Multi cell AA MT-GT flashlight

Tybo22

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if there are any Multi cell AA MT-G2 flashlights on the horizon??? Can aa lights even handle the MT-G2??? Would love to see one in the near future.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, as far as whether AA batteries could power an MT-G2, it really all comes down to numbers. Given enough AA batteries, you could literally light a city. So yes, you could build an MT-G2 powered light using AA batteries. In fact, if you ran a 6s3p arrangement, you could run an MT-G2 at full power for about two hours on common Eneloops (longer with Eneloop XXs or Duracell Ion Cores). This light would probably be about the size of a 5D Mag. But smaller lights could be made if less runtime is needed.

As far as anyone making such a light, I have not heard anything other than a vague rumor that Nitecore might be considering it. But that doesn't mean much. On the other hand, you could always build your own. One way would be to use a 2D Mag and run six AA batteries in two 3AA series holders (or 6 AA batteries in one series holder, if you can get one). You could run 24xAA on a 5D Mag. Or you could also run 18 AA batteries in six 3xAA parallel adaptors in a 6D Mag (or maybe that 6D light they sell at Autozone). Of course, at this point, you're probably better off running the light on D batteries.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer a 6s1p format. A Mag-2D sized light with the screaming output possible with the 6v MT-G2 at 3 amps would be well worth the 45 minute runtime on Max, and great runtime/options at lower power. But I'm not building these things... I just know that even a 2D-Mag sized light won't easily run the MT-G2 at maximum power for over fifteen minutes.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer a 6s1p format. A Mag-2D sized light with the screaming output possible with the 6v MT-G2 at 3 amps would be well worth the 45 minute runtime on Max, and great runtime/options at lower power. But I'm not building these things... I just know that even a 2D-Mag sized light won't easily run the MT-G2 at maximum power for over fifteen minutes.

So do you or don't you think 6xAA batteries could run an MT-G2? Anyway, 3A isn't a terribly high current for most NiMH AA batteries. You could certainly power an MT-G2 with six of them. However, with 2000mAH, you're looking at probably closer to 35-40 minutes at full power.

Enlightened
It would be a cumbersome product but I'd have a look at one (depending on physical form factor) were it available. I would be interested in using it as a do-it-all around the house light for everyone to use. Combination of common cells/safety with extreme floody beam and great tint.

Tybo22

Newly Enlightened
I would like something like a nitecore caveman with an MT-G2.....i think that would be the nutz.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Mag-2D sized light with the screaming output possible with the 6v MT-G2 at 3 amps would be well worth the 45 minute runtime on Max, and great runtime/options at lower power.

With 6S/2P M*g 3D you will get double run time, less stress to cells, less frequent recharging and best of all easy to recharge without need of removing from flashlight.
If you decided to go with
2S/2P protected 18650 (3400mAh), you will gain even more. (7.4 volt, 6800mAh) in shorter 2.5D M*g
Enjoy if you have one.
:thumbsup:

Last edited: