flashlight app spying on you

Norman

Newly Enlightened
Also carried on BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25258621

GoldenShores Technologies took ID and location data from the millions using its Brightest Flashlight app.

The developer shared the data with ad networks but did not tell users about this practice, an FTC statement said.

To settle the charges, GoldenShores has agreed to give users more control over what happens to their data.

In its statement, the FTC criticised GoldenShores for its poor privacy policy, which did not let people know that the app was logging their precise location and a unique identifier for their phone and was then sharing that information with advertisers.

Although the free app offered people an opt-out clause, the FTC said this was "meaningless" because data from all users of the Brightest Flashlight app was shared whether they agreed or not. [...]

Taschenlampe Dude

Newly Enlightened
The ever-increasing secrecy surrounding actions taken by governmental agencies charged with looking out for the interests of the public is of great concern. That the FTC should arrive at an agreement with a company accused of willfully violating regulations and yet not share the exact terms of that agreement with the public is at best ironic given that the issue at hand involves privacy.

It would appear that the FTC subscribes to a rather Orwellian notion of equality wherein we're all equal; some are just more equal than others.

Its like the attitude is almost "well, everyone else is doing it" wink wink nudge nudge. I guess we are all supposed to just be OK with corporate and government spying! Although I just got an iphone from work, and I know that it and my usage is being tracked. It can also be remote wiped but not by me :(

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't anybody noticed if they left javascriot turned on. After browsing CPF for a while your previous page button does not work properly. If you press and hold on the button to see what pages you have visited you will see half a dozen or more 'facebook cross domain' added. Facebook is tracking everything you do on CPF and every web site with a 'like' button.

Sales sites always collect your ip address when you buy stuff online to ID scammers and protect themselves. Lately no matter where I go I keep seeing ads from DX and Battery Junction. Sears Canada too. Online retailers are targeting (and ANNOYING) their loyal customers.
Handing out lists of their customers may not help in the long run. In addition to pissing off their customers, I wonder how long before the advertisers start selling those lists to the competition.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
No big deal,if you look at the small print most apps are spying on you one way or the other,i wonder who actually is looking at you through your own laptop web cam as you type because someone will be for sure.:D

jrmcferren

Enlightened
I'm not surprised users installed this. Too many people ignore the permissions of Android apps. I have trained my parents about the permissions and to always ask me if they think a permission is too risky. I have refused updates due to desired permissions (Home Depot wanted calendar access, but later removed it) and in one case since they refused to eliminate the permission from the update and my infrequent use of the app I uninstalled it (Dominoes wanted to record audio).

m1ke

Newly Enlightened
I'm not surprised users installed this. Too many people ignore the permissions of Android apps. I have trained my parents about the permissions and to always ask me if they think a permission is too risky. I have refused updates due to desired permissions (Home Depot wanted calendar access, but later removed it) and in one case since they refused to eliminate the permission from the update and my infrequent use of the app I uninstalled it (Dominoes wanted to record audio).

Problem is it seems most apps want permission for basically everything.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Why don't the carriers provide a flashlight app with the phone? It's a very simple app that doesn't take a large team of programmers to write and debug.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the biggest thing I miss from BlackBerry phones: You could deny each permission to any app. So if you didn't want your RestaurantSearch app to have your Location info, it shouldn't get it. It would ask for it instead, or lack that information.