Fenix PD12 has arrived

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
My PD12 has arrived! It looks and works as expected. Changing The brightness levels takes a bit of getting used to but I think it can be done alright. But, after carrying it for a couple of days, the one thing that does bug me, that I didn't expect, is the side switch is hard to detect. When in my pocket I unscrew the head a half a turn to prevent accidental lighting. When I take it out I tighten the head and feel for the switch, but it is so small and right at the level of the body it's hard to notice. Most of the time I have to look at it to find it. It remembers the brightness it had the last time it was on. Even that is taking a bit of getting used to, for me anyway. For the last few years I've been carrying a 4Sevens quark mini. Takes about 2 seconds to pull that one out and set it to the brightness I want. But the PD12 is closer to 5 or 6 seconds. That should speed up a bit as I get used to it.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just looked at the official pics of it on Fenix's site again. I see what you mean--- that the button is fairly recessed. Honestly, you might not need to loosen the head if that is the only thing you have in one pocket. That would mean you don't have to tighten the head each time you take it out of your pocket.

It seems like a really cool light. I might consider getting one. So if I understand, you tap and hold down the switch from off to get to the highest setting, but if you just want any of the other settings you just tap once and then keep tapping to cycle? And then hold down for a second to turn off? Seems good actually.

I'm looking at the new TK12 xp-g2, but honestly my TK11 is so similar to that light still apart from being less bright and with not as nice of a beam tint/pattern. So maybe I'll get this light instead. I've been wanting a really small light like this. I don't have any single cr123 lights right now.

Post some outdoor beam shots and/or other pics if you want.

wjv

Enlightened
>> Honestly, you might not need to loosen the head if that is the only thing you have in one pocket.

I agree. I wouldn't loosen the head unless the light gives you an proven reason to do so (turns on in pocket).

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
I did try not unscrewing the head. It lasted for about 4 hours. Maybe my pants are too tight :) tightening it really doesn't take too much time. I'm so used it it with my previous edc that it's kinda automatic. I'm getting more used to the switch too. I carry it in the same pocket as my car keys. But since it's winter, keys are always in my coat pocket. The light is all alone in my pocket.

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that no one has posted a picture or video comparing the PD12 to the PD22. I figured I'd fix that oversight. Here is a size comparison of both of the single CR123A lights in the Fenix PD series:

ZJK937C.jpg

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that no one has posted a picture or video comparing the PD12 to the PD22. I figured I'd fix that oversight. Here is a size comparison of both of the single CR123A lights in the Fenix PD series:

ZJK937C.jpg
Thanks for posting the picture. I have a PD22, and have been curious about how the PD12 compares. I like the size of the battery tube, but does the light's head seem too big to EDC in a pants pocket? I EDC a PD22, and its size is just about right in my slacks pocket.

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting the picture. I have a PD22, and have been curious about how the PD12 compares. I like the size of the battery tube, but does the light's head seem too big to EDC in a pants pocket? I EDC a PD22, and its size is just about right in my slacks pocket.
It doesn't feel that big to me. The head is roughly the same diameter as the PD35, which I pocket carry often.

I really like the single button interface too. It seems like a refinement of the interface on the UC40.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't feel that big to me. The head is roughly the same diameter as the PD35, which I pocket carry often.

I really like the single button interface too. It seems like a refinement of the interface on the UC40.
Awesome! I have a drawer full of CR123a batteries in need of a few new flashlights!