Armytek Predator V2.5

wjv

Enlightened
My Armytek Predator V2.5, regular, not Pro arrived today.

Initial impression are

Good anodizing
Bright

Dislikes:
The rubber anti-roll nut was removed ASAP. Just didn't feel right in my hand
Med -> Low -> Very Low mode sequence instead of Very Low -> Low -> Med

Has a memory, but when you turn it on, it goes to the NEXT mode in the sequence instead of the mode you turned it off in. CORRECTION: After 5 seconds or so, it resets to medium (200 lumen) mode.

I was looking for an upgrade to my TK15 (337 lumen) and was considering the TK22 or the SRT6. Now that I tried my Predator, I'm glad I didn't go that route!

On full the Predator looks to be at least twice as bright as the TK15 which means it really is putting a lot more than 2x lux onto the target. I tried both side by side, aiming at a church that is 225 meters from my front door (thank you Google earth). The church is painted a light beige.

The TK15 does illuminate the church a enough that I could tell if some one was standing there. But I wouldn't be able to tell if it was Daisy Duke or Nancy Pelosi! :D Using the Predator I would be able to tell the difference between the two. . And maybe even tell you what color blouse Daisy was wearing!

As a EDC I wouldn't like the Predator. The UI (med->low) and not returning to the last mode when turned on would be a deal breaker for me. But like the TK15, the Predator was not intended as my EDC. I bought it for those few times when I really want to illuminate something a couple hundred meters away. I did try the Predator at 375 yards, but at that point all I got was the reflection off of some street signs.

While by all accounts the TK22 and the SRT6 are nice lights, I think I would have been disappointed in the throw when compared to my TK15. The difference in throw would have been almost visually indistinguishable. One thing that this did tell me is that for an older light, the XP-G R5 TK15 is still a darn good thrower!

Based on my unscientific test, I'd say that in practical usage the TK15 is maxed at 200 meters, and the Predator would max at 275-300 meters. Probably closer to 300. Hopefully when it warms up outside I can try some better tests, using targets at 50 meter increments and really run both lights out to their max.

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the Predator 2.5 as well (Pro though). You're right about the throw of the Predator, I don't know if there are any lights in the 1 x 18650 that can topple it yet (not counting custom).

tubed

Enlightened
i was just about to buy this light (still might)
but that UI - no mode memory thing kills me. Such a simple thing to do.
I just can't seem to find a single 18650 thrower with a good UI.
I'm going nuts

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy the Predator 2.5 Pro. Both lines are setup exactly how you like. You pick number of modes, brightness of each mode, regulation type, mode memory or not. You really get what you like.

wjv

Enlightened
Buy the Predator 2.5 Pro. Both lines are setup exactly how you like. You pick number of modes, brightness of each mode, regulation type, mode memory or not. You really get what you like.

And you only need a PhD in Computer Science to learn how to program it! :laughing:

Actually Tim Higgins has some good videos on youtube that show how to program the PRO.

I would have bought the PRO if I had planned on using this as an EDC. But mostly it will be used for special circumstances and I'll probably will only use the 200 & 670 lumen modes. So I can live with the UI. I got mine for ~$52, and the PRO would have been ~$25-$30 more. I figured the regular model would do what I wanted out of the box. And it does!

I do agree that they could have added memory for about $0.05 more in unit cost. Too bad they didn't.

Coherent Light

Newly Enlightened

I have the Viking Pro - love the light for the programming flexibility. No question this is the only way to go. At first it is indeed confusing to program. Looked at all of the helps and videos. Found that if I made my own cheat sheet it was easier to get my head around the programming structure. Below is the template I made.

I created the .pdf with the filled out parameters I have used and a blank one you can print and fill out. I find I need to keep track where I am in the programming steps - less confusing. This light stays next to my bed. I also have a 40mm diffuser on it for indoor use.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d4ueucd4vjekf8k/2bKRDCKxlV/ArmyTek Program.pdf

ArmyTek%20Program_1.png

Here is a .pdf with edited and formatted instructions from the vendor's instructions for the "pro" line.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppxbsqtvn50r7z5/ArmyTek Predator_Viking Pro Program.pdf

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have it in warm tint. Very nice. Despite this version has so called Constant brightness feature, the fabric setting is on STEP. I find the advanced manual(not included in the package) and am working on how to understand it. I have tried it today and succeed to make a change, but not what I wanted. I now have only one brightness as line 1.
I will try more but think this can take some time. Without any screen which can confirm what I am doing this is pretty difficult...
The best is if it had been possible to choose a specific setting at the time of ordering the light.

Last edited:

spc smith

Enlightened
i was just about to buy this light (still might)
but that UI - no mode memory thing kills me. Such a simple thing to do.
I just can't seem to find a single 18650 thrower with a good UI.
I'm going nuts

Yeah I was big on that too.. until I got the pro in my hand actually real world experience used it. This light will blow your socks off for a 1x18650 compact classed led light.

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
I have a warm Predator 2.5 and the tint is almost if not exactly identical to a Nichia 219. That's some good stuff!

spc smith

Enlightened
Well that pretty much tops the cherry. Nichia 219 tint? I'm really glad I got the 640 warm light version then. Its really got ALL THE PERIPHERAL LIGHTING AND THROW I need in a light period.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the focus on all you'alls Predator's? My v.2 pro beam looks as if you're looking at a target (may be an light orange peal reflector would tone the rings down some). Other then that it does throw well.

Up All Night

Enlightened
How is the focus on all you'alls Predator's? My v.2 pro beam looks as if you're looking at a target (may be an light orange peal reflector would tone the rings down some). Other then that it does throw well.

Actually the beam has three distinct components, hot spot, corona and spill. Each component is abrupt and not smoothly transitioned. Your description of a target would be quite apt. Other than that, I see no rings or artifacts and the transitions are a moot point unless you're wall hunting. Fantastic torch!
Check out Selfbuilt's Predator/Predator Pro review, the included video displays the beam profile vs. the Viking.

Props to Selfbuilt!! :bow::bow:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ Thanks ^^^ ..... I bet if they'd have a slight orange peal reflector a customer could buy as an accessory (similar to what 4/7's has for the G5). That would smooth out the abruptness of the beam's transitions.

BTW, I'm kind'ah past the stage of wall hunting for quite awhile now. I gauge a lights performance in the field. However, you can, or I should say I can see it clearly while using the light while walking Calvin out in the desert. So much so, that I swapped it out, and carried my Wayne emitter swapped XP-G2 Fury.

Anyways, I'm holding on to this light to see how well it'll work when, or if we end up with the contract located in a city with a lot of fog (mild to dense) since the hot spot is on the narrow side. But well see how much glare the spill produces in this situation.

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
a lop reflector was an option with previous generations of predator but armytek informed me they don't have lop reflectors for it any longer. i listed a wtb in the market place although i'm not sure it would fit as different generations have slight differences.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
a lop reflector was an option with previous generations of predator but armytek informed me they don't have lop reflectors for it any longer. i listed a wtb in the market place although i'm not sure it would fit as different generations have slight differences.

Thanks! If you acquire one, please let us know if it fits, and if it does, how it performs.