother someone. I wouldn't worry too much about, the X02 lights are freaking sweet and worth it. I wouldn't trade mine for ANYTHING.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I am intrigued by the Zebralight UI and would like to add one to my collection. The H502d headlamp caught my eye, would be great to have a high CRI lamp for campsite chores and cooking. But, I am concerned that the beam may be too wide.

I almost always camp with friends and when wearing my current headlamp, I am always careful to keep my light out of their eyes. I do this by watching the boundary of the spill and making sure it doesn't venture too close to their faces.

But with the 120deg H502d beam, I am concerned that I will be shining light in everyone's eyes as I go about my chores. From looking at the photos, the reflector appears symmetrical in all direction, which means I'll be shining light up, down, left and right. I can see how this would be a great headlamp if you're working under the car or camping alone, but in a campsite with 3 other people, is it a liability?

I realize it's not too expensive, but budget is kinda tight right now so I'd rather learn as much as I can before buying it.

Thanks for any input.

You won't bother anyone if you use it like this. When the light is used as a necklamp, the beam is below your eyes and therefore below the eyes of those next to you.
H51wvsH52w13_zpscb36a1ad.jpg

Last edited:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't bother anyone if you use it like this. When the light is used as a necklamp, the beam is below your eyes and therefore below the eyes of those next to you.
H51wvsH52w13_zpscb36a1ad.jpg

That's a clever idea! I quite like it, that way it could be used at higher levels without disturbing anyone.

Quick question, does it not swing about wildly as you move around? It seems like it could use some further stabilization.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For further stabilization clip it to your shirt or hoodie ;)

if people are going to be in your beam, turn your light level down (you have 6 modes to choose from) an all flood beam doesn't hurt the eyes like a focused beam but it'll still be noticeable. If you drop below 20 lumens while others are in your beam it won't be hard on their eyes

KQL

Newly Enlightened
That is an excellent idea about making it into a neck-lamp. When I saw the first few responses, I was going to hold off and wait for th rumored sc62d handheld light, but who knows when that might actually materialize. Now, with the neck mounted option, I think I'll pick up the h502d after all.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a clever idea! I quite like it, that way it could be used at higher levels without disturbing anyone.

Quick question, does it not swing about wildly as you move around? It seems like it could use some further stabilization.

Actually, because the light is closer to the ground or whatever you are doing with you hands, you are less likely to need higher levels of brightness.

It's stable enough if you walk, stand, or sit upright. You just won't be able to do pushup, or jog. For 99% of what I do around the house, I don't need to stabilize it further.

For those rare occasions that it needs to be more stable, I attach magnets to the clip to keep the light more stable. The magnets goes behind the shirt, as illustrated here.
H51wvsH52w15_zpsbf7caa34.jpg

H51wvsH52w14_zps9700356b.jpg

The pictures above also illustrate that Zebralight H headlamps can be used as utility, tent lights, etc. Attach it to a curtain, tent, wall, toolbox, etc. and you have a hand-free light for those times you don't want to wear a headlamp. And speaking of which, if you want to run/jog, headlamp is the most stable option.

Last edited: